Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Relocation

The biggest advantage would be POSSIBLE electronic failure during flight, which could happen randomly with any drone if there is a stray signal from somewhere. If your GPS and compass are accurate, it will increase the probability you would get your drone to RTH in the event of an electronic hiccup.

True. My point is that it seems that this error is not ubiquitous. Some seem to get it a lot, others, like me, have never gotten it (yet?). I tend to do a compass calibration anytime I am more than 25 miles or so from the last time I did one. I wonder if that has an impact?

Reactions: RPR
I tend to do a compass calibration anytime I am more than 25 miles or so from the last time I did one. I wonder if that has an impact?

I believe it does. On occasions, my H+ would slowly climb without throttle input from a hover and I had to use the emergency switch just to kill the motors. After I had a couple of those, I calibrate every time I change location. But my problem with my H+ is not the compass error, I rarely get those. I mostly get geomagnetic interference (that I often ignore)

With the compass relocation, I still receive the geo mag notification. With my current setup. I’ve flown further than ever before, with little to no video feed interruptions, and the H+ became an enjoyable machine to fly.

Today, I flew beyond my previous field test. Earlier it reached 3100ft alt. flying for fun collecting b-rolls.

Footnote: One thing that I’ve done on my flight earlier was hot swapping batteries. I was not able to this before.

I get the geomagnetic interference warning when near metal poles, fences, etc. Never caused a problem.

You hot swapped a flight pack or controller pack?

A foil cover over a GPS receiver is a pretty effective way to prevent satellite reception. Good to see you are removing it. Copper foul under one to isolate it from EMI can be a good thing though.
Have been away for quite a while.

You're right and having had considerable experience with GPS/compass issues on DYI and 3DR Solo I'm not opposed to modding, but really, after all this time Yuneec hasn't nailed down the navigation system yet? Is is a heat issue or what? Spring is rapidly approaching and I've been contemplating a H+ soon, but spending $1800+ and not getting a reliable GPS fix and/or compass isn't giving me warm fuzzy feelings. How's the the H+ overall? Did they get the firmware figured out?

Almost bought an Anafi to have some fun with, but people are having connection issues.

Good to see you back. The issue is heat and EMI but there is an effective DIY kit that overcomes them just hitting the streets.

It’s essentially the same problems that have always been there when cramming 10 pounds of stuff into a sealed 5 pound box. As an experienced DIY guy you know how that works.

Hi RPR,
A mate of mine bought the relocation STAND from the bloke on ebay and was wondering if yours was this poor quality where you fix the module to inside the STAND. I will also be posting some very interesting heat tests over the next 2 days. Johnno Hennessy.

Attachments

• 20190322_143518.jpg
    20190322_143518.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190322_143509.jpg
    20190322_143509.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
Hi Again RPR,
I was expecting something more along the lines of this to be able to mount the module, of ourselves the rear right hand idea pole has to be moved as the H plus and 520 module has the backup battery in that hole position.
Johnno Hennessy.

Attachments

• 20190324_145037.jpg
    20190324_145037.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
The H480 gps/compass should drop-in. The HPlus unit, I had to modify to fit and I lowered the casing by removing the standoffs.
I used gray 3M 30lbs double sided tape to secure into place. As far as cooling, there’s a lot of different ideas and directions that you can go about with the version above. I went, with the simplistic approach, and created a small openings to act as a vent.

For my next mod. I will be adding a heatsink. Trying to locate the perfect heatsink, has driven me INSANE! Because some manufacturers doesn’t list the width, and I am looking for a specific one for this application to work, and the design also matters to me the most.

This is how low mine sits.

IMG_1553404981.473293.jpg

For my next mod. I will be adding a heatsink. Trying to locate the perfect heatsink, has driven me INSANE! Because some manufacturers doesn’t list the width, and I am looking for a specific one for this application to work, and the design also matters to me the most.
Yes RPR,
The 480 opulent s no problem to in place, but how was it ring it to the non existent poles. Did your brass screws bottom out. Maybe my mate just got a badly printed one with no or very little of the supports printed. I suppose something for $7 has its limits. Johnno Hennessy

Yes RPR,
The 480 opulent s no problem to in place, but how was it ring it to the non existent poles. Did your brass screws bottom out. Maybe my mate just got a badly printed one with no or very little of the supports printed. I suppose something for $7 has its limits. Johnno Hennessy

I just needed the casing. Used a Dremel to cut the inside to width, enough to fit the unit.

Have an open mind, John. I know you see it as a competition. Find its weakness in performance in the field vs your design. I really like your approach, but I have to keep things on the low, and less conspicuous. But for the weekend warriors, your module is the one to get.

Hi Again RPR,
I was expecting something more along the lines of this to be able to mount the module, of ourselves the rear right hand idea pole has to be moved as the H plus and 520 module has the backup battery in that hole position.
Johnno Hennessy.

I don’t know why others are extending the batter bay or it pose as a concern. I read the replies and I am shaking my head, because the mod does not subtract materials.
In modding “Take a deep breath, analyze, measure twice. Have a glass of whiskey, and commit” lol

Back at it. Here’s what I have been up to, with the module. I’ve added a heatsink to the top cover of the module. Although, I have not flown, with this addition, hopefully in the next few days, during my downtime, and I will report back.

IMG_1094.jpg

Reactions: 10-8
Hi RPR,
I have just done a video on heat build up and thought that you would be interested with the figures achieved.
There is no competition as you will see when you watch the video. There is another one coming with the FAN TOWER vs THE STDANDARD TOWER.

Reactions: rdonson and Fenwick
Hi RPR,
I have just done a video on heat build up and thought that you would be interested with the figures achieved.
There is no competition as you will see when you watch the video. There is another one coming with the FAN TOWER vs THE STDANDARD TOWER.

Would you like me to critic your work, as honestly as let’s just say a friend would? Because this can probably help you distribute the tower to the masses.

I think part of a problem here was TMI. Too much information was made public for too long before a curative product was released to consumers, allowing others with the ability to move faster to enter the game before a good customer base was developed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro