Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Cold Weather Flying

Discussion in 'Q500 4K Discussion' started by Gilly, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Gilly

Recommended? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. I live in Minnesota, current temp 6 degrees haha... I'm itching to fly though. Is this okay or...?

2. Chewman

Hey Gilly, I posted this question a couple weeks ago and CS came back with a reply of -5C which equals 22-23F. I have flown at -8-10C which is around the mid teens F

3. agrafton

I flew yesterday in 6 degree weather and 12 mph winds, no problems except "My" fingers froze.

4. Gilly

Haha i've taken necessary precautions there... i use handwarmers in my gloves and warmers in my feet. nothing is going to hold me back. i was just concerned if the motors or props will freeze up.

5. Darrel

Hi, it -2 degrees when I flew yesterday. The Q worked great in the cold, me not so much.

6. knocoffpro

Hand warmers work only a little but the face mask, base layers, and the typhoon g worked like a charm. If the wind ain't above 12....I delve

7. Mike Gannon

Hi guys
    This is Mike G in Oldham England
    I flew mine the other day in minus 2 degrees but to windy so only up for less than 5 minutes.
    What lve started to do is warm the battles up first. I put them in a babies thermal bottle holder with a couple for re-usable gell warmers this gives me more flying time.
    Happy flying.

Attached Files:

8. Fezzik

I've had mine up in -7c weather with 25km winds with no problems. Although it flipped a couple of times due to the wind.

9. Chewman

Hey Fezzik, you don't consider flipping a problem?

Fezzik likes this.
  10. Fezzik

It was a problem for me, but it wasn't due to the cold weather. It was the wind. It was my second flight, so I shut it down for the day... Nerve-racking but the typhoon handled it like a champ.