Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Uncontrolled crash during curved cable cam

Reaction score
Today my Typhoon H, just a week old, flew itself into the ground and destroyed the camera. I've already contacted support, but I'd like forum members opinions on the flight log data.

I'd also like to know if anyone has successfully returned a broken Typhoon H to B&H - I believe I'm still within my return window, and rather than deal with ANOTHER copter company (long time DJI flyer before this) for weeks, I think I'd rather just make it B&H's problem. Not even sure that this is possible.

I'm running the B23 firmware version, not the one from this morning. I also had to change the telemetry, GPS and remote file extension from CSV to TXT as the forums don't allow uploads of CSVs (?)

Here's what I sent to support. Any feedback appreciated.

Today I was setting up a Curved Cable Cam mission and on starting it, the Typhoon flew to the first point and subsequently flew into the ground, breaking the camera, and bouncing back up in the air. I immediately attempted to land but ended up having to turn off the motors, which caused it to crash to the ground a second time.

Here is what I have seen is broken:
  • Camera will no longer turn/rotate
  • One arm will no longer lock into its locked position
  • Camera appears to be bent and housing is cracked
  • Camera never fully initializes
  • A piece of something (likely the arm retention piece) is bouncing around inside the main body

I would like my system repaired free of charge in a reasonable amount of time (2 weeks or less). I fully believe the Typhoon flew itself into the ground during the cable cam mission, and damaged the camera. I may have caused more damage trying to land it, but that's not my fault, as the craft was in an unstable flight at that point.

I have attached the Telemetry, GPS, and Remote logs for the last three flights, the last two being when I tried to test the system after the crash. Flight #17 is the crash during Curved Cable Cam.

20160913-untitled-17.jpg 20160913-untitled-15.jpg 20160913-untitled-2-2.jpg 20160913-untitled-1-2.jpg

Attachments

• Remote_00017.txt
    252 KB · Views: 14
  • RemoteGPS_00017.txt
    28.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Telemetry_00017.txt
    688.1 KB · Views: 12
Sorry to hear about your loss.

How close to the ground was the first way point suppose to be?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

How close to the ground was the first way point suppose to be?

Good question. I'd say about 5 feet or so. I do have video both from the ST16 and the SD card (it was damaged and takes forever to get files off of it) showing me planning the CCC. I'm beginning to wonder if the accuracy of CCC and the waypoints is to blame. While I love the features of the H, it definitely is not as solid GPS or waypoint-wise compared to my DJI platforms.

Do we know if there is a minimum height for CCC? I didn't see it in the GUI or online anywhere.

it has been mentioned in several posts to not get to close too the ground. 10 meters to be safe..,.unfortunately, that was probably your mistake...sorry to say. but setting a CCC waypoint that close to the ground is asking for trouble. These are hobby grade gps components not military. Just look at the Alt reading on any ST 16 ...they are never right. Not sure what Yuneec or B&H will do for you. I wish you luck. I would suggest you check out the multitude of YouTube videos on the CCC and other advanced GPS functions of the H in your downtime. Im sure you'll pick up a lot of good tips that may prevent this type of situation happening again...

Last edited:
I do have to say that Yuneec support are already ahead of the competition in the basics. Within 10 minutes of emailing them, I have a case number, and they are getting the shipping label ready for me to return it. Brandon Souza is helping me thus far.

Reactions: Art-Tistic
it has been mention in several posts to not get to close too the ground. 10 meters to be safe..,.unfortunately, that was probably your mistake...sorry to say. but setting a CCC waypoint that close to the ground is asking for trouble. These are hobby grade gps components not military. Just look at the Alt reading on any ST 16 ...they are never right. Not sure what Yuneec or B&H will do for. I wish you luck. I would suggest you check out the multitude of youtube videos on the CCC and other advanced GPS functions of the H in your downtime. Im sure you'll pick up a lot of good tips that may prevent this type of situation happening again...

Thanks. I've used a similar feature on two other manufacturer's products, and have never had this issue. Part of the downward facing ultrasonic (or whatever they might be on the H) sensors should be to avoid getting to low to the ground. While I understand GPS isn't going to be that accurate with consumer stuff, height is a different situation.

You're right. Those downward facing sonar sensors SHOULD keep the thing off the **** floor.

But apparently they don't.... yet. It seems as though all obstacle avoidance tech thats built in is disabled in the "task modes." Very dumb.

Reactions: stevemitchell
You're right. Those downward facing sonar sensors SHOULD keep the thing off the **** floor.

But apparently they don't.... yet. It seems as though all obstacle avoidance tech thats built in is disabled in the "task modes." Very dumb.

Strange. I wonder what the point of them is, then? To assist with landing?

Bad luck. As others have said, you need to allow space as unlike other products that just fly in straight lines, the Typhoon flies a smooth curved path (the 'curved' in curved cable cam), That can include dropping down below the initial height if you have waypoints that vary by a large altitude.

