Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS Waypoints

As long as no better apps available I have added a poor Editor for CCC waypoints to the Telemetry-Analyzer.
No description up to now. In short:
1. Create a CCC flight path.
2. Export the file to PC
3. Edit the waypoints (add, delet, edit parameter) with this one:
http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.zip

View attachment 1865
4. Save with new name
5. Check it in Google Earth (export to KML or GPX)
View attachment 1863

6. Copy to ST16
7. Fly it save.

br HE

Thanks,,, how many CCC points can be made on the ST16, and then how many additional ones can be added with the software you posted?

I don't know, how many waypoints the Typhoon H can have. I have heard, that someone had over 40. Seems to be possible.
However, with the software above you can add as many as you want. Performance is good with more than 70 waypoints, but the question is, makes it sense?

I don't know, how often the images on the map services are updated. This depends on map service and area, you are in. Some areas have really old images, some are newer. Urban areas get usually more updates. In my area Google Maps has updated the pictures 3 times since 2009 till now.

br HE

I am a new Typhoon H owner. I did a lot of research and though the Typhoon H was a good value, especially when it went on sale apparently for just 1 day at Best Buy.
For some reason, I thought the Typhoon H had this feature, but that was a misinterpretation of mine from some information I read.

It is totally capable of doing this, and other drones in similar price points can do this.
What good is GPS if you cannot tell your drone to fly to GPS coordinates or find it at it's last GPS coordinate if it goes down, runs out of power etc.

I've seen this thread hasn't been replied to for some time. Any updated information on this would be helpful.

You certainly can find your downed drone at the last GPS coordinate. Your flight logs contain GPS coordinate data.

Waypoint flying is not all there is to having GPS. Without GPS the system can never know where it is or make use of an RTH function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You certainly can find your downed drone at the last GPS coordinate. Your flight logs contain GPS coordinate data.

Waypoint flying is not all there is to having GPS. Without GPS the system can never know where it is or make use of an RTH function.

Thank you, and I know GPS improves flight characteristics of a drone, Just was wondering why this drone does not have a GPS map Waypoint interface, as from everything I read, that is going to be standard on most drones with a price point around $1,000 K and up in the future.

I've flown smaller drones. May as well call them toys. Love my new H, and I am trying to learn as much as I can about them. I was recently looking at CCC editor and GPS Geoplanner, and it seems that one could use this to plot waypoints this way.

Also seems like there should be someway for the drone through an app to show it's location on Google Maps or something if you linked the drone to your Smart Phone. Its a great drone, don't get me wrong, but it'd be nice if this feature was added via an update.

I know the more I work with this, the more I have become interested in plotting GPS Waypoiints and automated flights.

This is from a review of a Typhoon H and from my research, it seems like this is a feature they planned to have for Typhoon users, but maybe pulled. After all they have a great little android tablet built in which would be perfect for this.

Waypoint Navigation

Ground station functionality provided by the ST16 includes waypoint navigation. With this autopilot mode, apply pushpins to a map to create "waypoints" that define the Typhoon H's course. Altitude, speed, and heading can all change at each waypoint.
Yuneec Typhoon H

Research Tuna's CCC editor app. New apps will start arriving after the 2nd quarter this year. I suspect map cacheing will be one of them. Nobody needs "live" maps because none of the map services provide real time maps.

The H does already have a type of map installed in the ST-16. Review your previous flight telemetry files to see them. They are pretty accurate for what they are.

Yes, UAV Toolbox (my app) gives you a full waypoint editor as well as telemetry replay on maps.

Though I can understand the attraction of flying looking at a map, the more I fly the less I'm worrying about where the drone is. I want to see what the camera sees (to get good video/photos) and I want visual contact so I don't loose the Typhoon, but really I don't tend to need to check if I'm near to a given road whilst I'm flying. The green arrow fills in for when I'm disoriented.

I'm curious how many people really want 'live' maps, particularly once they've got to grips with locating and controlling the machine?

Research Tuna's CCC editor app. New apps will start arriving after the 2nd quarter this year. I suspect map cacheing will be one of them. Nobody needs "live" maps because none of the map services provide real time maps.

The H does already have a type of map installed in the ST-16. Review your previous flight telemetry files to see them. They are pretty accurate for what they are.

Cool and thank you. I will review Tuna's CCC editor app. I have a lot to learn before I start messing around with Waypoints. Like I said, I know the drone can do it. It's just a matter of me learning how to use an editor and getting it to do it. IMO, this is a little more tricky, than having an integrated way to plot GPS coordinate right on a map or satellite overlay of Google Maps.

And thanks for telling me that you can review maps through flight telemetry files. They obvious next step is to use that map to follow way points, and this thing can already do it, you just apparently have to use an editor and preload the Waypoints with an editor before hand. But that's ok. If you practice a little, not only do you get a better feel for the way GPS works but also how a drone follows those waypoints.

Yes, UAV Toolbox (my app) gives you a full waypoint editor as well as telemetry replay on maps.

Though I can understand the attraction of flying looking at a map, the more I fly the less I'm worrying about where the drone is. I want to see what the camera sees (to get good video/photos) and I want visual contact so I don't loose the Typhoon, but really I don't tend to need to check if I'm near to a given road whilst I'm flying. The green arrow fills in for when I'm disoriented.

I'm curious how many people really want 'live' maps, particularly once they've got to grips with locating and controlling the machine?

I don't need a live map. And like I said, I am more or less new to drones that do this. But, the idea for me was to get a decent camera rig and stable platform to do some filming at industrial sites for my company. And plotting the way points would allow you to operate the camera more freely. But I appreciate a man that can write an APP like that. I work in IT myself, and I love technology, and love to see people develop their own solutions.

I take it, you download the Tuna App to the Android tablet on the ST-16, correct?

I don't need a live map. And like I said, I am more or less new to drones that do this. But, the idea for me was to get a decent camera rig and stable platform to do some filming at industrial sites for my company. And plotting the way points would allow you to operate the camera more freely. But I appreciate a man that can write an APP like that. I work in IT myself, and I love technology, and love to see people develop their own solutions.

I take it, you download the Tuna App to the Android tablet on the ST-16, correct?

Search UAV Toolbox and the installation instructions are on the website - it runs on the ST-16, full waypoint planning on vector and satellite maps.

I flew with a guy, once, that had an Inspire. If he had not had a map view and way points he would not have been able to fly it at all. He could not take off or land manually, having almost destroyed the Inspire twice before in trying. He was quite grateful for the DJI insurance policy. He lacked any ability to fly manually, using the "fly to here" functions to get from point A to point B. It was really quite depressing to watch that much incompetence being compensated for through software.

We can have all the way points we want, eventually, but we need to remember that without RTK and a very small CEP that location may only be accurate to within 8m or so. Differential GPS is mandatory if precise coordinates are required. If people absolutely, positively gotta have GPS, right now, they should buy something else. If I needed the best positional accuracy and a moving map view I would not buy Autel, Yuneec, or DJI. I would build my own system and use a Vector or Pixhawk. In both cases maps are cached because live view maps are massive resource hogs.

Search UAV Toolbox and the installation instructions are on the website - it runs on the ST-16, full waypoint planning on vector and satellite maps.
Thank you Tuna. I appreciate your taking time to reply to me. Thanks for your advice and comments.

I flew with a guy, once, that had an Inspire. If he had not had a map view and way points he would not have been able to fly it at all. He could not take off or land manually, having almost destroyed the Inspire twice before in trying. He was quite grateful for the DJI insurance policy. He lacked any ability to fly manually, using the "fly to here" functions to get from point A to point B. It was really quite depressing to watch that much incompetence being compensated for through software.

We can have all the way points we want, eventually, but we need to remember that without RTK and a very small CEP that location may only be accurate to within 8m or so. Differential GPS is mandatory if precise coordinates are required. If people absolutely, positively gotta have GPS, right now, they should buy something else. If I needed the best positional accuracy and a moving map view I would not buy Autel, Yuneec, or DJI. I would build my own system and use a Vector or Pixhawk. In both cases maps are cached because live view maps are massive resource hogs.

I totally appreciate that as well. Knowing how to manually fly a drone is going to get you out of more jams than relying on software and logic. Where the software and logic helps is in doing things I am doing like surveying industrial sites which can be tricky. You are flying inside, around machinery, under cranes etc. Off hours of course, but it's tricky and collision avoidance and follow me are really helpful.

If flying inside a building of wood, steel, or concrete construction you will not have GPS unless the building is equipped with a GPS receiver and repeater. Typically, those that do don't re-broadcast the GPS signal and confine it to a cable re-transmission network used for specific testing equipment. I work in one of those. You will not have the ability to use waypoints. You will either be good enough to hand fly the aircraft or end up with a broken aircraft and a most displeased customer.

If working outside in dimensionally critical locations the use of waypoints can be quite dangerous because both location and altitude accuracy varies widely. Unless you can allow a tolerance of +/- 50'-60' in all directions I'd recommend not using a waypoint to fix the aircraft position, especially when working around steel machinery. Waypoints are best used for surveying type missions or general routing in open areas.

People seem to think GPS will always save their day. That just ain't so.

Reactions: seabee
Thanks for the tips. I figured as much that I could not use GPS inside the building. I have been practicing inside a 175,000 sq ft. facility which we have taken over, is empty for now and will be completely renovated, so I will get plenty of practice in that place prior to having to fly in the smaller facilities.

RealSense, sonar, and IPS will be your best friends. Turn the GPS off when inside the building or be prepared for big surprises.

RealSense, sonar, and IPS will be your best friends. Turn the GPS off when inside the building or be prepared for big surprises.
Thanks. I got the standard H, but liked what RealSense did so much, I went and bought one and it's being shipped to my house. I like the fact it does 3D Mappings and can reroute itself, and then remembers and learns areas.

I will receiving my camera with the Peau 8.25 by tomorrow. However, the narrower FOV will likely not allow the
panorama feature in the latest update to properly stitch the photos together. Can you set 2 waypoints in the
same location, with the only parameter change being a change in yaw? That way you could take two panorama
series to stitch together.

Pat have you tried the panorama with your PixAero yet? Does it have enough overlap to work with that lens?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwight.a.atkinson