Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Warning! Whats going on?

i am having problems with the last version v1.32 too , flies ok but constantly getting the message that keep away from magnetic interference or do a compass calibration, also gui show me problems when i leave the dron in the floor alone for a while, dosent know what to do,i already open a ticket with yuneec, what i do? buy a new compass module and replace it?

I got this warning today for the 1st time. I was ~80ft up, and and 50-75ft horizontally from anything that I would think would cause interference (power lines, large pieces of metal, etc.). When I got this warning the drone immediately started flying erratically (drifting, toilet bowling, and kind of acting like it was trying to fly someplace else). I managed to land it without crashing it into the river or trees but it was a little nerve racking. I calibrated the compass and flew another short flight without issue but I am worried that it will come back. Looking at the telemetry logs, it looks like it had several stretches of error flag = 32 around the time I got the error. Looking through my previous logs I don't see that happening before.

The only thing that I can think of that is different about flying at this location vs when I have flown here in the past is the river reached flood stage after a heavy storm last night. It seems far fetched but maybe there was enough iron rich dirt in the water rushing by to throw off the compass?

Does anybody know if turning off the GPS will also turn off the compass? If this happens again I think I will have a much better chance of landing it safely if it isn't jerking around on its own.

Dylan

I was having the same issue, 2 flights just fine then wham, all over the place with compass warnings. I have a second bird and have just yesterday completed the transfer of that GPS/C unit to this one. I'm charging batteries now in hopes I can get out and test soon, as this will be a sure fire way to tell if its FW or module related.

Yes, without GPS, you are on the save side. GPS and compass work together and flight controller SW will take into account both or none of those.

The problem with power lines may be, that sometimes there are high peaks (transients) if they decide to switch something in the power network. You can fly there long time w/o problems and then suddenly there is one!

br HE

I got this warning today for the 1st time. I was ~80ft up, and and 50-75ft horizontally from anything that I would think would cause interference (power lines, large pieces of metal, etc.). When I got this warning the drone immediately started flying erratically (drifting, toilet bowling, and kind of acting like it was trying to fly someplace else). I managed to land it without crashing it into the river or trees but it was a little nerve racking. I calibrated the compass and flew another short flight without issue but I am worried that it will come back. Looking at the telemetry logs, it looks like it had several stretches of error flag = 32 around the time I got the error. Looking through my previous logs I don't see that happening before.

The only thing that I can think of that is different about flying at this location vs when I have flown here in the past is the river reached flood stage after a heavy storm last night. It seems far fetched but maybe there was enough iron rich dirt in the water rushing by to throw off the compass?

Does anybody know if turning off the GPS will also turn off the compass? If this happens again I think I will have a much better chance of landing it safely if it isn't jerking around on its own.

Dylan

I have had this issue as well. It doesn’t happen all the time. But in certain areas I can almost always duplicate it. Those areas had metal all over so I understood that. But sometimes it does it out in a open field. Then the toilet bowl effect. I have been flying for years without gps and compass. The H feels like it wants to fight my response when it decides to be affected by some sort of interference. Toilet bowl affect, twitchy movements, flies in a curved line, etc. I end up recalibrating the H and it’s all fine. I’m starting to wonder if it was my Apple Watch interfering at times. Others are still having the issues maybe it is from the firmware. I fly multiple aircraft and these days they update the model of flight controllers A couple times a year. I would imagine there has to be something in the works.

Reactions: Niblett
i look into the logs and in every time i had the 32 error, that is related to compass, but in some flights the message dont show up, it appears that the radio warn you when the error persist too long, however my h flies ok, no drift excelent hovering and in curved cable cam works ok, its like nothing is wrong, after the message show up for fist time ,every time i fly, i do compass calibration with everthing away cell phones, wifi networks, etc.
also had the error putting the drone in the floor with the software tool and bam, every 10 ten minutes or more i had a compass error, service is horrible, no respond, and i complain to uk and us, i had the following theorys
1)some h had come with foulty gps module
2)the compass unit is too sensitive, so its a time bomb asking for a crash
3)yuneec refurbished the foulty gps modules from services and for save money send them to china to put them in new drones
4)the drones are tested in china and in the final destination country (discover that from seeing the log files), if you are away more than 200 miles from the last calibration point the compass will had trouble, so the h firmware is not doing a "hard reset" on the gps module so the calibration is not working propelly
5)h firmware is bogus

i order from vertigodrones a new oem gps unit and i am going to replace the unit and see what happens, if the problem persist the points 2,3,4,5 could be true, and if the problem is solved the points 1,3,4 are the probably reasons

i recived the following mail today

Dear Mr Royon
We have storms very high KP values, due to the sun. This affects all GPS systems, even to animals, ships,
planes and cars. From a KP to a value of 4-5 I would start, because I'll then have a crash. If your compass
needs to be kalibiriert you can also see the orange LED. Please watch our Videos on Youtube on the subject
of compass calibration.
Thanks
Your Yuneec Service Team

they blame a magnetic storm that ended a month ago for the problems of today, very nice, also if you look in the manual waranty dosent cover crash if you had compass warning in your flights, very nice way too wash their hands.
As far i research the storm was strong in the north, usa canada and rusia, i lived in argentina, very away from the storm, so i think that yuneec recently recived very bad gps unit and they dont want to responsabilizate for that, and the magnetic storm is the perfect excuse.
i am waiting the new gps unit and i am going to replace it, i dont expect any kind of help from yuneec

After changing out my GPS/Compass module from a known good unit (I have two birds), I went to my local flying spot to test yesterday. 1st battery went ok till close to landing time, then I got the orange led flash and toilet blowing that made landing very very tricky. I had none of the compass warnings on screen however. 2nd battery flight was with no issues. Each time before launch I did compass calibration. Something is not right with this FW.

i recived the following mail today

Dear Mr Royon
We have storms very high KP values, due to the sun. This affects all GPS systems, even to animals, ships,
planes and cars. From a KP to a value of 4-5 I would start, because I'll then have a crash. If your compass
needs to be kalibiriert you can also see the orange LED. Please watch our Videos on Youtube on the subject
of compass calibration.
Thanks
Your Yuneec Service Team

they blame a magnetic storm that ended a month ago for the problems of today, very nice, also if you look in the manual waranty dosent cover crash if you had compass warning in your flights, very nice way too wash their hands.
As far i research the storm was strong in the north, usa canada and rusia, i lived in argentina, very away from the storm, so i think that yuneec recently recived very bad gps unit and they dont want to responsabilizate for that, and the magnetic storm is the perfect excuse.
i am waiting the new gps unit and i am going to replace it, i dont expect any kind of help from yuneec

Replacing mine made zero difference.

Replacing mine made zero difference.
you could had 2 bad gps unit and didnt know it, however it dosent mean that replacing the gps the problem is going to solve, maybe i am going to recive another bad unit too, if we dont do a massive complaing with yuneec we are not going to never solve the problem, they are going to give chilhood responses like "solar storms" that enden a month ago that is afecting your compass today, if i would know this problem i wouldent bought the h, and its a shame becouse its a good drone, but terrible support

So after some curious thoughts and almost buyers remorse. I think I am on to something with at least my H in the compass department. So I have a iPhone and Apple Watch nike edition, so it has GPS, right next to the st16, hmm. I took off my watch, phone, and keys. Went to a sparsely populated area performed some test and no issues... so I'm starting to think that the H always checks where the st16 is and if there are 2 gps signals well there could be interference where the H thinks its metal and not another gps, hence the warnings on the screen. This is just a thought and one test. I will fly from no on like this to see if the issues ever come back. Any thoughts?

you cannot emit gps signal, any divice only hear, so cannot be interference, the truth is that the h has hardware/software problems with the compass, the only solution is to do a massive complaing to yuneec and do legal actions againts yuneec if no respond with a fix, becouse they blame a solar storm that ended like a month ago from the problems of today.
I didnt see or heard that any other device or drone that depends on magnetometer where failing, my iphone for example works great, i always checking the compass when i fly the h to see if some problems show up, yuneec is washing their hands and dont want to recognize the problem

you cannot emit gps signal, any divice only hear, so cannot be interference, the truth is that the h has hardware/software problems with the compass, the only solution is to do a massive complaing to yuneec and do legal actions againts yuneec if no respond with a fix, becouse they blame a solar storm that ended like a month ago from the problems of today.
I didnt see or heard that any other device or drone that depends on magnetometer where failing, my iphone for example works great, i always checking the compass when i fly the h to see if some problems show up, yuneec is washing their hands and dont want to recognize the problem
I thought as well but it clearly states in the manual that interference from other objects is possible, could be a excuse to bad software. Who knows, I fly manual in 98 percent of my birds, I have helicopters, planes, quads, cars, etc and not one of them can be affected like the H.

also these guys are making my next purchase easy and simple

the sad thing is that i am using the drone for filming and inspections, the drones flies ok but its not confortable to know that any moment and any second you can had a crash becouse malfunction, and i spend the money i had to start in this drone, so i hope i could recoverd it before i crash it and purchase a p4 pro, but is a shame becouse the h had some feteures that make filming more easy the 360 gimbal and retractable landing gear and the follow me function with the wizard are execent, but the damm compass and the horrible service AGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!! make furius every time i remember

Anyone that has been involved with multirotors for awhile is aware that anything that transmits and receives radiates radio signals. That includes cell phones, i-watches, GPS devices, video transmitters and receivers, or anything else than exchanges radio signals of any type. Residential areas literally swamp the 2.4 and 5.8GHz spectrum with wifi from numerous sources. Even microwave ovens generate 5.8gig energy. Since they understand this they assure they don’t have anything that radiates a signal close to their controllers or aircraft when operating. Some go so far as to make that assurance part of their pre flight documentation. They also won’t stand next to metal objects and fencing when operating. It’s highly possible you are the source of your problem.

If you really think DJI has better customers service, buy one. When you have a problem with it tou can get in the back of the ling line with the others that thought that way. A great many have been in that line for year or more.

Anyone that has been involved with multirotors for awhile is aware that anything that transmits and receives radiates radio signals. That includes cell phones, i-watches, GPS devices, video transmitters and receivers, or anything else than exchanges radio signals of any type. Residential areas literally swamp the 2.4 and 5.8GHz spectrum with wifi from numerous sources. Even microwave ovens generate 5.8gig energy. Since they understand this they assure they don’t have anything that radiates a signal close to their controllers or aircraft when operating. Some go so far as to make that assurance part of their pre flight documentation. They also won’t stand next to metal objects and fencing when operating. It’s highly possible you are the source of your problem.

If you really think DJI has better customers service, buy one. When you have a problem with it tou can get in the back of the ling line with the others that thought that way. A great many have been in that line for year or more.

i already know that and i recive compass warnings in open fields away from any rf source, and also recived the warning without the camera thinking that the 5.8ghz tx of the camera was the problem, i fly other drones and i build a long range fpv gas powered plane, and you can be pretty sure that you had to understand all rf matter to put a cdi near others rx and tx for not to have problems and had plenity of range, and i am aware of rf noise and armonics, you can be sure that something is wrong with some h

Last edited:
The only thing to be said here is that there’s something not right. This bird flew flawlessly before this last update. Now, even after changing out the one thing thing that might have been an issue, and countless tests in wide open areas with not so much as a lighter in my pocket, pointed North, all things to avoid interference in mind.... it fails. Not good

There has been an issue with some of the H compass/GPS units from day 1. That both are stuffed tight to the power system wiring and over the top of a heat source are a couple of the reasons for holding back a bit on the 520, where they’ve repeated that design error.

There has been an issue with some of the H compass/GPS units from day 1. That both are stuffed tight to the power system wiring and over the top of a heat source are a couple of the reasons for holding back a bit on the 520, where they’ve repeated that design error.

in theory heat can couse of some sesnsitive ic problems, ccd cameras of important telescopes are cooled down below 0´ celcius with pelteir cels, becouse heat produce tiny white spots on the picture, heat make electrons move faster and in a wider radius, and some electrons colide where can couse trouble, but i had recived compass errors with the drone cool after a compass calibration inmediatly after take off,theres not ime to build significant amount of heat to produce that kind of problems, so i discard a heat based problem, also a guy in recent post say that had the same problem flying in winter in below 0 temperatures.
Yesterday i was curios and i was serching the spare part of the h520 to see what gps/compass module are equiped but not luck, no spare parts for sale right now for the h520, maybe the problem is that the gps relays on the bedui (chinise gps) to get compass readings and if you are far away from chinisium you are going to had this kind of trouble, yuneec didnt want to solve the problem, or they are aware and making the fools until a software fix is done and wash their hands on crashed units due compass problems

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlphaCapitalSecuritySyste