Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H and Mavic owner here!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mavic pro to add to my flying arsenal.

After 10+ flights I have to say that I really like it compared to the older Phantom I had and sold.
I find it really smooth and comparable to my Typhoon H when it comes to movement... I assume it's mainy
due to it's size... I'd expect that if it were too fast then there would be lots of jerky video so the scale of the model - with a little expo dialed into the Mavic itself and on the gimbal, it behaves similar to the H, eases in and out of starting and stopping.

Some of the things I dont really care for are... I just find my phone a little too small (Google Pixel XL), the app crashes a lot, almost every flight results in the app crashing or quitting... re-running the app leaves off where it was though so that's good.... but leaves me just a little wary. I have never crashed the Typhoon H app on the st-16. The app software is quite in depth. If I compare it to the H, I think the H app or interface design is a little simplier and thats what I like and prefer. It's probably due to me not going through the manual and testing options but at times I was left thinking? What am I doing...I'm lost.

The default setting for the camera WB works really well and I love that I have the exposure set on the right dial
and it works perfect when filming 90 degrees down when you need more exposure. I love the controller.
It feels great in my hands and I like having the display to the bottom of the controller, closer to my body.
This helps a little with glare. The LED readout on the controller has all the cutial data and is really bright....
I like it as a HUD, it works well compared to having to look for little details on the phone.

I find the default video and photo settings on the Mavic way too over processed... images and video have that muddy .jpg look and slight grain. I can't explain it but I prefer my H so far. I am using and upgraded 3.7mm lens on my H and the default video setting on my H work better in my opinion. I'm sure I could tweak the color, sharpness, etc.of the Mavic to get better results but I feel I really shouldnt have to. I find that the mavic camera tends to over expose all the time, and when I dial down the exposure to allow for the sky blowout, it leaves
the landscape under exposed. I dont ever have this problem with my H. It feels more balanced.

The mavic is quite a bit heavier than I expected it to be... I think thats a good thing because it will help stability in the sky/wind, however, due to it's size, it will fight the wind alot. I live in St. Joh'n Newfoundland... wind capital of the world... every flight so far on the mavic resulted in the app flashing wind warnings. Not a fan of that because Iknow it's windy. :) and I am constantly reminded. The H loves the wind... and while you cant really compare the 2 due to size, the H is way more adaptable.

I really like both but I enjoy my H more. It feels more secure for some reason, maybe due to it's size.
I also like the fact that it's bigger and way more visible when getting a shot framed LOS. The mavic is great for
when you want to just grab it, throw it in the car and head out. If going on a planned shoot I would take both - fulling knowing the H will be the first choice.

When the weather gets better I will try out more advanced options on both and see how they compare.

PEACE

I had a Mavic for a week but found the gimbal to be a really weak aspect of the design. Every time I stopped the drone abruptly it would jump, causing a visible jump in the video, and I was also really concerned about how fragile it was, especially the tiny ribbons and rubber bands. Coupled with an app that was hugely unpredictable on a 'good' (Nexus 6p) android handset, I found it just not good enough. A real shame because the range, flight behaviour and battery life was fantastic. I sent it back and have gone with a Typhoon H, which I have flown before and enjoyed flying more. To me it just has more soul...if that makes any sense ?

I still go to my H more than the Mavic. The gimbal gets wonky for me in sport mode on the mavic when stopping as well.
As well, the gimbal tilt slowly drifts and becomes off level almost every flight. App crashes every flight too on my
google pixel xl.

I considered the Mavic strongly before I decided on the H. Based on consumer stories, the Mavic did not seem to work well with Android phones and tablets.

I find I am using my Mavic mostly when I travel. I hate having to connect my phone to the controller. I recently did some aerial photography in Ukraine and the Mavic worked great for that trip.

NBLAmBNMZTNAV5MA9

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz