Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do you have balls enough?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6299
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6299

IMG_0693.JPG I'll think I have, :) atleast so I will keep floating. I bought 120 mm styrofoam balls and some wooden sticks. Will take some pictures when it's finished and floating.

Reactions: John F
Put the rods into the foam so the position of the floatation devices can be controlled.

Nice idea. I've been thinking about flotation but wondered about two things -

1) Leg extensions to make sure the camera stays up and out of the water.
2) Will there be any control issues with flotation catching the wind?

I do like your idea though. I've been thinking of adapting pool noodles, inflatables, or possibly RC seaplane floats.

I have two couples of seaplane floats in different sizes, but I think there will be some problems with crosswind. Probably better with balls then. I might do them not foldable, better rigid and safe connected to the legs while I fly over the water.

I think I would use both the Styrofoam balls and the Noodles. Flotation is one thing, stability on the water is another.

If you power on the H and turn it upside down, (remove the camera first) you can raise the landing gear.
Attach the balls with the landing gear in the UP position. Then you can be sure it wont hit the motor arms when you retract the gear in flight. Not sure how stable it would be ON the water, but would keep it from sinking to the bottom of a lake or ocean.

Reactions: Deleted member 6299
I have tried lots of different floats on multirotors. In my experience, anything which has enough volume to float the bird will get pushed around by the slightest wind and will likely show up in the camera view. Even if you are lucky enough to fall buttered side up, there is still risk of flipping over. These birds are top heavy and wind, current or waves can tip them over. Those wood dowels look like they might break in a hard landing.
My solution was to build a quad in a waterproof, floating shell.

I have tried lots of different floats on multirotors. In my experience, anything which has enough volume to float the bird will get pushed around by the slightest wind and will likely show up in the camera view. Even if you are lucky enough to fall buttered side up, there is still risk of flipping over. These birds are top heavy and wind, current or waves can tip them over. Those wood dowels look like they might break in a hard landing.
Awesome!

Since I live near water, obviously a fear of mishap over the water is of concern. I'm thinking more about waterproofing the electronics with something hydrophobic like NeverWet
then just use enough flotation for water recovery, not necessarily stability on the water for the very issues mentioned above. I guess I'm thinking of it more like an insurance policy.

Since I live near water, obviously a fear of mishap over the water is of concern. I'm thinking more about waterproofing the electronics with something hydrophobic like NeverWet
then just use enough flotation for water recovery, not necessarily stability on the water for the very issues mentioned above. I guess I'm thinking of it more like an insurance policy.
According to Rustoleum, Neverwet should not be used on electronics. From their website:
Can NeverWet be used on electronics?
No, NeverWet should not be used on electronics.

CorrosionX and epoxy would be a better choice.

I've always wondered why they say that NeverWet should not be used on electronics yet they do just that in their promotional video. I know a lot of people have used it (in the interest of science) but what are the long term consequences? Does it short or corrode, wear out, not take heat, flammable, etc.? I always wondered if this was more of a liability issue since it was never tested for that use? I always have liked the FliteTest info and trust their opinion, however I do know for a fact that water will kill my drone.

I always have liked the FliteTest info and trust their opinion, however I do know for a fact that water will kill my drone.
That's why I chose to completely enclose the electronics in a floating shell.I have several of these.

Attachments

• dex 3 12 props.jpg
    dex 3 12 props.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Dex3 backyard.jpg
    Dex3 backyard.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20141119_191604640.jpg
    IMG_20141119_191604640.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 27
  • New motors and props.JPG
    New motors and props.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 26
IMG_0658.JPG A first water test in the tubby and so far so good and no drowning drone.

IMO, with the prop blast from 6 motor your camera is doomed. Put a baggie on it first and see how wet it gets.

Tom

Makes me think of a bird bath

That stuff leaves a nasty residue. Concreat steps are about the only thing ive found that it works great on. Dont get me wrong it will keep water out for the first time it gets wet but it will leave a gummy residue all over the place that could get in your electronics and fry . I wouldnt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig