Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone try Dragon Link on the H yet?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm considering upgrading my H with the Dragon Link FPV system.
I was just wondering if anyone else has attempted this with their H?

Before the Trolls attack, im not trying to fly out of visual range, just would like to have some sense of stability with a lower chance of fly away and improved overall signal.

Trolls? There are no trolls here, and how you fly is your business.(...and the FAA)

Is it compatible with the TH transmitter? How much, $300 or so? If you're in the USA, you'll need a Ham license I think.
Good luck.

Reactions: AJupstateNY
Trolls? There are no trolls here, and how you fly is your business.(...and the FAA)

Is it compatible with the TH transmitter? How much, $300 or so? If you're in the USA, you'll need a Ham license I think.
Good luck.

Hey Ray ray, Yes your correct on the price range, it's about $300.
According to the guys at Dragon link it will work with the T-H just fine and no I would not need a ham licence here in the US.

I'm really just trying to find out if anyone has tried it with an H, if no one has I will document my installation of the Dragon link setup when I install it in mine. According to a friend of mine who has one installed on his plane, it's the best upgrade he has ever purchased! It's been over a year and over 200 flights and not a single issue so far for him and he says his FPV distance more than quadrupled over the JR System he's using with it.

From the website: "The Dragon Link system does not transmit or improve video range in any way."

Control only. You'll need 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz video transmitters to handle the distance.

From the website: "The Dragon Link system does not transmit or improve video range in any way."

Control only. You'll need 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz video transmitters to handle the distance.

Hey Roach,
You are correct regarding the Dragon Link website stating that it does not improve video however they also do state that they have an option for also increasing video range besides just increasing control up to 50KM. As of this posting I've noticed their entire fpv video section on their website is currently not loading and may be under construction or being updated it was working two days ago so I'm sure it will be back up shortly.
I did receive an email from Dragon Link today and they assure me that I do not need any type of ham radio operators licence to use their product and that the Dragon Link V3 system will work with the T H as long as the transmitter has the correct output port and that I can access the receiver inside the H itself. As soon as I verify exactly which dragon link product to go with I will purchase it and start documenting my install.

Hey Roach,
You are correct regarding the Dragon Link website stating that it does not improve video however they also do state that they have an option for also increasing video range besides just increasing control up to 50KM. As of this posting I've noticed their entire fpv video section on their website is currently not loading and may be under construction or being updated it was working two days ago so I'm sure it will be back up shortly.
I did receive an email from Dragon Link today and they assure me that I do not need any type of ham radio operators licence to use their product and that the Dragon Link V3 system will work with the T H as long as the transmitter has the correct output port and that I can access the receiver inside the H itself. As soon as I verify exactly which dragon link product to go with I will purchase it and start documenting my install.
Keep us posted! Like to see how that works out for you,

I do not think the Dragon Link will work with the Typhoon H. The port they are referring to a PPM output port, which the ST16 does not have. I think they are mistaking the Typhoon H with another aircraft. Also, you do not have access to the RX in the Typhoon H, at least not without some serious hardware hacking.

In regards to being safe about control. Has the Typhoon H given you a reason not to trust it? I believe the control link is pretty stable.

Reactions: Roach
I do not think the Dragon Link will work with the Typhoon H. The port they are referring to a PPM output port, which the ST16 does not have. I think they are mistaking the Typhoon H with another aircraft. Also, you do not have access to the RX in the Typhoon H, at least not without some serious hardware hacking.

In regards to being safe about control. Has the Typhoon H given you a reason not to trust it? I believe the control link is pretty stable.
I agree. Besides, how far can you go in 12 minutes anyway? Great for a plane or gas powered copter but not so much for electrical drones.

I agree. Besides, how far can you go in 12 minutes anyway? Great for a plane or gas powered copter but not so much for electrical drones.

Hey Roach, I received an email directly from Dragon Link stating that their system will work on the Typhoon H and here is a grab directly from their sight regarding controllers and compatability.
"The Dragon Link system is compatible with ANY RC Transmitter that has a Trainer Port, DSC Port, or older style RF module pins. This covers 99 % of all RC transmitters ever made !!! The receiver is the most advanced RC receiver ever made, and is fully compatible with ALL flight controllers, autopilots, and airborne RC devices."

Also, I personally don't really know if it will work hence my original post asking if anyone has attempted it on the T H.

Are you only getting 12 minutes of flight time??? I'm averaging 28 minutes of flight, soon it will be more since I've ordered 4 of the new Venom battery packs for the H, which are 6700 mah each! Maybe your batteries are toast....

Hey Roach, I received an email directly from Dragon Link stating that their system will work on the Typhoon H and here is a grab directly from their sight regarding controllers and compatability.
"The Dragon Link system is compatible with ANY RC Transmitter that has a Trainer Port, DSC Port, or older style RF module pins. This covers 99 % of all RC transmitters ever made !!! The receiver is the most advanced RC receiver ever made, and is fully compatible with ALL flight controllers, autopilots, and airborne RC devices."

Also, I personally don't really know if it will work hence my original post asking if anyone has attempted it on the T H.

Are you only getting 12 minutes of flight time??? I'm averaging 28 minutes of flight, soon it will be more since I've ordered 4 of the new Venom battery packs for the H, which are 6700 mah each! Maybe your batteries are toast....
You have to get back. So if you fly 12 minutes out, it's a 12 minute return for 24 minutes. 4 minutes to spare if the battery is in tip top shape and wind is no factor. So at 35 miles per hour you're looking at a distance of about 7 miles in 12 minutes. Just to have emergency overhead, I would limit my H to about 5 miles to be on the safe side. So yeah, I guess you could benefit but the system would be kick butt on a plane or gas power that could reach out the entire 50km. Seems like over kill for the H class of drones. I've been tossing around the FPVLR vs ITelite question that runs about $120. I happen to have a 14dbi gain 5.8 panel antenna I'm going to give a shot as soon as the wind dies down. Hope that will provide some direction for me to start with - the video always goes out before control.

I've been playing with racers for a while now so I have some experience with transmitter and receiver setups. I'm curious how the receiver fits into the H. I noticed the receiver is 12 channel but the H transmitter is 16 channel. (I haven't looked to determine if all 16 are used) Getting all the channels configured on the new transmitter and receiver probably won't be too fun.

But yeah, keep us posted if you go with it and good luck!

The ST16 does not have a Trainer Port, DSC Port or older style RF module pins. The Dragon Link will not work with the Typhoon.

Good luck.

Yup, FPV in the states, must be a HAM operator.
KC2ZKC

Yup, FPV in the states, must be a HAM operator.
KC2ZKC

WOW, I did not know nor did the guys at Dragon Link ever mention needing a ham operators licence, That's news to me guys thanks for the info... Not sure it would even work on the H as the H has a 16 channel receiver from what I've been told and the dragon link system only goes up to 12 channels... I'm waiting for another email back from Dragon Link as I write this for clarification regarding their V3. System that they advised would work with our H's, I post what I hear from them when I receive it.

A better solution would be the ITelite panel antenna with the 3 watt bi-directional amps if you're really looking for distance. Probably about the same price range but still requires a HAM license. I tried the 14dbi gain 5.8Ghz panel I had but it didn't extend my video any further than stock. I'm going to try the FPVLR route with antennas matching the H and see what happens. If I could get another quarter mile it would be as good as my P4's distance - and I'm starting to like the H much better!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22