Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Callibrations

Reaction score
I'm going to try calibrating my Typhoon H today and get it in the air for the first time. I see in the instructions that when calibrating for the accelerometer it says do so in no wind. Since the drone is just sitting on a flat surface what difference could wind make? Can the calibration for the camera and accelerometer be done indoors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, and probably better done indoors. Make sure the surface is level. You can calibrate both and then go outdoors and do your compass calibration.

Calibrating accelerometers requires an absolutely stationary aircraft. Question; can wind make things move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadCloses
Calibrating accelerometers requires an absolutely stationary aircraft. Question; can wind make things move?

They should state those 2 calibrations can/should be done inside.

Sorry guys I have another question. I did both calibrations. When I did the Accelorometer calibration the lights flashed like the owners manual said they would but then went to a solid White and Purple flashing light. The owner's manual says if it goes to solid white then the calibration didn't take. Do they mean, if it didn't take the light would stay solid and not flash to another color?

Is it purple with a white flash every 3 seconds or so? If that's the case the it's telling you that between the "H" and the ST16, there are enough satellites to perform Watch Me/Follow Me functions.

I'm going to try calibrating my Typhoon H today and get it in the air for the first time. I see in the instructions that when calibrating for the accelerometer it says do so in no wind. Since the drone is just sitting on a flat surface what difference could wind make? Can the calibration for the camera and accelerometer be done indoors?

Hey Chard,

A couple of things I would like to point out about calibrating- well point out how I myself go about the process.

1. When I GPS calibrate , I point it North, and I always do it outside. They say you want to be as far away from any magnetic interference when calibrating because it can cause issues. If you calibrate inside you might not have the best GPS connection, and your cell phones, laptops, computers, TV's etc etc, can be known to cause issues. How likely are issues to be caused from these devices? Well I'm not too sure, but calibrating inside, in my eyes, is not worth it.

2. When doing the accelerometer, I always also calibrate this outside, laying flat. If you calibrate this inside on your second floor for example, that height is now the new "ground level" in the drones memory. When I have tried this myself, I have found that sometimes the motors don't slow down when I land. So my advice would be to calibrate outside on a flat surface because that will be the "ground level".

3. As far as wind and calibration, I am not too sure the reasoning behind that, so unfortunately I can not give you a real solid answer.

4. The lights: When successfully calibrating the acceleromoter, you will here a succession of beeps, and then the drone will reset when its completed. If memory serves.

Hopefully I helped you out! I would definitely stick to outdoor calibrations as that will give you some more peace of mind when calibrating. Happy flying!

Hey Chard,

2. When doing the accelerometer, I always also calibrate this outside, laying flat. If you calibrate this inside on your second floor for example, that height is now the new "ground level" in the drones memory. When I have tried this myself, I have found that sometimes the motors don't slow down when I land. So my advice would be to calibrate outside on a flat surface because that will be the "ground level".

!

Chris,
So are you saying you do an accelerometer calibration before each flight so that you can establish a new "ground Level"?

My understanding is that each time you power up the "H", a new ground level is entered into memory. I've only calibrated the accelerometer once when I first got the "H", on a table indoors, along with the Gimbal and when I fly outdoors, the altitude is correctly registered on my ST16 after the "H" is powered up and connected. I've never had any issues getting the motors to go to idle speed upon landing. Just need to hold the stick down for a couple of seconds.

Is it purple with a white flash every 3 seconds or so? If that's the case the it's telling you that between the "H" and the ST16, there are enough satellites to perform Watch Me/Follow Me functions.

I/ the remote automatically turns GPS off when doing Accelerometer calibrations. I'm going to assume that the calibrations went as planned and the drone reset/but doesn't power down and back up again which would mean that upon resetting its trying to acquire GPS/satellites again. Wish the transmitter would give us a pop up when completed accurately.

Chris,
So are you saying you do an accelerometer calibration before each flight so that you can establish a new "ground Level"?

My understanding is that each time you power up the "H", a new ground level is entered into memory. I've only calibrated the accelerometer once when I first got the "H", on a table indoors, along with the Gimbal and when I fly outdoors, the altitude is correctly registered on my ST16 after the "H" is powered up and connected. I've never had any issues getting the motors to go to idle speed upon landing. Just need to hold the stick down for a couple of seconds.

Well doing a GPS calibration is more important outdoors but for the accelerometer I just do it outside. And no you do not need to do it every time but I have had some weird instances where the motors won't power down. I would accelerometer calibrate though every time I go to a new location , same goes for GPS

Thingscould be a lot better written. I have access to a superb tech writer that would do it but first they have to want to.

Well doing a GPS calibration is more important outdoors but for the accelerometer I just do it outside. And no you do not need to do it every time but I have had some weird instances where the motors won't power down. I would accelerometer calibrate though every time I go to a new location , same goes for GPS

Chris, this is the second time you said GPS calibration. Kindly tell me how you do a GPS calibration, I am not familiar with it.

As long as it's not moving the accelerometer cal can be done anywhere. Since I generally only do it once with each firmware update I find doing it on the living room table to be very convenient. Same for the gimbal cal. Compass gets done outdoors and a bit more frequently as conditions dictate. There should be no need to re-cal the accelerometers for each new flying session.

Took my drone out to the middle of nowhere in the desert and calibrated it and got it off the ground. Flew beautifully!!! Only problem is, I haven't received the Micro SD yet so I couldn't record any video. Going to check the ad card in the ST16 to see what telemetry it recorded. I forgot to look to see if I mounted the card, so I might have nothing on the SD card. Rookie error.

My own experience and opinion about calibration:

I've never calibrated indoors.

Nice video Jules, one thing I noticed, but apparently didn't matter, is that the instructions say to roll the drone forward when calibrating the compass. I could be wrong, but it looked like you were rolling it in the opposite direction. I'm referring to rolling it end over end, not turning it counter clockwise.

Thanks,
Chad

Nice video Jules, one thing I noticed, but apparently didn't matter, is that the instructions say to roll the drone forward when calibrating the compass. I could be wrong, but it looked like you were rolling it in the opposite direction. I'm referring to rolling it end over end, not turning it counter clockwise.

Thanks,
Chad

Also, thanks for posting that video!! I never knew the camera just slid in and out like that. After first getting my H I was thinking I had to take the pins out of the grommet to get the camera removed. What you showed me is such a better design than I had thought.

Thanks,
Chad

Chris, this is the second time you said GPS calibration. Kindly tell me how you do a GPS calibration, I am not familiar with it.

On the ST 16 controller, on the right hand side on the telemetry data there is a calibration button. From there you can calibrate the COMPASS. My fault - you are correct. I have been meaning to say compass, which if I recall requires a GPS connection, hence why I do it outside and point to the north!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22