The downward facing ultrasonics and camera are part of the IPS *Indoor* Positioning System. They help maintain a stable position when you hover below 20'. However, they don't stop you from flying downwards if you want to, and don't form part of the obstacle avoidance system (the front facing sonar).

it has been mention in several posts to not get to close too the ground. 10 meters to be safe..,.unfortunately, that was probably your mistake...sorry to say. but setting a CCC waypoint that close to the ground is asking for trouble. These are hobby grade gps components not military. Just look at the Alt reading on any ST 16 ...they are never right. Not sure what Yuneec or B&H will do for. I wish you luck. I would suggest you check out the multitude of youtube videos on the CCC and other advanced GPS functions of the H in your downtime. Im sure you'll pick up a lot of good tips that may prevent this type of situation happening again...

Very true, Art, and 10 meters sounds good, unless in hills and valleys. While the Pro with RealSense does have IPS, it faces straight down, and with forward speed cannot know about a sudden increase coming in elevation.

There is abundant info out there on this situation, but Yuneec is remiss in not providing more guidance and a real owners manual.

I didn't realize you had the Pro (realsense module) was it engaged? regardless, Tuna nailed the curved comment..... something that needs to be considered.... hoping yuneec takes care of you....technically not operator error.

I'm afraid 5 feet (your guess) is not enough clearance...as someone has already mentioned there is several feet of variability when using cable cam...I read that in a post on here and noted that before I flew. I first flew in a very loose cable cam set-up to see how much "slop" there was. It was indeed several feet and knowing this I've been able to fly trouble free...had I not known this I would be in the same position you're in now. I'm not addressing you in particular since you've already found out the hard way. This missive is to others who may be new to the H and could have the same problem. I noticed the most variability upon having it fly back to me backwards in cable cam...good luck with your requests to have your service within two weeks and paid for by Yuneec...while I sympathize with you I hope others read this and fly knowing the cable cam does not fly in vectors precisely but rather smooth ovals which have variability.

Ok I get that low waypoints sound like a contributing factor, but:
  • Other products don't do this
  • The manual and ST16 setup process do not warn of this
At the least, the ST16 should advise you when you set waypoints to low, or at least throw up a warning. Two other competitors products I've used have various limits in place for features like this, and warn or prevent you from doing something that will result in a crash.

I'm afraid 5 feet (your guess) is not enough clearance...as someone has already mentioned there is several feet of variability when using cable cam...I read that in a post on here and noted that before I flew. I first flew in a very loose cable cam set-up to see how much "slop" there was. It was indeed several feet and knowing this I've been able to fly trouble free...had I not known this I would be in the same position you're in now. I'm not addressing you in particular since you've already found out the hard way. This missive is to others who may be new to the H and could have the same problem. I noticed the most variability upon having it fly back to me backwards in cable cam...good luck with your requests to have your service within two weeks and paid for by Yuneec...while I sympathize with you I hope others read this and fly knowing the cable cam does not fly in vectors precisely but rather smooth ovals which have variability.

I've used CCC several times before without any issues.
Very true, Art, and 10 meters sounds good, unless in hills and valleys. While the Pro with RealSense does have IPS, it faces straight down, and with forward speed cannot know about a sudden increase coming in elevation.

There is abundant info out there on this situation, but Yuneec is remiss in not providing more guidance and a real owners manual.

Thanks - completely agree on guidance or at least something in the UI on the ST16 listing limits/recommendations. If I have to read an entire forum to find out about every feature I want to use, I'll never fly! :)

Anyone know what the turnaround time currently is for warranty repairs? I know I was being optimistic, just wanted to see what they'd say :)

I didn't realize you had the Pro (realsense module) was it engaged? regardless, Tuna nailed the curved comment..... something that needs to be considered.... hoping yuneec takes care of you....technically not operator error.

I did not have RealSense engaged. I have had very mixed results with it causing wild flight characteristics. I'm still learning how it behaves to ensure I don't create a bigger problem. Of course, as already stated by others, it likely would not have helped.

Yes, agreed, technically not operator error, but we will see what Yuneec support does...

I have flown CCC at about 3 metres off the ground on a few occasions with absolutely now variation in the height. I accept I may have been lucky, or it may have been because the waypoints were all fairly level. I know this doesn't help your situation and I hope you get it sorted but this thread has served to make me a little more careful from now.

Reactions: stevemitchell
Turn around time for my stuff was a little over three weeks from the time I sent it in to getting it back.
If realsense is off do the downward facing sensors even work?

I did not know DJI had a cable cam feature. How does it work? It will work 5 feet off the gown and hold that altitude while moving waypoint to waypoint?

Turn around time for my stuff was a little over three weeks from the time I sent it in to getting it back.
If realsense is off do the downward facing sensors even work?

Thanks! That's hopeful from a timing perspective. Not sure on the sensors. Some folks have said they only work indoors sans-GPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval