Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

tracking if lost mantis q

No, this is not normal. But compass errors are usual reason for fly-aways. This is a SW thing when things happen that the programmer did not expect. The flight controller SW cannot handle the wrong sensor data in some cases.
From my point of view this is a warranty case. Flight log file is there as evidence.

Timeline:
Take off: 01:10 after boot; Start of compass errors (geomagnetic field stuff): 01:26; Critical positioning warnings 01:38/01:39.

I have compared stick input and the behaviour of the copter as result.

1) Throttle: It follows the stick input until 02:30 after boot. Then it climbed by itself.
View attachment 18346

2) Pitch: It follows the stick input all the time. Don't forget, you are in manual mode since 01:39 (29 sec after take off).

View attachment 18344

3) Roll: It follows the stick input until there is an unexpected spike in roll at 02:28.

View attachment 18345

4) Yaw: It follows the stick input all the time.
View attachment 18347

This means, you could control the copter at least until 02:28 (78sec after take off) but it was too far away to see how it reacting.

View attachment 18348View attachment 18343

br HE

@h-elsner,

Your statement regarding fly-aways hit a chord: "This is a SW thing when things happen that the programmer did not expect."

This got me thinking... I wonder it it would be possible for the "programmers" to code an option, either hard-coded or user adjustable, to set a fence similar to the Typhoon H SmartMode distance limit. An example would be:

1. Expected max distance from controller for flight: 2000 feet
  2. Set fence at 2100 feet.
  3. If the flight controller receives a command from any input (sticks, compass, et al) that would cause the craft to exceed this fence, the appropriate action would be invoked, such as hover in place.
What this is really asking for is a user-defined fence outside of any SafeMode operation. Something that can be easily overridden, but available should a pilot desire to invoke a fault handling option in the hopes of mitigating situations or component failures that result in fly-aways.

It sounds good in my mind, but I also see some dependencies. The above would have to assume the GPS positioning, and thus distance calculations from controller, would be accurate at all times.

Anyway, room for fault tolerance/fault handling, from a programming standpoint.

Jeff

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop