Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flyaway? First one?

Hopefully Yuneec will be as obliging towards Ereese and he gets his problem sorted out.

The worst thing anyone can do when losing GPS is to trigger RTH. In essence, you are telling the FC to "Go Home". With no GPS is does not know where "Home" is, so where should it go? I'm sorry folks, but if people are not smart enough to understand that a GPS governed function does not function when there is no GPS the H is much smarter than they are. The H will at least try to stay in the air but the users seem to want to drive it away. When GPS fails the FC defaults to a mode similar to Angle mode and the user has to fly it. It will maintain altitude but the H has absolutely no clue where it is at. It's up to the user to know where their H is and fly it back to themselves or land it in place.

The worst thing anyone can do when losing GPS is to trigger RTH. In essence, you are telling the FC to "Go Home". With no GPS is does not know where "Home" is, so where should it go? I'm sorry folks, but if people are not smart enough to understand that a GPS governed function does not function when there is no GPS the H is much smarter than they are. The H will at least try to stay in the air but the users seem to want to drive it away. When GPS fails the FC defaults to a mode similar to Angle mode and the user has to fly it. It will maintain altitude but the H has absolutely no clue where it is at. It's up to the user to know where their H is and fly it back to themselves or land it in place.

Yes, and it reiterates the point of knowing how to fly. If you can't fly comfortably in angle mode, do not fly the H. There are cheaper ways to crash or lose your aircraft. Buy an $80 quad and learn without gps.
Not saying this is what happened, but it sure leaves the question open.

Provided you are in Angle mode, a temporary GPS dropout is not a big deal. If it's windy and you don't know the orientation of the bird, then it gets a bit more tricky, but you can always fly with the green arrow to get her home. RTH is not a good panic solution and as you point out, control is limited. RTH is also slow. Return speed is something like 12mph.

I just gotta say that shortly after the Phantom 2 Vision Plus came out there were a number of Youtube posts claiming flyaways and very erratic behavior of the drone, and subsequently it was shown that a good proportion of these videos were staged in order to get a high 'hit' count. I'm not saying that this vid is in that category. Indeed, the vid looks quite genuine to me...just making the observation.

Last edited:
Some are so excited bout having a bunch of people around, they take off before they have a good gps lock. Not saying this is what happened. I have had my TH out over 2800 ft with no problems.

Send yuneec the sd card in your transmitter
They will see the flight pattern

The ST-16 does not have an SD card unless the user installed one. However, the ST-16 does store the flight telemetry in the tablet, which can be downloaded via SD card to your computer for transfer to elsewhere. If the tablet has been set up to send and receive e-mail the telemetry can be transferred electronically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss