Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another video “trick”

CraigCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I recently finally got a Real Sense version and put the module on my most reliable 480 that has extended antenna mods plus Itelite range booster at ST. The IPS is the main reason I wanted RS as it won’t let you go below about 3’ above the ground when the gear is up.

The altitude graphic sometimes appears and sometimes doesn’t which I’ve written off to the usual Yuneec quirks but it knows what’s up (or down in this case) regardless of graphic back up. When OBS is engaged, flight speed is reduced. In turtle mode with OBS on, I find the slow speed is really great for long low level smooth push ins or pull backs. I see it as it’s own flight mode for super slow motion movements. I’ve successfully cruised at 3’ over cactus fields with no fear of hitting anything by slowly gaining trust and understanding of how to incorporate all the flight features to my personal tastes. Over two years of piloting and still learning how awesome the TH 480 is.

Will obviously need confirmation when released, but that brings up an interesting point... if the RS module is the same for the H+ we could purchase the standard H+ and swap in an RS module from our existing TH 480... :)

Not so sure there wouldn't be some firmware differences between the TH480 and the TH480+ that wouldn't make the swap difficult or impossible. As you say, come mid year we should know more.

Greetings everyone. I recently finally got a Real Sense version and put the module on my most reliable 480 that has extended antenna mods plus Itelite range booster at ST. The IPS is the main reason I wanted RS as it won’t let you go below about 3’ above the ground when the gear is up.

The altitude graphic sometimes appears and sometimes doesn’t which I’ve written off to the usual Yuneec quirks but it knows what’s up (or down in this case) regardless of graphic back up. When OBS is engaged, flight speed is reduced. In turtle mode with OBS on, I find the slow speed is really great for long low level smooth push ins or pull backs. I see it as it’s own flight mode for super slow motion movements. I’ve successfully cruised at 3’ over cactus fields with no fear of hitting anything by slowly gaining trust and understanding of how to incorporate all the flight features to my personal tastes. Over two years of piloting and still learning how awesome the TH 480 is.
Craig: I have Real; Sense on my H also but I have not used it yet. Trying other things first. My H will not decend below 3 or 4 ft AGL with the gear up. However I was under the impression that this was because the sonar sensors under the H are what prevent the decent. As I said my RS has never been turned on so what is actually preventing the decent?

Whow! Thanks Craig.

I have had the RS module since day one about 18 months ago, and have only used it for RTH in emergency's. I will turn it on and give it a try for the slower speed handling. I already do fly very low and slow. Here is a short low level flight while testing the Avegant Glyph googles last weekend. This is about 1/2 mile out.

Reactions: rdonson
Craig: I have Real; Sense on my H also but I have not used it yet. Trying other things first. My H will not decend below 3 or 4 ft AGL with the gear up. However I was under the impression that this was because the sonar sensors under the H are what prevent the decent. As I said my RS has never been turned on so what is actually preventing the decent?

I have 2 TH 480 - one with RS and one without.

The Yuneec implementation of RS adds two down facing sonar sensors as well as the forward light spectrum sensors. Typically I think the down facing sensors are for the IPS (indoor positioning sensors) but I'm not sure its limited to that.

upload_2018-2-8_22-4-27.png

upload_2018-2-8_22-4-47.png

So without RS and those two downward facing sensors I still would like to know what actually prevents the H from landing gear up? If the RS is off are those downward facing sensors even active?

Good question. I don’t think the altimeter reading is accurate enough to be relied on for that.

Without RS and gear up you can descend all the way into the ground. I’ve done it in a shot where I was heads down into the monitor and my spotter deserted me at my critical altitude. Bottom line is the camera is not a landing wheel. With the RS, you can do this regardless of smart or angle mode. It really helps and for sure my RS kit is first choice for any close and low tight work.

Reactions: rdonson
Did not know that. Thanks Craig. So even with RS turned off, the bottom sensors must be active and sense the ground thereby preventing you from landing gear up?

Did not know that. Thanks Craig. So even with RS turned off, the bottom sensors must be active and sense the ground thereby preventing you from landing gear up?

Do you have RS turned on in the ST16? System Settings, Other Settings, check the box for Real Sense Module installed.

That might be a requisite for the behavior that Craig describes.

No I do not Ron. Have not used it yet but it certainly stops me from trying to land "gear up" so I'm thinking those bottom sensors must be active all the time?

Yuneec never clearly explained their implementation of RS and the bottom sensors so your guess is a good as mine.

I do know that when I turn on OBS its does a better job with the RS module installed and active in avoiding things. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing it working with "Follow Me". "Jules _Flies" shows the IPS working outdoors on YouTube.

I intend to try RS soon and I have seen all those videos also. In the real world I fly in, the main advantage to RS for me is probably going to be the protection from landing gear up. Have to wait until I try RS to know for sure.

In this video Jules shows the installation and test of his RS module. At 15m24s in he demonstrates that with the RS installed it won't allow him to land with the landing gear up.

@JulesTEO

Ron: Its the Sonar that stops the H from flying into the wall correct? The RS comes into play if you have you are in follow me mode and if you are, yourself, manuvering around tress or such the RS will take the bird around the tree and keep following you. Is this correct?

?

My understanding is if you don't have RS active and you turn on OBS then it is the front facing Sonar that keeps you from flying into a wall.

Whow! Thanks Craig.

I have had the RS module since day one about 18 months ago, and have only used it for RTH in emergency's. I will turn it on and give it a try for the slower speed handling. I already do fly very low and slow. Here is a short low level flight while testing the Avegant Glyph googles last weekend. This is about 1/2 mile out.

How do you like the Avegant goggles? Been debating buying a pair. Does head tracking for the camera work on the H?

If one selects to RTH his H what kind of emergency would necessitate turning on RS during the RTH maneuver?
Found the answer. thanks!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49