Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Standby mode (obs)

On the controller for OBS theres 3 positions on the switch top= off, middle= stand by, bottom= on ? I'm confused what stand by, is, or does ?

@Ty Pilot ,

I thought the OBS switch for the H+ was the same as for the H480. Top and middle positions were off and bottom was on. There is no standby mode to my knowledge.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thanks Ty! It is different on the H+. I know the extended manual says that middle and bottom are ON for the H+.

For the H480 only the bottom position is on.

On the controller for OBS theres 3 positions on the switch top= off, middle= stand by, bottom= on ? I'm confused what stand by, is, or does ?

Where is the middle position marked as “standby”?

It's very simple and obvious.
High position = OFF. No signal on the screen and OBS off.
Middle position = ON Signaling on the screen and OBS off.
Low position = ON Signaling on the screen and OBS ACTIVE.

It's very simple and obvious.
High position = OFF. No signal on the screen and OBS off.
Middle position = ON Signaling on the screen and OBS off.
Low position = ON Signaling on the screen and OBS ACTIVE.
I was in panic mode the other day when I lost control of my H+ and it landed on its own, and I had no control, but it landed safely on my deck missing my lawn furniture by a foot, but within 3 feet of where I took off from ? Thats when I looked on my computer and read somewhere about the standby mode, when I first lost control there was a warning in yellow which I couldnt read as my glasses were at my computer ? Now my glasses are around my neck when I fly. Signaling ? can you elaborate on that somewhat ?

Well I must say since I never use OBS, I am not 100% familiar with it's operation. I just looked at page 12 in the manual (version I got when I purchased) and below is straight from the manual. . . .

OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE Switch

With sustainable GPS locked, the RealSense can be activated ONLY in angle mode by being switched
on except for the condition that the copter descends vertically at low speed with landing gear down.
When the RealSense is activated, the front motor LEDs will blink white and the ST16S screen will display
a [symbol]. When the OBSTACLE AVOID is switched on, the screen will pop up ‘OBS activated’ .
IMPORTANT NOTE: The environment requirement such as flight track might change depending on the
situation. Only when the icon on the ST16S screen is solid green, it means the OBSTACLE AVOID function
is activated.

So reading between the lines of the above, I am seeing what @claudius62 is saying. Though Yuneec never differentiates or tells us the steps to 'activate' RealSense and OBS, it does look like they are saying this is two different things thus; position two turns on the RS and the Display on the screen and thus shows you what it is seeing but it does not use this info.

Only when OBS is activated (third position)does it use the info from the RealSense to actively intervene in the flight.

Well I must say since I never use OBS, I am not 100% familiar with it's operation. I just looked at page 12 in the manual (version I got when I purchased) and below is straight from the manual. . . .

OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE Switch

With sustainable GPS locked, the RealSense can be activated ONLY in angle mode by being switched
on except for the condition that the copter descends vertically at low speed with landing gear down.
When the RealSense is activated, the front motor LEDs will blink white and the ST16S screen will display
a [symbol]. When the OBSTACLE AVOID is switched on, the screen will pop up ‘OBS activated’ .
IMPORTANT NOTE: The environment requirement such as flight track might change depending on the
situation. Only when the icon on the ST16S screen is solid green, it means the OBSTACLE AVOID function
is activated.

So reading between the lines of the above, I am seeing what @claudius62 is saying. Though Yuneec never differentiates or tells us the steps to 'activate' RealSense and OBS, it does look like they are saying this is two different things thus; position two turns on the RS and the Display on the screen and thus shows you what it is seeing but it does not use this info.

Only when OBS is activated (third position)does it use the info from the RealSense to actively intervene in the flight.
I know I put it in the middle position before take off, and real sense was on in the controller, and had the mushroom antenna on the controller at the time ? Time to put the 4hawks on ?

If it was in the middle position, then the RS was on and it could 'see' obstacles but was taking no action to avoid them as only the bottom position activates OBS. Again I have no experience with this but I am taking Claudius62 at his word along with seeing how the wording in the manual is done. I have another brand of drone and even when I turn off the OA, the sensors still see stuff and I get messages but the drone only reacts to my commands. So It would seem this is sort of what Yuneec has done but, they gave the Typhoon the extra step of turning off the display and messages and/or Radar scope display.

Reactions: johnnyb57
Now I'm not sure where I saw it later on I'll locate where I saw it ?

I'm not seeing it in any of the H+ manuals I have.

I never use it though.....it slows the aircraft waaaaay down and takes away alot of fine control by restricting you from getting close to things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430