Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Antennas with ST16

Reaction score
When I purchased my Typhoon H recently the ST16 came out of the box with three antennas. One small flat faced antenna flanked by two 5" rod antennas. In the accessories box there was a fourth mushroom antenna.

The documentation only shows two antennas on the ST16, one 5" and the mushroom. I replaced the right-hand 5" with the mushroom antenna from the accessories box.

Is this 3 antenna configuration correct? Left to right 5", small flat faced in center, mushroom right.

No use the 2 stright ant. On the outside those are your 2.4ghz. The middle is your 5.8ghz. The flat ant is called a patch and and the other clover leaf are for the 5.8.
The patch is directional so keep it pointed at H. The Cloverleaf is omni but less range.
So left to right
5",,, clover,,,5"
Or
5",,, patch,,,5"

No use the 2 stright ant. On the outside those are your 2.4ghz. The middle is your 5.8ghz. The flat ant is called a patch and and the other clover leaf are for the 5.8.
The patch is directional so keep it pointed at H. The Cloverleaf is omni but less range.
So left to right
5",,, clover,,,5"
Or
5",,, patch,,,5"
Thanx

So left to right
5",,, clover,,,5"
Or
5",,, patch,,,5"

Is there a condition where you would choose clover over patch?

Flying behind you or where you don't want to keep patch pointed at the H. I fly with path 100% as I'm always pointed in the direction of the H.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Is that something new Yuneec is doing, including a cloverleaf antenna now? I purchased my H pro about a year ago and it came with only the 2 stick antennas and the patch antenna no cloverleaf.

I bought my TH about 5 months ago, and it came with 1 stick antenna, the round "Mushroom" antenna, and a "Square-ish" antenna that is the same size as the mushroom antenna. The square one has "GPS" molded into the top face of it. Without knowing what was for what, I installed the stick antenna on the left of my controller (ST16) and the square one on the right. I've been flying without issue since. I'm wondering if the square antenna is the "Clover leaf" antenna that Drone On and Marine One mentions. My ST16 only has provisions for 2 antennas, and everyone seems to be using 3. I figure it's a build version thing with the ST16. But as I said, I have not had any issues.

I bought my TH about 5 months ago, and it came with 1 stick antenna, the round "Mushroom" antenna, and a "Square-ish" antenna that is the same size as the mushroom antenna. The square one has "GPS" molded into the top face of it. Without knowing what was for what, I installed the stick antenna on the left of my controller (ST16) and the square one on the right. I've been flying without issue since. I'm wondering if the square antenna is the "Clover leaf" antenna that Drone On and Marine One mentions. My ST16 only has provisions for 2 antennas, and everyone seems to be using 3. I figure it's a build version thing with the ST16. But as I said, I have not had any issues.

My flat square antenna just says Yuneec on top. Mine came with 2 foldable stick antennas. Yours only came with one stick antenna. one mushroom and one flat?

YUP! But all works well. I'll try and add pics of what I got, and how I have it set up. This computer technology is too fast for this old farts brain to stay on top of.

YUP. And I correct myself in stating that the square one says Yuneec on top. Not GPS. The sticker that was on it said GPS. And verbiage on the sticker said "For best performance" use this one. So I have been since without issue. If this works, you can see what I got, and what I use.IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2047.JPG

You bought your H 5 months ago and your ST 16 only has 2 antennas? Is your's an H or H Pro with real sense? I bought my H pro about a year and a half ago and my ST16 has 3 antennas. I thought all the st16's now come with 3 antennas and only the early versions had 2.?

Ok, Thanks I didn't know that.... Just from a manufacturing stand point why waste the time an money to produce a 2 antenna st16. The 3 antenna is better and that's what people rather have. I know when I ordered my H pro they recently just came out with the 3 antenna st16 and I made sure mine came with it.

The mushroom antenna is fine for small areas that you are going to be standing in the middle of and maybe not always pointing at the H. The signal from the mushroom antenna will not go through a tree and will not go more than a couple or three hundred feet. It's not that big of a deal though because it's only video and not control. You can still use RTH if you panic from the video loss and the video is still recording even though you can't see it on the ST16.

The flat square antenna is stronger, but more focused in one direction, so try to always point it at your H.

...<snip>... The signal from the mushroom antenna will not go through a tree and will not go more than a couple or three hundred feet. It's not that big of a deal though because it's only video and not control. ...<snip>...
I've flown out as far as about 1600 ft and with my mushroom antenna I've not had video go down. I have to say that if you are only getting three hundred feet before your video goes down (assuming that there are no obstacles in the way) you have a problem.

Reactions: Niblett
Ok, Thanks I didn't know that.... Just from a manufacturing stand point why waste the time an money to produce a 2 antenna st16. The 3 antenna is better and that's what people rather have. I know when I ordered my H pro they recently just came out with the 3 antenna st16 and I made sure mine came with it.

You either want to pay for a Standard or a Pro. If everything is the same between both units why would they be priced differently? From a manufacturing point of view all cars should be equipped the same, but it doesn't work that way with those either.

Personally, I haven't experienced a need for any more than 2 antennas. I have two standard H's, bought at different times. The second one has upgraded 2.4 antennas on the H but the performance of the first H and -16 demonstrated there was no need to pay for more antennas on a -16 to justify paying more for a Pro. The two antenna version works just fine, for less $$. Since in a year I have yet to use OBS, and don't play so close to anything to have a need for RealSense I prefer a basic version, not a more expensive version that doesn't improve anything over what I use in the manner they are used. More widgets is not always better.

...<snip>... More widgets is not always better.
I agree. I have loads of gadgets on my car that I never or rarely use...yet by having the car I've paid for them. I could have got the lower version spec car for loads of £££ cheaper and not really noticed the difference.

That is why I'm happy with my standard H because I know I'll rarely or never use the RS.

I've flown out as far as about 1600 ft and with my mushroom antenna I've not had video go down. I have to say that if you are only getting three hundred feet before your video goes down (assuming that there are no obstacles in the way) you have a problem.
That's pretty surprising. The mushroom antenna on mine performs pretty much exactly like I expected it to, given that most of my experience with them is in the fpv quad scene. There's no way any of my vtx's could ever go as far as you say.

That's pretty surprising. The mushroom antenna on mine performs pretty much exactly like I expected it to, given that most of my experience with them is in the fpv quad scene. There's no way any of my vtx's could ever go as far as you say.

He's not the only one...I too had my H out to almost 2000ft with no video loss. All stock, and the two antenna ST16.

He's not the only one...I too had my H out to almost 2000ft with no video loss. All stock, and the two antenna ST16.
And you were using the squatty round antenna and not the flat square antenna?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss