Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

USA - Bad drone legislation in the US

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Attention US drone owners (r/c too!).

Utah's Senator Lee is at it again with his "Drone Integration and Zoning Act" bill.

DSP Alliance and other organizations were informed of this yesterday. Kenji and I are working with some other organizations to put together a unified approach to make sure this bill doesn't become law once it's submitted.

Stay tuned.

More info: Lee’s Dangerous and Destructive Draft Legislation – Drone Service Providers Alliance (admin approved link)

• Wow
Reactions: Steve Carr
The willingness of the FAA to allow this kind of legislation to proceed could be interpreted as complicity.

I have already written to my Representative in the House. I’ll be writing to my Senators today. I can’t believe this jerk is starting in on this again. Maybe he should try banning the use of cell phones within 200 feet of any person for fear of privacy concerns. Also all traffic cams and security cams should be banned as they invade our privacy. While he is at it go ahead and ban the use of our military drones over US soil as they also violate our privacy.

Hopefully more level heads will prevail and Senator ‘Bozo’ Lee will get this portion of the bill shot down in committee before it ever reaches the floor. I thought this was pigeon holed well over a year ago. I can’t believe he is starting this up again.

Does anyone have the Senate Bill number for this? I didn’t see it in the referenced article.

Utah's Senator Lee is at it again with his "Drone Integration and Zoning Act" bill.

DSP Alliance and other organizations were informed of this yesterday. Kenji and I are working with some other organizations to put together a unified approach to make sure this bill doesn't become law once it's submitted.

Stay tuned.

More info: Lee’s Dangerous and Destructive Draft Legislation – Drone Service Providers Alliance (admin approved link)
is this guy a Democrat or Republican. trust me it makes a difference.

Look people, Republican or Democrat or any other party has no bearing on this and that jousting match will not be tolerated on the forum.

What does matter is that is that this needs to be killed in committee or on the floor. So write to your respective Senators and Representatives and let them know you are opposed to this proposed law.

is this guy a Democrat or Republican. trust me it makes a difference.

It makes ZERO difference. The legislation is BAD regardless who presented it. Side of the isle, race, sex, religion doesn't matter. Bad legislation is Bad Legislation... period.

Look people, Republican or Democrat or any other party has no bearing on this and that jousting match will not be tolerated on the forum.

What does matter is that is that this needs to be killed in committee or on the floor. So write to your respective Senators and Representatives and let them know you are opposed to this proposed law.
Very well stated and 100% accurate.

Stay tuned.

Guys, you are still lucky...here in Europe it's worster then there in the USA!
Now more and more with new Easa regulation... (European Aviation Safety Agency).

This is not the same. EASA asks to follow the order and gives privileges if you satisfy the rules and requests. In the US no way to obtain similar privileges doesn't matter ready you cover all requests or not.

Licensing regime is the best one, which is developed in the world. Restrictions only force the people to avoid or go over the rules.

This is not the same. EASA asks to follow the order and gives privileges if you satisfy the rules and requests. In the US no way to obtain similar privileges doesn't matter ready you cover all requests or not.

Licensing regime is the best one, which is developed in the world. Restrictions only force the people to avoid or go over the rules.
Agree, for professional users. If you fly for hobby, now you're compared to a professional pilot, that means everybody need to register himself as a pilot, register the aircraft(s), have an insurance, know and respect regulations, so, here in Italy, you can never fly as I see in the videos posted here on the forum.
You fly over roads, highways, cities, beaches etc...here it's all prohibited.
The question is another : how many of whom buys a drone knows these regulation?
These regulation are seen as restrictions of what you could do before, so people, as you say, prefer to risk to get a fine instead of paying hundred euros to regularize their position.

The new EASA regulations will give permission to use your privileges everywhere. About the US. Let someone explain to me about this corridor AGL. This is the safest altitude, no way to take a look in the neighbor's backyard, or what is the reason to prepare this act? Yes, I'm respecting prohibited zones, doesn't matter temporal or forever they are restricted. But there is no restriction, different especially for UAV, different from all other airborne devices. Tried to regulate paraplanners with motors and deltaplanners, but without any success. The risk for the rest is miserable with relation to risk to yourself.

Agree, for professional users. If you fly for hobby, now you're compared to a professional pilot, that means everybody need to register himself as a pilot, register the aircraft(s), have an insurance, know and respect regulations, so, here in Italy, you can never fly as I see in the videos posted here on the forum.
You fly over roads, highways, cities, beaches etc...here it's all prohibited.
The question is another : how many of whom buys a drone knows these regulation?
These regulation are seen as restrictions of what you could do before, so people, as you say, prefer to risk to get a fine instead of paying hundred euros to regularize their position.
While I agree that everyone needs to follow the rules we have now it has nothing to do with what Senator Lee is proposing. His bill is all about supposed privacy issues with drones. The problem is that they are no more invasive of privacy than the thousands of cell phones, traffic cams, security cameras, etc., but he is not addressing them.

I have been a recreational pilot for two years and had no trouble getting on the FAA website and checking rules before I took my first flight. I have learned more over those two years, and improvements were made by implementing LAANC to obtain clearance inside controlled airspace. That was a step forward and make life easier for all drone pilots in the USA. Lee’s proposal is step toward tyranny and fascism and needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Reactions: Mike Irish
That's the same here in Italy (Europe).
Nobody can takeoff his drone from his garden or backyard.
It's forbidden fly at less than 150 meters from any house.
It's forbidden to fly over people not informed.
About the privacy, you cannot film or take picture of anybody without his written permission, but like there, you can do with your smartphone.
Where is the difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Irish
We do not want the same here. We already have as part of the law that you cannot fly over people or moving vehicles. That is enough and we don’t need anymore restrictions than what we already have.

I do not comment on other countries drone laws and prefer that others not put their two cents worth in on those in the USA. If I go to another country I’ll abide their laws just as I would expect others to respect ours when they visit here.

Mine was only a comparison between our country laws.
We also here in Italy did not want these laws, but in the end we find them active. I hope you will be able to block it before it is implemented.
@Pier2162 I apologize if that came off sounding like a personal attack. That was not the intention of my post. I do sympathize with those in other countries where I would consider the laws to be over reaching, but since I am not a citizen there I choose to refrain from voicing my opinion.

What upsets me about this being reintroduced is that we thought Sen. Lee would drop this idea after it came to a halt over a year ago. But NO, here he comes again with the same cockamamie idea once again. I’ve got better things to do than waste my time writing to my lawmakers about one of their contemporaries whizzing in my Wheaties once again.

Lets be honest here are restrictions really followed by everyone ? And how are/would be enforced ? Seems the more controls that are put in place, the more that will break those rules, and simply not comply... Heres an example, you cant take off, or land in a state park but if you approach a ranger they will let you for the most part ? Either they dont know, or dont care... There will never be total compliance regardless ?

If you're worried about rules and regulations now!

Just wait until a few more thousand DJI FPV drones start hitting people and objects as they travel 87 mph in level flight and in excess on 110 mph in a dive. There is presently hundreds of Idiots posting videos of them flying these missiles in public parks full of people, over houses and highways. The DJI FPV might be the one single source to be the core that has us all restricted to flying solely in AMA flying fields.

Coming from old school, I've seen this exact thing happen to RC Helicopters, when 3D Flying became a craze. In just one year, a pilot and a spectator were killed with an RC helicopter.

Fly-Safe - Mike Mas

Reactions: Pier2162
I don't think the the problem is DJI fpv, but people that does not respect rules.
A brand or another doesn't matter...fpv exists from many years before dji. In Europe fpv is permitted outdoor (from 1st January of this year) only if you fly with a spotter close to you, that must be in VLOS with the drone, don't know if there in USA laws are different, in any case I agree that it's dangerous, at the same way of people that flies a drone (fpv or not...) without knowing that can cause serious injuries to other people.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval