Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best way to get started with realsense

Reaction score
Hi guys, whats the best way to get started with the realsense module?
i just stopped in a local park which has rugby posts in and surrounded by tall fir trees, i went into the middle of the field, powered up the st16 then the typhoon, i took off in angle mode, turned on obsticle avoidance, selected smart mode, clicked on follow me. after a few seconds of slightly random behavour it followed me but struggled to keep me in the shot, i tried to lower the typhoon to about 20ft but it didnt want to deccend. i decided to end the flight but i couldnt get the typhoon back down, i clicked home but the typhoon went up and stayed where it was.
i finally got it down in angle mode witch took about 60 seconds to decend enough for me to catch it.
did i do something wrong?
Im worried about trying the wizard now as a local chap had a problem with the decent using it and had to wait 20 mins for the battery to go flat.

When you put it in Home mode, did you first consider the RTH height that was set in either the GUI or the ST-16? If the H was below the set RTH height it is supposed to, and does, rise to or above the set RTH height before initiating any directional travel. Default RTH height is 10 meters or roughly 33'. If already above the set RTH height it will remain at the higher altitude until reaching the Home point to start a descent.

I'll plug it in the computer and check in a min, I thought the rth was set higher to guarantee that it missis trees etc? What's the correct process to initiate a follow me with realsence.
My realsense was 2nd hand, might it need updating?

Make sure you swith off obs before you land. But you did it right. Take off in angle mode and swith on obs and smart mode. The H will move oddly if it sees a object in the way as it looks around for a clear path. Once it finds it it will move. If will also only move in the forward direction. Mine works flawlessly as I had it follow me around my house through a narrow between a van tree and house. It ya we'd and then flew up and over..

Reactions: WestCoastDrones
I'll plug it in the computer and check in a min, I thought the rth was set higher to guarantee that it missis trees etc? What's the correct process to initiate a follow me with realsence.
My realsense was 2nd hand, might it need updating?

RTH is defaulted at 10m. There's no way for Yuneec to know how tall the trees in your area are. Setting a different RTH height is the responsibility of the user. Pretty simple to do, it can be done through either the GUI or with the ST-16. If you haven't changed the default RTH height, it's still at 10m. RTM

I'll try again tomorrow. How do I check if the real sense is up to date?

Boot up the ST-16 and the aircraft. Enter "Settings" and review "About Controller". The firmware versions for all that you have are listed there. Then go to the Yuneec site and review what soft-firmware versions are current.

clicked on follow me. after a few seconds of slightly random behavour it followed me but struggled to keep me in the shot

It'll do better on Watch Me. Keep moving and don't mess with the controls until you finish, then put it back in Angle Mode and retake control. When RS is working you'll hear the pings on the ST16.

Reactions: WestCoastDrones
What do you think? Without advanced mode advanced features are not available. Regarding the RealSense check box, would you expect lights to come on without turning on the switch? Have you bothered to read any of the quick start guide or watch the videos that came on the SD card? A little personal initiative is over due. At least a general understanding of systems should be in place before they are flown. To just throw something up in the air and hope you can fly it or make it work is disaster looking for a place to happen

Last edited:
I couldn't afford the typhoon h complete and bought a couple of damaged ones and built the typhoon I have now, I didn't have the quick start guide, I've realised now what the advanced mode does, I saved up and bought a 2nd hand real sense module and no instructions came with that either. I have flown dji and immersionrc quads and have a general knowledge of quads, there is a lot more to learn on this model, I've had half a dozen flights on it in angle mode without fault and I'm learning more each day.

Reactions: BrightonBlue
I've now got a constant display of the sonar range thing overlaying the video feed, it only goes if I double tap the screen to get full screen, is this correct?
I clicked on update for both the st16 and the aircraft, after the last update I did with the micro sd card it said OTA updates would be possible. Below are my versions.
DSC_0094.JPG

OK so I tried realsense out again and it does indeed follow and move around and through gaps, very daunting but did at it was supposed to.
On the note of not being able to get the typhoon to decend properly, on the first battery today I noticed the altitude was at 3m while on the ground, I powered down the typhoon and powered back on again and it sorted out the problem. I flew it round in angle mode for a few minutes before turning on obstacle avoidance and smart mode for a watch me test, lowering it to land today was faultless.

OK so I tried realsense out again and it does indeed follow and move around and through gaps, very daunting but did at it was supposed to.
On the note of not being able to get the typhoon to decend properly, on the first battery today I noticed the altitude was at 3m while on the ground, I powered down the typhoon and powered back on again and it sorted out the problem. I flew it round in angle mode for a few minutes before turning on obstacle avoidance and smart mode for a watch me test, lowering it to land today was faultless.

cool!

I've now got a constant display of the sonar range thing overlaying the video feed

You mean the red arc that comes and goes? Normal. I pay little attention to it.

The height shown is often wrong. As you noticed, it resets when the props spin up. As far as I can tell, the only use for it is in limiting the max height to settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy