Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

bought used/refurbished issues

Reaction score
just bought a q500 4k off someone on craigslist and i think i have issues
first i live by sfo, so i was unaware of nfz block, googled and went on this forum so i got that covered

took drone out for initial flight fired up fine hovered fine with controllers released ck ok
put flight control to HOME the drone takes off AWAY from me like its running away from godzilla and straight into a tree
blades brkn ok just add new ones
camera hair thin wires that go into base, not the tether connector that fits into drone, but circuit board two are broken

question? what the **** happened? i thought the HOME feature was a safety out, hit it and as long as the return route is clear the drone should come back and land near where radio controller is

this unit was a factory refurbished unit not sure if i did something wrong or there is an issue with this drone and that is why person sold it. and yes i bought it from the mom of the person selling it. didn't test it since son is in away in college.

also does anybody know if there is a drone repai.r/testing in SF bay area? just wondering if someone could ck it out

any help appreciated

When you switch to RTH it will climb up and away from you before it trys to come in for a landing. It is mentioned in the manual on Page 17. I have included the manual file for you in this post.

Attachments

• Typhoon Q500 4k User Manual V2 0701.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
? ok i guess i can go over the manual its not mentioned in the quick start up guide seem weird that it would dart away like that since i thought it was fail safe mode straight up would have been ok but it went at a angle and at a accelerated speed.
thanks for the reply

Sounds to me like you inadvertently put it into "Smart" mode rather than "Return To Home".. and it did it's best to establish the minimum 20 meter distance between you (the Controller) and it.

Actually Home mode has a geofence just like Smart mode. Never switch to either if you are closer than 30' to the Q500. Read the manual a couple of times to get a feel for the different operations. The Q500 is easy to fly and is very stable but you need to understand the limitations and modes.
? ok i guess i can go over the manual its not mentioned in the quick start up guide seem weird that it would dart away like that since i thought it was fail safe mode straight up would have been ok but it went at a angle and at a accelerated speed.
thanks for the reply

Sounds to me like you inadvertently put it into "Smart" mode rather than "Return To Home".. and it did it's best to establish the minimum 20 meter distance between you (the Controller) and it.

i had it in smart mode and let go of controllers and it leveled out and hovered that was ok THEN i switched it down to HOME and that is when it tilted and committed suicide into the nearest tree. anybody repair these control wires? its the 3 contacts from the drone to camera
looks like 4 small screws hold on cover to board. im guessing the solder marks wont be identified. has anybody re soldered these wires? schematic available?
thanks for the repliesq500 control box.jpg q500 control box.jpg q500 control box.jpg

Actually Home mode has a geofence just like Smart mode. Never switch to either if you are closer than 30' to the Q500. Read the manual a couple of times to get a feel for the different operations. The Q500 is easy to fly and is very stable but you need to understand the limitations and modes.
ok that i guess what it was doing next time take it where there isn't any obstructions for at least 200ft

ok that i guess what it was doing next time take it where there isn't any obstructions for at least 200ft
You are in luck with those three wires. You don't need them as long as you are using the separate cable in your picture to plug the gimbal into the belly of the Q. They do the same thing but the wired connection is better.
Clip the end of the wires or tape so they don't touch anything and they will be fine. Use a piece of string or dental floss to put around the loop of the rubber dampers to pull them back through the holes.

You might want to put some light weight wire ties through the damper holes to hold the camera on a bit better. Keep them loose so they don't interfere with the movement of the dampers.

Also inspect the slide where the camera mounts very carefully. Any damage to the slide and the camera can drop off the mount. I actually tied a shoe lace through on of the damper holes and around one of the landing gear legs. I had a camera fall from 400' because the slide was damaged and I didn't see it.

You are in luck with those three wires. You don't need them as long as you are using the separate cable in your picture to plug the gimbal into the belly of the Q. They do the same thing but the wired connection is better.
Clip the end of the wires or tape so they don't touch anything and they will be fine. Use a piece of string or dental floss to put around the loop of the rubber dampers to pull them back through the holes.

You might want to put some light weight wire ties through the damper holes to hold the camera on a bit better. Keep them loose so they don't interfere with the movement of the dampers.

Also inspect the slide where the camera mounts very carefully. Any damage to the slide and the camera can drop off the mount. I actually tied a shoe lace through on of the damper holes and around one of the landing gear legs. I had a camera fall from 400' because the slide was damaged and I didn't see it.
Tried it out and I lost vertical axis control of camera. Side to side works off controller joy stick so I guess there is some use to those 3 wires

If you have a multimeter, remove the cable and check all three wires on each end. One of the connectors might have pulled loose out of the plug. The contacts on the slide are redundant with the 3 wire cable. You only need one of the other but not both.

If you have a multimeter, remove the cable and check all three wires on each end. One of the connectors might have pulled loose out of the plug. The contacts on the slide are redundant with the 3 wire cable. You only need one of the other but not both.
well there is some use for those wires as the vertical axis no longer works. also the camera is shaky when in flight. i found a new/rebuilt one on ebay from yuneec for 200 and now i have to figure out how to sync camera to st10 radio. says i need a login and password?
i'll download instructions and find it. otherwise i did find a field far enuf away from sfo and yes the q500 flies quite well and fairly easy to manuver, for a newbie like me. my sons had no issues of course.
thanks for all the replies. gonna do a search for camera sync as im sure that has a quick fix

I also bought mine from craigslist and it also has one of those 3 cables unsoldered. No issues as long as I use the external cable. I didnt know and mine didnt come with the sun protector and with the hanging cord...

well there is some use for those wires as the vertical axis no longer works. also the camera is shaky when in flight. i found a new/rebuilt one on ebay from yuneec for 200 and now i have to figure out how to sync camera to st10 radio. says i need a login and password?
i'll download instructions and find it. otherwise i did find a field far enuf away from sfo and yes the q500 flies quite well and fairly easy to manuver, for a newbie like me. my sons had no issues of course.
thanks for all the replies. gonna do a search for camera sync as im sure that has a quick fix
As I recall two of the wires supply power to the camera and gimbal and the third wire is for the tilt function.
With the power off, the camera should turn in all directions to the limits of the gimbals with no resistance.
Did you check carefully to make sure both ends of each rubber damper is completely thru the holes?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gbare