Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS to stop working on April 6th 2019 ?

Oh man.....the Y2K bug......that was a serious pain for a lot of nothing. Lots of long nights leading up to it.
Yep. Enjoyed spending NYE working in the refinery *just in case* instead of with the family. And absolutely nothing happened at midnight, 12:01, 1:00 am or otherwise. Bunch of IT consultants made a lot of money is all that happened.

Yep. Enjoyed spending NYE working in the refinery *just in case* instead of with the family. And absolutely nothing happened at midnight, 12:01, 1:00 am or otherwise. Bunch of IT consultants made a lot of money is all that happened.

Or... a lot of work was done prior to the turn, so nothing would happen!

Not saying all money spent was well spent, but I have to believe some of the effort was worth the cost. Preparation rather than repair-ation. o_O

I was there too, doing updates and stuff like that. Not in the IT realm, but in service and support.

Jeff

^^^^^ This.

We started a year in advance. By October we were doing live rollover tests. We were so hardened and compliant we didn’t bother staffing the computer room. It took a lot of work to get there.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Or... a lot of work was done prior to the turn, so nothing would happen!

Not saying all money spent was well spent, but I have to believe some of the effort was worth the cost. Preparation rather than repair-ation. o_O

I was there too, doing updates and stuff like that. Not in the IT realm, but in service and support.

Jeff
Point. Someone somewhere may have saved us from refinery armageddon, and everyone's gasoline prices spiking to $6-8/gal!!

This Is crap, that website they mentioned........really, more facebook false news for the weak minded.

If there would be any thing of this that makes sense, we will see a firmware-update comming very soon. I can not think this will be left aside as all drones are based upon GPS and would be affected, as much more GPS-devices.
I sleep on my both ears, but, thx for the warning. One may never know :)

Y2K was the same deal. We all just need to ditch any obsolete GPS modules.
I was an IT manager back in 1999 and it prompted us to upgrade the old COBOL code & Index Sequential files to a right proper database.

Y2K was the same deal. We all just need to ditch any obsolete GPS modules.
I was an IT manager back in 1999 and it prompted us to upgrade the old COBOL code & Index Sequential files to a right proper database.

I was a IT Mgr / COBOL programer in late 90's, then Fed Govt... old coworkers back at NorWest (later WellsFargo), spent months writing & patching code in preparations. Recall all the shops & hospitals mandating IT sit all night monitoring job streams for failures. We sat and monitored many Fed Govt systems considered critical, all went without a hitch.

Many did update core systems, most others built Ft Ends. Many large mortgage, insurance or financial companies are still running COBOL due to high cost of rewriting (multi-millions) all the reports, DB's, and core processing code. Many performed a quick code tweak or added module to handle the 4 digit year conversions or simple logic to add 19xx into the code. Then selects were tweaked checking for age of record if greater than 20 years old. Still have a family member in WellsFargo, indicates some of the back core processing is still running COBOL. They occasionally need a COBOL programmer, and it's become a premium salary to maintain old code for a small group 'ole school coders; The new Coders don't understand old architecture.

This GPS rollover isn't much, just a number reset for the 2nd time. 10 bit Word provides 1024 week max value for 19.7 yrs epoch term. First epoch went without a hitch in Aug 1999.

The death of COBOL was the single best thing that ever happened to trees. No more 10,000 punchcard stacks to do a simple calculation ?

Wow... that does go back! I used cards in college, had to wait all day to find out if my code had a bug. Later in the shop, we never had a card, read all "Old" "COBOL I" onto disk long before me, and "COBOL II" was all disk based going forward including quick calc methods: case, relational DB's, etc.

But in the schema, 1990 was still pretty young for IT. 10 yrs into desktop, and migrating from main to mini frames.

But, we did print thousands of pages of tractor feed paper to product the Source Books for reference.

The death of COBOL was the single best thing that ever happened to trees. No more 10,000 punchcard stacks to do a simple calculation ?

COBOL II still lives, in fact I recall in 2005-08 timeframe hearing of a COBOL III to help with transition of code to newer languages. I occasionally see positions for SR COBOL programmers for large companies... some paying more than top programmer positions. Then many firmware positions use COBOL and Assembly to keep code small in comparison to modern code size.

Reactions: PatR
I emailed Yuneec to ask them this question with regards to my H and my 4K. They have acknowledged receiving the question and I will post their response when it comes in. Till then.... Happy Flying (Spring is almost here!!!)

Last edited:
You're a dinosaur!!

True, but guess who was always pulled out of the tar pits when GUI methods couldn’t get it done?

Seriously though, the military GPS interruption exercises are causing a lot if problems wirh full scale as well. While the FAA is forcing everyone to use ADS-B, which relies heavily on GPS positioning the military is interrupting GPS and forcing air traffic rerouting while making instrument approaches unreliable and dangerous.

I received my reply for Yuneec Customer Support:

Hello Charles,

Thank you for contacting Yuneec! Your Q500 4K should not be affected by the April 2019 GPS rollover. Let us know if we can assist with anything else.

Thank you for choosing Yuneec!

Customer Care | Yuneec USA
2275 Sampson Ave. Ste 200
Corona, CA 92879
www.yuneec.com

We are good to go!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member