Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flight did not go so well...

Thanks, think I might just do that. Rain tomorrow then gone for a week after. Will let you know how it goes if I can get out...

Did a brief test hop in the backyard, basically lifted off and hovered and flew around a bit in angle mode. I cannot get the GPS to stay locked and it looses it shortly after everything is initialized and seems to be working ok. I tried maybe a half dozen times. Will connect, show I am in the correct mode with GPS lock by a solid color then it starts blinking indicating I have lost the GPS. Showing a dozen or more sats on the Tx when this is happening. Last time it was showing 15. Also my camera gimbal does not seem to respond to the slider or switch commands.

Chuck

Did a brief test hop in the backyard, basically lifted off and hovered and flew around a bit in angle mode. I cannot get the GPS to stay locked and it looses it shortly after everything is initialized and seems to be working ok. I tried maybe a half dozen times. Will connect, show I am in the correct mode with GPS lock by a solid color then it starts blinking indicating I have lost the GPS. Showing a dozen or more sats on the Tx when this is happening. Last time it was showing 15. Also my camera gimbal does not seem to respond to the slider or switch commands.

Chuck
Purple with a white blip is normal. The purple means Angle mode and the white blip means GPS is ready.
The left side of the screen show the sats for the H. The upper right shows the sats for the ST16.
Are both camera switches in the up positions?

Purple with a white blip is normal. The purple means Angle mode and the white blip means GPS is ready.
The left side of the screen show the sats for the H. The upper right shows the sats for the ST16.
Are both camera switches in the up positions?

Both camera switches are up. No movement of the camera by slider on the side or rotary knob. It will center itself on boot up no matter what direction it is facing.

The card I have says the color led, whether green, purple etc has to stay solid for there to be a GPS lock. It said blinking means no lock. Is that incorrect and how do I verify if it is in fact locked or Not?

The card has never been updated by Yuneec, sadly. Green for Smart mode, Purple for Angle and White blips for GPS lock.
If both switches are forward, the rotation knob does not function. But the slider on the left side under the control should tilt the camera.

Both camera switches are up. No movement of the camera by slider on the side or rotary knob. It will center itself on boot up no matter what direction it is facing.

Well that makes me feel better. I did try all the positions for the camera switches but still no movement.
The card I have says the color led, whether green, purple etc has to stay solid for there to be a GPS lock. It said blinking means no lock. Is that incorrect and how do I verify if it is in fact locked or Not?
The card has never been updated by Yuneec, sadly. Green for Smart mode, Purple for Angle and White blips for GPS lock.
If both switches are forward, the rotation knob does not function. But the slider on the left side under the control should tilt the camera.

If you are inside with the props removed you can check the camera controls. It's a good idea to reboot both units to make certain you are still unable to tilt the camera. If it still doesn't tilt then check the slider by looking at the Hardware monitor to see if all the switches and sliders are working correctly. Check every switch and every control.

Go into the settings menu in the -16. See if the camera firmware is recognized and bound. Typically the camera is the easy one. Enter bind mode and refresh the list. Highlight the camera firmware and tap bind. Now select the camera type and choose CGO-3 Pro. Should you elect to perform a gimbal/camera calibration, place the gimbal slider in the center position, where center is just slightly higher than the middle, before starting the cal.

You don't have independent control of the gimbal unless the switch between the left one and the knob is off the upper position. The upper position of the middle switch keeps the gimbal facing forward. The left switch changes the gimbals maximum elevation, with the top position used most of the time.

Go into the settings menu in the -16. See if the camera firmware is recognized and bound. Typically the camera is the easy one. Enter bind mode and refresh the list. Highlight the camera firmware and tap bind. Now select the camera type and choose CGO-3 Pro. Should you elect to perform a gimbal/camera calibration, place the gimbal slider in the center position, where center is just slightly higher than the middle, before starting the cal.

You don't have independent control of the gimbal unless the switch between the left one and the knob is off the upper position. The upper position of the middle switch keeps the gimbal facing forward. The left switch changes the gimbals maximum elevation, with the top position used most of the time.

Thanks for that info. I still do not have any gimbal control. There is power to it because it will center from any position when the drone powers up. If I physically move it off center by hand, it returns to center. The camera also takes photos and video so that is not an issue. I did check the function of all switches and dials and all of those function normally. Just no gimbal control from the TX. Thoughts?

Tx Screen.jpg This is what my screen looks like. I did rebind the camera but still no movement other than when the unit boots up or I move it off from the center position. Controls have zero effect over it.

A. With the 2 camera switches in the middle position, you can not rotate or tilt the camera manually?
You cannot calibrate the gimbal, inside on a level surface?
If this is the case try sliding the camera off, depress the push tab while carefully pulling the gimbal forward. After you get it off, examine the rows of contacts on the gimbal and the craft. Sometimes one will get stuck down.

B. As the TH starts booting up (ST16 already on) in Angle Mode, OA off, watch the rear light and also the screen readout of GPS Sats, craft on left and ST16 on right.

Usually, the craft picks up Sats faster than the ST16. As the craft Sats reach and pass 12 or 14, the rear light will become solid purple.
Do nothing and keep watching. At this point the ST16 may have reached 7 to 9 Sats. When the ST16 accumulates 10 or more Sats, the purple light will have white flashes.

The white flashes over solid purple will continue as long as the ST16 sees more than 10 Sats.
When your craft has 16 to 20 Sats and the ST16 more than 10, you are good to go. That white flash indicates that the craft now knows the GPS position of the ST16 controller. Be sure OA is off when taking off and landing, and use Angle Mode.

C. Best of good luck to you.

Thanks Ray, have had the camera off and checked all connections, no matter what I do the camera will not move manually via the switches, knobs and slider on the TX. If a calibration is attempted there is no movement of the camera. It centers on start up or if I physically move it with my hand it will return to center so that and the camera functions themselves work fine.

I have had it out and tested most of the flight systems and so far so good although it has a considerable amount of drift when hands off.

I have tried doing an update multiple times that keeps telling me is successful but then will try and update again as if it never has. I am going to post a photo showing my updates and versions in case someone sees an issue there. Thanks for all the help... Chuck

The update it keeps telling me it is doing has to do with autopilot and landing gear improvements. Updates and installs but apparently is never recognized because it will keep trying to do the same one. Would like to be able to uninstall and reinstall the gimbal if that is possible as that might solve the problem? Not sure how if at all possible...

Attachments

• Updates.jpg
    Updates.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Update- took the system into a hobby shop about an hour away and mounted the camera from another drone on and it functioned fine. I am sure now the problem is a damaged wire from the initial impact the popped the camera off from the mount. Thanks again for everyone's help...

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ok, not sure what the beeping was for but it sure helped me locate the aircraft un in the tree. The transmitter was beeping after it went into the trees telling me that it had lost motor power which makes sense since they all stopped turning. As for the credibility issue. someone explained the false crash stories from another company to try and damage the reputation of the Yuneec. I fully understand because I own and operate a firearms training business and a gun shop and a sleazy local competitor creates fake FB accounts to leave negative ratings on my page to try and do the same thing. Sad people have to stoop that low... Everything is updated but now I am afraid to do a test flight.

As far as I know, there is no 'crash beeper' in the Typhoon H. However, you may check for the beeping noise by pushing the right hand joy stick when you have both the ST16 & the "H" turned on. When you push that joy stick in any direction with the motors turned OFF, you will hear a constant beeping sound. But if the joy stick is centered and you are not touching it, there should be no sound. I found out the hard way some time ago when I could hear that sound and the stick was untouched. Here is a tip for you. Go into the system settings and select "Hardware Monitor". This will show all your control switches, levers, joy sticks and their neutral positions. You can move any control and should see a deflection on the screen. Make sure that the J1, J2, J3 & J4 positions are at neutral. If they aren't all at neutral, it will show on the screen. As long as all the controls are neutral, then it should be ok to fly.

I think what you heard was the beeping noise due to one or more joy sticks being out of neutral.

If the noise persists, then the next step would be to do the 'Hidden Calibration', which is NOT mentioned in the manual. You have to go into the System Settings and then tap rapidly on the 'About Controller" button until a new screen appears. That will be the Test Screen. Tap on the HW Test and then press, push, rotate all of the control buttons, levers, sticks, etc. until they all display in green.

I would suggest contacting Customer Support for any further guidance on doing these tests.

I have started using the Hardware Monitor section as part of my pre-flight setup just to be safe.

Good Luck

I'm very much at the Rookie stage here, having only had my H for a couple of weeks. However when I collected it from UAVision the advice I received was NOT to do any calibration unless or until I had a crash. Mine was fine straight out of the box. Hmm - I guess this post might just confuse the issue further, so apologies if this is the case.

Not doing calibrations is a good way to induce a crash. I can see not doing firmware updates if what you are using functions well, but calibrating the compass, accelerometers, and camera are pretty important.

I'm very much at the Rookie stage here, having only had my H for a couple of weeks. However when I collected it from UAVision the advice I received was NOT to do any calibration unless or until I had a crash. Mine was fine straight out of the box. Hmm - I guess this post might just confuse the issue further, so apologies if this is the case.

Ask how many folks at UAVision actually fly Typhoons... if the reply is 0 or 1, you have your answer. Trust the
information posted on this board, as we members actually fly the same bird as you. I was also a complete
rookie flying RC when I started with this 6 months ago... ALL of the learning I have done has been achieved
with information from these forums and then, putting that info into practice. For me, this is not just a social board,
but an online training resource. And to all those who have helped me, have I lately said, "Thank You!"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss