Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Thinking about purchasing a Mantis Q or should I wait for the Mantis G?

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at getting a mantis q but with rumor about the G, should I wait? Does anyone know when it will be released?

Do you still like and fly your mantis q?

Is there a another option of a portable drone I should maybe take a look at or you would have brought instead of the mantis q?

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket battery connector to charge the batteries with a aftermarket charger?

I would like to try to always have a smaller drone with me wherever I go and with a flight time of 30ish minutes a battery sounds great! My primary use would be for mainly photos.

I’ve been looking at getting a mantis q but with rumor about the G, should I wait? Does anyone know when it will be released?

Do you still like and fly your mantis q?

Is there a another option of a portable drone I should maybe take a look at or you would have brought instead of the mantis q?

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket battery connector to charge the batteries with a aftermarket charger?

I would like to try to always have a smaller drone with me wherever I go and with a flight time of 30ish minutes a battery sounds great! My primary use would be for mainly photos.
I’m satisfyed with the Mantis Q, you have to take it for what it is. It’s a small foldable drone with a 12,4 Mpix cam and 4K, only stabilized electronic. But it takes pictures good enough for me. If you should wait is up to you, but it’s not known when the release is coming to the new G. Here is a picture taken from 500 meter. Down there is My working truck as a little tiny toy even if it’s 24 meters long. I bought a kit of ND-filters suitable to DJI Mavic air.

Attachments

• 0FD0142F-2E34-4C37-9553-576AB566B9A8.jpeg
    0FD0142F-2E34-4C37-9553-576AB566B9A8.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 64
  • 5C44BAE5-D8C7-4B34-B9F4-0C4198DD4D8E.jpeg
    5C44BAE5-D8C7-4B34-B9F4-0C4198DD4D8E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 76C2CA5A-550F-474F-B8B0-E1160C28234A.jpeg
    76C2CA5A-550F-474F-B8B0-E1160C28234A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 61
Yeah I saw you bought those filters for it. I would buy them too if I purchase this q. Photos look good I think. Did you touch any of these pictures up with any software?

Viking, when you get time could you take a photo of what you did to get these filters to fit on there?

I wouldn't wait on the G. There has been very little information about it and it could be many months before it goes to market.
There are lots of options to choose from in this price range for foldable drones. All have their strong and weak points. The flight time, picture quality and flight distance favor the Q over many of the others on the market.

Reactions: Sully53
Viking, when you get time could you take a photo of what you did to get these filters to fit on there?
I took electrical tape and just a couple turns around the lens house so the threads could grip. The filters have inside threads and the tape is enough to hold them in place because they are so light. I didn’t do any software touchups to the pictures, just downloaded from the drone to a Ipad. Here is another picture, but this one did I touchup a little bit, but there is a sunset and really nice colours in the original.

Attachments

• 347C7335-6241-4F8D-B7EF-568360A0CA4F.jpeg
    347C7335-6241-4F8D-B7EF-568360A0CA4F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are set on buying a Mantis, wait until the G version comes out. The camera will be on a multi-axis gimbal so you will not have to worry about wind giving you a tilted horizon and the stability of the camera should be vastly improved.

This is my personal take on this, but I will not spend $500 on a drone without the camera having a multi-axis gimbal.

If you are set on buying a Mantis, wait until the G version comes out. The camera will be on a multi-axis gimbal so you will not have to worry about wind giving you a tilted horizon and the stability of the camera should be vastly improved.

This is my personal take on this, but I will not spend $500 on a drone without the camera having a multi-axis gimbal.

Thanks for the advice.

I am waiting patiently on the G. I saw the photos of it and it looks great. It shouldn’t be too long.
I don't look for the G to be released anytime soon. The pics you have seen are from prototypes. It takes months of testing and refinements before a new model goes into production. Then it can take another another couple of months to set up the manufacturing process with molds, building electrical components and boards. Then more testing on production units. The whole process can take a year from concept to release.

Word from Yuneec is that the Mantis G is released in China and is in production, but may never make it across the pond due to business reasons. The team is still working on getting it to the US, but there is no release date for the US as of yet.

I have a link to an article that is in Chinese and will post it after I get a complete download and do a Google Translation. The photos were taking a long time to D/L.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I translated the review by LinsonW and copied the webpage and pasted into MS Word and saved as a PDF to upload here.

Hoping things get ironed out so the Mantis G makes it to the US and European markets.

Attachments

• LinsonW Mantis G review.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Not a problem, and it could have looked a little better if I adjusted page length in Word, but it’s hard to find a happy value when the original document is in html with no pagination settings.

Not a problem, and it could have looked a little better if I adjusted page length in Word, but it’s hard to find a happy value when the original document is in html with no pagination settings.
It’s not My decision, but don’t think it’s propriate to put out this info due to the message to member MCDC from Yuneec HQ product manager Lance Fung.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not My decision, but don’t think it’s propriate to put out this info due to the massage to member MCDC from Yuneec HQ product manager Lance Fung.

I'd vote against such a thing. Independent forums are not company tools for product timing or corporate manipulation. Info is info. If a company releases a product or press release in any market it becomes fodder for enthusiasts and users of that product line worldwide. This be 2019 and info is king. If a corp wants control of how a product is released into market then they need to understand that global communication is now the norm.

My reply to such a request is "Sorry gents, you let the cat out of the bag. It ain't anybody else's job to put it back in."

On a more personal note, I'd lose a great amount of respect for this forum if it started editing available information at the request of ANY product manufacturer.

Last edited:
@Viking

I was given the information by the author of the review and given permission to post it on the forum. When I am given information like this it never shows up in a public forum without the express permission of the source.

I translated the review by LinsonW and copied the webpage and pasted into MS Word and saved as a PDF to upload here.

Hoping things get ironed out so the Mantis G makes it to the US and European markets.
Looks like a winner if it ever gets released!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval