Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Showing my flying, filming and editing skills (at last)

Reaction score
So, my last long foray into video editing was in 2005 with a doco I shot in Australia and Japan.

Drone experience history to date:
  • Bought Typhoon H Pro early Dec 2019
  • Day one and two little test flights being very careful
  • End of day two - gave husband the steering wheel and within 1 min flew it into a tree.
  • Two weeks out of action waiting for parts. H was put back together a few days before road tripping 1200km from home to Melbourne for Christmas then across the Bass Strait into Tasmania for three weeks. So instead of two weeks flying experience I travelled with NO experience. I spent Christmas time flying at the few local parks in Melbourne before going to Tassie.
  • Took it across Tassie and realised after a near miss in Queenstown I didn't do the compas calibration. Lesson learnt. Onwards to a friends place where I spent a week gingerly learning the concept of Aerial Real Estate Videography - yes I did the compass calibration after travelling more than 300km! OMHeavens what a difference the compas calibration makes. LOL
  • Back to Melbourne then back home to do my RePL - Remote Pilots Licence (Australia) and qualified end of January 2020.
  • Flew it a bit in local parks to get more familiar and comfortable then back to Melbourne March 6.
  • THEN Covid happened and I was in lockdown and isolation in Melbourne - 1200km from home - until I returned hom mid July.
SO ... having very little fly time and confidence it shat myself to even get it out! I had forgotten how to get it off the ground and had to YT it!

BUT fast forward to September 24 (today) and my confidence has expanded that I fly between the moored yachts, off lookouts to the horizon, low over water and rise up between trees to name a few things I do.

I've also decided I need to start to edit and show my work and stop hiding behind my insecurities.

Please feel free to guide me on the journey of how to shoot epic reveals and become a better videographer.

Yes, I've got a whole stack of YT saves, watched a bunch and know where I want to go with the art of drone flying and videography and editing.

Enjoy and maybe subscribe so you can know when I put a new one up. I'll try for at least one 30 second one every week at least and if I get on a roll more often or longer ones.

Thank you for your guidance on my journey so far and all your problem solving.

This is for you. xxx

So, my last long foray into video editing was in 2005 with a doco I shot in Australia and Japan.

• End of day two - gave husband the steering wheel and within 1 min flew it into a tree.
  • Two weeks out of action waiting for parts. H was put back together a few days before road tripping 1200km from home to Melbourne for Christmas then across the Bass Strait into Tasmania for three weeks. So instead of two weeks flying experience I travelled with NO experience. I spent Christmas time flying at the few local parks in Melbourne before going to Tassie.
  • Took it across Tassie and realised after a near miss in Queenstown I didn't do the compas calibration. Lesson learnt. Onwards to a friends place where I spent a week gingerly learning the concept of Aerial Real Estate Videography - yes I did the compass calibration after travelling more than 300km! OMHeavens what a difference the compas calibration makes. LOL
  • Back to Melbourne then back home to do my RePL - Remote Pilots Licence (Australia) and qualified end of January 2020.
  • Flew it a bit in local parks to get more familiar and comfortable then back to Melbourne March 6.
  • THEN Covid happened and I was in lockdown and isolation in Melbourne - 1200km from home - until I returned hom mid July.
SO ... having very little fly time and confidence it shat myself to even get it out! I had forgotten how to get it off the ground and had to YT it!

BUT fast forward to September 24 (today) and my confidence has expanded that I fly between the moored yachts, off lookouts to the horizon, low over water and rise up between trees to name a few things I do.

I've also decided I need to start to edit and show my work and stop hiding behind my insecurities.

Please feel free to guide me on the journey of how to shoot epic reveals and become a better videographer.

Yes, I've got a whole stack of YT saves, watched a bunch and know where I want to go with the art of drone flying and videography and editing.

Enjoy and maybe subscribe so you can know when I put a new one up. I'll try for at least one 30 second one every week at least and if I get on a roll more often or longer ones.

This is for you. xxx

awsome vids glad you got all the bugs worked out

• Love
Reactions: AussieCate
Glad to see you found your way here, everything you need to know about your H, and or flying can be had here ? Enjoy

Also want to tweak the camera tilt - it doesn't seem to work the way I expect it and want it to.
The camera tilt is rather clumsy and nearly everyone has a problem getting the speed and position they want. One method I've seen to overcome that problem is using a modified CCC mission, then transfer camera control to the right stick. While I have not tried it, I see no reason for it not to work.

Set up a CCC with just two waypoints maybe 50m apart. Start the mission but don't move the throttle. Transfer camera control to the right stick with the camera switches. At that point you have a tripod in the sky. You should be able to pan and tilt the camera smoothly using the right stick.

Your videos are excellent. The short clips of a variety of scenes and lighting conditions create an interesting and pleasing video. I really like your work.

I really enjoyed your videos. With the variety of clips I was left wanting more. I rarely feel that way with drone videos.

Changing rates on the camera tilt is a little challenging and I’ll have to find the thread where one of our members explained his setup.

You mention that you feel the yaw rate is too slow. Is that for control during flying the drone or for panning the camera? It is not hard to learn, but you have to be meticulous when changing settings. It is also a good idea to create a new model before making changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The camera tilt is rather clumsy and nearly everyone has a problem getting the speed and position they want. One method I've seen to overcome that problem is using a modified CCC mission, then transfer camera control to the right stick. While I have not tried it, I see no reason for it not to work.

Set up a CCC with just two waypoints maybe 50m apart. Start the mission but don't move the throttle. Transfer camera control to the right stick with the camera switches. At that point you have a tripod in the sky. You should be able to pan and tilt the camera smoothly using the right stick.

Your videos are excellent. The short clips of a variety of scenes and lighting conditions create an interesting and pleasing video. I really like your work.
Thank you Steve for your CCC info. I have yet to master that - I can't even get the Orbit to work like I expect it to so I just do everything manually.
Also thank you for your kind reply re my clips. Haven't put anything together the last few days ... lazy! I may get energy tonight to throw something together.

I really enjoyed your videos. With the variety of clips I was left wanting more. I rarely feel that way with drone videos.
Thank you - I don't want to bore viewers with 4 minutes of droning on ... pun intended ... so I'm trying to find my better clips and make short 30 second pieces.

Changing rates on the camera tilt is a little challenging and I’ll have to find the thread where one of our members explained his setup.
That bloody tilt! I can't get it right in either the middle nor the second. The middle selection is clunky and in the bottom selection I turn it up or down until I hear the beep and NOTHING is happening ... and I've flown by the view ... so I reverse up and start again. This time I go past the beep and the selector is almost towards the top before it even starts to move up (or down) and then it goes in such a speed! Argh! And so I remain in manual mode. I'm getting the hang of the pan, loving the bottom selection of putting it where I want it and can fly by. BUT then I get confused as to which way the bird is facing and get my flying back orientation out ... trying to fly properly without concentrating on the screen telling me where to go ... still learning.

You mention that you feel the yaw rate is too slow. Is that for control during flying the drone or for panning the camera? It is not hard to learn, but you have to be meticulous when changing settings. It is also a good idea to create a new model before making changes.
Yes the yaw of the drone is so slow to respond. Good idea making a new model for the changed settings. That may be next week's play.

This is for you. xxx

Great shots! Great editing as well! I was gonna post some of my prettier videos but not now, lol
Very nice indeed

Reactions: Chris Koch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me