Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Swollen but balanced battery

If you have a battery that won’t start to charge, set your charger to NiMh and give it one minute, at 1 amp of current per cell. It should then cycle normally on the LiPo setting.
Cycle it several times. Ideally, the cells will finish with a voltage nearly equal in each one. I did this with a Typhoon H LiPo battery, and after a few cycles it had the exact same voltage in each cell. I
I have quite a few drones, and a regular expense every year is buying batteries.

Are you serious? I guess this is a trick of the trade and a "try at your own risk?"

What you are advising is essentially exactly what the manuals say NOT to do.

This why you should always hover before taking off. I always hover, look at my voltage and test all my flight controls.
If you see quick successive drops in voltage while hovering, most likely your battery is failing, recharge it, if it continuous then battery is most likely bad.
I get quick successive drops in voltage seemingly no matter what I do, then it levels off for a good period of time and then successively drops.

I am under the impression that's normal.

Are you serious? I guess this is a trick of the trade and a "try at your own risk?"

What you are advising is essentially exactly what the manuals say NOT to do.
SWOLLEN BATTS ARE TICKING TIME BOMBS! Trust me, I had one that I just used to warm up and get satellites. It showed a full charge, so i took it up about 10 ft in my drive way. It hovered and then went 90 mph over my house. I killed the gps and brought it back just in time, it fought me all the way to the ground and flipped over. I took that battery out put a 8050 in and flew for 20 minutes all around my neighorhood.....No problems

SWOLLEN BATTS ARE TICKING TIME BOMBS! Trust me, I had one that I just used to warm up and get satellites. It showed a full charge, so i took it up about 10 ft in my drive way. It hovered and then went 90 mph over my house. I killed the gps and brought it back just in time, it fought me all the way to the ground and flipped over. I took that battery out put a 8050 in and flew for 20 minutes all around my neighorhood.....No problems
No argument about swollen batteries. But I think he was talking about LiPOs that won't charge, then charging them as if they are NiMH for 1 min at 1 amp (which to me sounds very not wise).

No argument about swollen batteries. But I think he was talking about LiPOs that won't charge, then charging them as if they are NiMH for 1 min at 1 amp (which to me sounds very not wise).

The practice of charging lipo batteries as if they were nimh is a trick that allows the charger to bypass the "cell too low" alarm, so as to bring the voltage to a minimum level that can then allow to start the balanced charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss