Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones under attack

Reaction score
Its very concerning that so many new owners seem to be taking a drone out to fly without reading or more importantly understanding the instructions supplied and the warnings about calibrating the electronics BEFORE attempting to fly.
This hobby is under scrutiny like no other with claims of drones being involved in near-miss incidents at 11,000ft, (yes 11,000) scaring drivers on motorways, causing stampedes of horses, cattle, cats dogs, old people etc etc etc and the press just love it.

A recent claim that a drone was buzzing jetliners on approach to London Heathrow turned out to be a black bin bag blowing across the runway, but not before a daily paper headlined the drone version.

Even the rapidly created drone "industry" is over-reacting or to be more precise, falling over each other to make money out of training courses etc that cost more than a Typhoon H.

I have flown r/c helicopters since the last century (20th) and model aircraft for 50 years before that. I also have a PPL. Now suddenly I need a test and certificate of competence to fly a much simpler and failsafe drone or a commercial licence if it has a camera, just because a few idiots treat drones like a 3d video game where a reset is instantly available and nothing gets broken.

I bought one of the first available Typhoon H and I have 100s of hours of safe and event free flight recorded and successful s/w upgrades completed simply because I read the instructions until I understand what I am doing.

Drones are going through the fad stage just like skateboards did years ago when every kid on wheels was a public nuisance, hover boards fortunately killed themselves off but make no mistake, there are those that want to see drones banned and you are playing straight into their hands if you go flying something you don't understand.

Swallow your pride, break with tradition, put your ego on hold, whatever it takes and just read the bloody instructions or ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about, not a mate of a mate who can spell the word drone.

Its not often someone old enough to be your Granddad can be so smug but I am going to enjoy my 15 mins while some of you continue to defy gravity.
Alternatively if you have £1000s to write off, I'll give you my holiday fund a/c number.

Have a happy new year and please, be safe out there.

I am with you.
A lot of people are buying these things without a clue.
When something goes wrong they stand there like a deer in headlights in utter shock, looking stupid, and blaming everything but themselves. Sure there are incidents that are not pilot error, but most are. Laughable if it wasn't so sad. To be frank........the hammer has to come down because it sure makes running business even more difficult.
For those that follow the regulations, read the instructions and practice fly smaller multis to gain the required competence, thank you, you are doing well for yourself and the entire SUAV community both commercial and hobby.
Cheers and happy holidays, Steve

Brian,
I am with you. I also fly fixed wing RC, it amazes me that just because it can hover it is called a drone, and not treated like any other RC aircraft.

Reactions: K2BLS
So, I'm the new kid on the block, but I agree with what you said.

I started with a toy quad about a year ago, then a racing racing quad about 5 months ago (Arris 250B, if you're curious), figuring if I could learn to fly that dumb (no GPS or other smart features) machine I could take on something like this on with ease.

Christmas morning my wife spoiled me with a Typhoon H. After thoroughly reading all the manuals, and checking out videos, as well as updating all the firmware, I went out for my first flight. (This wasn't all due to patience on my part, there was a pretty good snow storm blowing, too)

I've flown about 6 times now, with very few issues (video has stuck a few times, but the H was way far away). Overall, I'm thrilled with the machines and the hobby.

Hello Brian,
I am very glad to read your statement and agree fully. My story is similar, hundreds of hours in all kinds of AC, rc and real, drones and helis.
I am based in the UK and over christmas my local 'rag' ran a story telling the whole world that the sky would be black with thug drone owners after christmas. Ho flying on Dartmoor is illegal (it is not) and the local PC sad case who has reported drone owners for invading his privacy. Even the local UAV business owner joined in stating that a drone had been flown just feet from his face on dartmoor, utter rubbish.
In reply I posted links to drone safety information sites and in particular the brilliant free app by Altitude Angel called Drone Assist. If anyone has not got this GET IT NOW. It shows you your location and any restrictions applicable. You can post your own flight as a 'hazard' to others also.

Reactions: CraigCam
Hello Brian,
I am very glad to read your statement and agree fully. My story is similar, hundreds of hours in all kinds of AC, rc and real, drones and helis.
I am based in the UK and over christmas my local 'rag' ran a story telling the whole world that the sky would be black with thug drone owners after christmas. Ho flying on Dartmoor is illegal (it is not) and the local PC sad case who has reported drone owners for invading his privacy. Even the local UAV business owner joined in stating that a drone had been flown just feet from his face on dartmoor, utter rubbish.
In reply I posted links to drone safety information sites and in particular the brilliant free app by Altitude Angel called Drone Assist. If anyone has not got this GET IT NOW. It shows you your location and any restrictions applicable. You can post your own flight as a 'hazard' to others also.

I am sorry to inform you that flying a drone on Dartmoor is illegal. The Dartmoor National Park bylaws state that powered model aircraft are not allowed on their land and drones come under that bylaw. I have just spent the last 6 months negotiating with Maristow Estates that owns a large part of the Dartmoor National Park for legal use of approximately 1sq km for fpv model aircraft. We have to pay for the licence and have heavy restrictions when we can fly there.
I'm not happy about it as in that huge area of Dartmoor there is more than enough room for everyone to enjoy, but that's how it is.

I agree.

Before I finally bought my first drone, the H, i watched hundreds of hours video, checked online manuals and read dozens of articles.
I even made a presentation about drone legislation for my middle school exam!

When i finally got the drone, i had to wait patiently for my insurance card to arrive ( cause you're not allowed to fly in germany without it)...

I agree.

Before I finally bought my first drone, the H, i watched hundreds of hours video, checked online manuals and read dozens of articles.
I even made a presentation about drone legislation for my middle school exam!

When i finally got the drone, i had to wait patiently for my insurance card to arrive ( cause you're not allowed to fly in germany without it)...

Right now in the states we have to register them. I'm sure an insurance requirement is just around the corner.

I have an H but I also have a Q500 for a couple of years now and I do most of my flying in open feilds at different RV parks while camping. As I am flying it around the rv parks/ campsite people would follow it in their golf carts to find who's flying it. Most of the people who show up never even seen one in person and this is their first time. Because of all the bad press that drones get in the media they already have a negative attitude about them. One of the first comments I usually get is " Hey are you spying on us?". or "I was going to shoot it out of the sky". But after a couple of minutes of talking to them and explaining it to them and showing them what it does and how it fly's they like it and think it's cool. All of them walk away with a positive attitude towards them and most of the guys walk away wanting to know how much it cost and where to buy one.

I am sorry to inform you that flying a drone on Dartmoor is illegal. The Dartmoor National Park bylaws state that powered model aircraft are not allowed on their land and drones come under that bylaw. I have just spent the last 6 months negotiating with Maristow Estates that owns a large part of the Dartmoor National Park for legal use of approximately 1sq km for fpv model aircraft. We have to pay for the licence and have heavy restrictions when we can fly there.
I'm not happy about it as in that huge area of Dartmoor there is more than enough room for everyone to enjoy, but that's how it is.

Hello Kevin, thank you for the information. I have been struggling to confirm that as true/false for a while. Do you have access to a map defining exactly which areas they have control of?
I remember there being a small model flying club out the back of Horrabridge, I guess they are gone now?

We went thru all this last Christmas. FAA solved the public concern by making us register our drones. It took a few months but things calmed down with the media last year as they moved on to other subjects and left the Drone Community alone. Or maybe the decline in media coverage was the many that got drones last Christmas had crashed them already.

Now we have a hole new group of new drone owners out there. It amazes me as to how many of the conversations on here recently start out by saying:

"Hello, I am new to all this. My wife surprised me with my first drone. I am looking forward to getting it outside to fly."

In a few months it will calm down again. I liked this statement from above posting -- "Drones are going thru a Fad Stage"

Last edited:
We went thru all this last Christmas. FAA solved the public concern by making us register our drones. It took a few months but things calmed down with the media last year as they moved on to other subjects and left the Drone Community alone. Or maybe the decline in media coverage was the many that got drones last Christmas had crashed them already.

Now we have a hole new group of new drone owners out there. It amazes me as to how many of the conversations on here recently start out by saying:

"Hello, I am new to all this. My wife surprised me with my first every drone. I am looking forward to getting it outside to fly."

In a few months it will calm down again. I liked this statement from above posting -- "Drones are going thru a Fad Stage"

It's an expensive passion and you can't casually pop in and out. Just dealing with post flight charging and video requires additional time and dedication. Those who buy and fly for thrills only will crash or stop when they move onto the next instant gratification. I just found an awesome app called PhotoPills by PhotoPills S.L.
https://appsto.re/us/1wQHJ.i that adds new power to my flying and shooting planning and execution. On a windy day like today, I'm still moving my skills forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello Kevin, thank you for the information. I have been struggling to confirm that as true/false for a while. Do you have access to a map defining exactly which areas they have control of?
I remember there being a small model flying club out the back of Horrabridge, I guess they are gone now?
The club out the back of Horrabridge is the Plasterdown model flying club and they are still there. Flying days are Sunday and Wednesday and they do allow drones. Membership is £1 plus BMFA insurance. I am also a member of that club. Another club is near Cadover Bridge and is called the Cats Tor Model Flying Club, also allow drones and the Brisworthy Flyers is the club that I have just been involved setting up, also not far from Cadover Bridge for drones, fpv planes and racing drones and we have a great wood on our patch for that.
Getting information as to the area the Dartmoor Rangers have control of is not easy. They also control areas of the moors that is owned by Maristow Estates, which is a huge area on the Plymouth side of the moors. There is some great areas to fly around Burrator, but the rangers are getting very hot in that area now. Even though some of the areas are owned by Southwest Water and are not in the Dartmoor area.

The Typhoon H is not a toy. In the US, any drone weighing more than 250 grams must be registered with the FAA. The maximum penalty for not registering your drone is $250,000 and three years in jail. The FAA considers your drone as an aircraft. If you purchase a drone weighing more than 8.8 oz. you had better be prepared to deal with the responsibility. Go to www. Unmanned Aircraft Systems . The other FAA rules come with similar consequences. It has taken an average of 155 days for the FAA to contact a drone user after an illegal act.....but it will happen. Fly safe.

The Typhoon H is not a toy. In the US, any drone weighing more than 250 grams must be registered with the FAA. The maximum penalty for not registering your drone is $250,000 and three years in jail. The FAA considers your drone as an aircraft. If you purchase a drone weighing more than 8.8 oz. you had better be prepared to deal with the responsibility. Go to www. Unmanned Aircraft Systems . The other FAA rules come with similar consequences. It has taken an average of 155 days for the FAA to contact a drone user after an illegal act.....but it will happen. Fly safe.

And of course post Christmas crashing has the media back on the drone menace again. I purchase at a dedicated hobby shop because of the advice and service. I think it's nuts that Best Buy sells advanced and dangerous drones so casually. I now it's not current PC to bring up regulation but getting an FAA number registered (one registration covers all your drones btw) before you buy would be a good deterrent to the impulse purchaser. No one thinks twice about registering everything in their digital life to do anything these days so why not here?

The knowb4ufly program is to help you be safe and keep your investment. The way to prevent a crack down is to not create a reason to crack down and Christmas sales season is always a set back now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right now in the states we have to register them. I'm sure an insurance requirement is just around the corner.

I have an H but I also have a Q500 for a couple of years now and I do most of my flying in open feilds at different RV parks while camping. As I am flying it around the rv parks/ campsite people would follow it in their golf carts to find who's flying it. Most of the people who show up never even seen one in person and this is their first time. Because of all the bad press that drones get in the media they already have a negative attitude about them. One of the first comments I usually get is " Hey are you spying on us?". or "I was going to shoot it out of the sky". But after a couple of minutes of talking to them and explaining it to them and showing them what it does and how it fly's they like it and think it's cool. All of them walk away with a positive attitude towards them and most of the guys walk away wanting to know how much it cost and where to buy one.

In my country i cannot fly my H without a Drone licence for recreational use. because the weight is over 999 gram.
And it is not free
Drone course is around 900 euro
Drone registration is 128 euro/drone (i have 2 so 256 euro)
insurance is 80 euro/year
Drone practical exam is around 200 euro
And if you pass the exam you receive your drone licence class 2 for recreational use.
I now can fly until a height of 45 meter and need to keep the drone in visual range.
Also i need to stay away 30 meter from houses, buildings, trees, animals, people, etc... (o yes the 30 meter is also in height, so if i want to fly over a tree higher then 15 meter i'm not allowed)
Also need to keep an eye on privacy and need to check if i have permission to fly where i want to fly. and there are still more restrictions ...
If you want to now i live in Belgium (Euope)
Belgium has the drone legislation with the most restrictions in Europe.

Marnix

Its very concerning that so many new owners seem to be taking a drone out to fly without reading or more importantly understanding the instructions supplied and the warnings about calibrating the electronics BEFORE attempting to fly.
This hobby is under scrutiny like no other with claims of drones being involved in near-miss incidents at 11,000ft, (yes 11,000) scaring drivers on motorways, causing stampedes of horses, cattle, cats dogs, old people etc etc etc and the press just love it.

A recent claim that a drone was buzzing jetliners on approach to London Heathrow turned out to be a black bin bag blowing across the runway, but not before a daily paper headlined the drone version.

Even the rapidly created drone "industry" is over-reacting or to be more precise, falling over each other to make money out of training courses etc that cost more than a Typhoon H.

I have flown r/c helicopters since the last century (20th) and model aircraft for 50 years before that. I also have a PPL. Now suddenly I need a test and certificate of competence to fly a much simpler and failsafe drone or a commercial licence if it has a camera, just because a few idiots treat drones like a 3d video game where a reset is instantly available and nothing gets broken.

I bought one of the first available Typhoon H and I have 100s of hours of safe and event free flight recorded and successful s/w upgrades completed simply because I read the instructions until I understand what I am doing.

Drones are going through the fad stage just like skateboards did years ago when every kid on wheels was a public nuisance, hover boards fortunately killed themselves off but make no mistake, there are those that want to see drones banned and you are playing straight into their hands if you go flying something you don't understand.

Swallow your pride, break with tradition, put your ego on hold, whatever it takes and just read the bloody instructions or ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about, not a mate of a mate who can spell the word drone.

Its not often someone old enough to be your Granddad can be so smug but I am going to enjoy my 15 mins while some of you continue to defy gravity.
Alternatively if you have £1000s to write off, I'll give you my holiday fund a/c number.

Have a happy new year and please, be safe out there.
Brian I know what u are saying but in Aus they have relaxed the rules to a degree, but it looks like in the states they keep making it harder, but yes newbies need to read instructions and rules before flying and know their capabilities cheers

In my country i cannot fly my H without a Drone licence for recreational use. because the weight is over 999 gram.
And it is not free
Drone course is around 900 euro
Drone registration is 128 euro/drone (i have 2 so 256 euro)
insurance is 80 euro/year
Drone practical exam is around 200 euro
And if you pass the exam you receive your drone licence class 2 for recreational use.
I now can fly until a height of 45 meter and need to keep the drone in visual range.
Also i need to stay away 30 meter from houses, buildings, trees, animals, people, etc... (o yes the 30 meter is also in height, so if i want to fly over a tree higher then 15 meter i'm not allowed)
Also need to keep an eye on privacy and need to check if i have permission to fly where i want to fly. and there are still more restrictions ...
If you want to now i live in Belgium (Euope)
Belgium has the drone legislation with the most restrictions in Europe.

Marnix
Marnix, it sounds like it's hardly worth having a drone in Belgium so much nanny state and country

In the UK I am almost frightened to fly my drone. We have PC nannies calling the police about invasion of privacy when your flying miles from anywhere.
I flew 3 days ago close to a golf course, 300m away, and around 50m Altitude taking pictures of the sunset over the sea and two of these muppets came over and told me they were going to call the police! I packed up and legged it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20