Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H+ vs P4P - Obstacle Avoidance

Reaction score
There are a number of videos out there comparing these two drones. In this one:
SKSVideoGuy makes an interesting point about the obstacle avoidance proximity sensors. The P4P has sensors all around while the H+ only has forward facing sensors, and in the case of the RealSense versions, downward sensors. While that may seem like a disadvantage, he points out that since the P4P camera can only face forward, to get slider and backward facing shots, the whole drone must turn and fly that way. Whereas the H+, with it's 360-deg camera and retractable landing gear, can get all these shots while flying forward. Hence, only forward facing sensors are required.

The camera has the sensor specs, log footage and pedigree (Hasselblad) to be great. Control over aperture may be huge.

Whether it flies well will be the main question.

I still dislike the DJI controller though especially when compared to the H controllers.

The camera has the sensor specs, log footage and pedigree (Hasselblad) to be great. Control over aperture may be huge.

Whether it flies well will be the main question.

I still dislike the DJI controller though especially when compared to the H controllers.
Agree on all counts. I will also add the lack of 360-deg gimbal making you fly backwards and sideways to get some of the best shots.
However, I mainly disapprove of their BigBrother approach to collecting information about the flights. I believe that is why the US military has stopped using them.

I definitely want a TH+ but I'm also looking for a portable camera drone. I don't always want to lug around a TH or TH+. Right now there's nothing spec wise that competes with the Mavic 2 Pro. We'll see what the reviews are like over the next few months from now. I will discount the DJI fanboy reviews.

C'mon Autel!!! We want the EVO with a 1" sensor.

At $1,500.00 plus another $300.00 to $800.00 for a necessary user screen, all before we start buying batteries, it’s a helluva price to pay for a diminutive airframe and camera. There’s still the issue of nannyware to contend with. It does have a lot of app options but still difficult to justify when another platform sells for half that providing acceptable image quality.

Interesting it provides “dolly zoom”. I wonder if that was added during the release delay to offset the Anafi?

Pat, you've nailed it on the obvious.

The camera by Hasselblad with aperture control, Hlog for video and solid dynamic range is impressive though. Reviews will reveal show how impressive it might be.

As you've mentioned there are many shortcomings to the Mavic Pro 2. It will not stand toe to toe with the H+ for many reasons.

The size and camera though will be 2 BIG selling points. For those of us who would like a smaller, capable camera drone in addition to an H or H+ this will be a consideration.

Owning a majority share of Hassleblad does imply a few advantages but how Hassleblad’s R&D team performs will be they key to performance and reliability levels. Hassleblad has not previously been a maker of small sized camera components. They’ve been more of a large format developer. For the past few years they’ve been in a poor business state. They’ve had about 12 months since DJI acquisition to integrate their processes with Chinese design engineering. If everything works as planned out the door that will be a lot more efficient transition than usually seen elsewhere.

Surprisingly, I have yet to see any video samples from any of the numerous beta testers. I had expected to see the forums flooded with them after this morning’s live event. What I have seen is DJI threads getting bumped to the top in another forum, and this one as well. I do not understand why a semi promotional DJI product thread is being actively run in this forum.

What should come as no surprise; if you have a Mavic Pro your batteries will not cross pollinate with Mavic 2. Spend mo money please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontier
There are some from the usual gang on YouTube.

Here’s one from a photographer I have respect for. Nothing in-depth but a start.

There are some from the usual gang on YouTube.

Here’s one from a photographer I have respect for. Nothing in-depth but a start.

First look. Thanks for posting, Ron.
So, I saw a lot of jerkiness in the pans of the opening scenes (plenty of Connection Speed). Maybe the result of too fast pans and 25fps. Also, note the fisheye distortion. Much worse than my CG03+ or what I've seen from the C23. Lighting was poor, but image quality was not spectacular. It will be interesting to see if drone pilots will be able to handle the adjustable aperture feature properly. It requires more photographic knowledge than previous consumer drone cameras.

Not to be critical or anything[emoji849], but WB was all over the map and horizons in the upper third of the frame were pretty bad. Thus far the CGO-4 does better than what was shown in that video. Short version is it didn’t show anything enticing for me.

Alas, Yuneec chose to abandon what would have kept them on top. Low light performance, aperture selection, zoom, and high bit rates have been strong features with the -4 since late 2014, early 2015. Someone with “connections” needs to grab a bat and regain Yuneec’s attention.

We’ll have to wait and see how the Mavic handles stabilization of zoomed imagery. As I don’t have software that will handle h265 I’ll have to wait and see what the impact is in the work of others.

Guys you make valid points but....

Ted’s video very likely wasn’t made for critical analysis. Most likely he simply wanted to introduce his audience to the new drone, his first impressions and what excited him about the new bird. He said that he did have only 2 days to fly and create the video in unflattering light in Ft Worth.

Heck, he might have been using beta level firmware. Too many unknowns and not enough time yet for anyone to get down and dirty with the aircraft.

What were things like with the H+ before its release to the public?

Guys you make valid points but....

Ted’s video very likely wasn’t made for critical analysis. Most likely he simply wanted to introduce his audience to the new drone, his first impressions and what excited him about the new bird. He said that he did have only 2 days to fly and create the video in unflattering light in Ft Worth.

Heck, he might have been using beta level firmware. Too many unknowns and not enough time yet for anyone to get down and dirty with the aircraft.

What were things like with the H+ before its release to the public?
Okay, okay. The jury is still out on the Mavic 2.

I disagree[emoji56]. Two of the reasons people make videos and put them on YouTube. Hit count advertising and to promote product/service. As DJI gave him the Mavic for promotional purposes he was pumping the Mavic. He was tasked to do so via a free drone, and even had a completion deadline.

Now, how well or how bad he did or didn’t do with drone or video is kind of irrelevant. He took it out of the box, used it, and posted the result. That’s pretty much what the average Joe Blow would do so it’s representative.

Here in the H forums we are typically pretty darn critical of the H’s even when we like them, and our new to drone users are more than willing to complain after a first flight. Why should the new Mavic be treated differently?

What you say is true about YouTubers in general. They derive compensation for their work. Who wants to work for free? :) . Ted's YouTube channel has over 481K subscribers. He is a force in the photographic community and definitely not an overnight success. He's worked hard to get there and offers a great deal of value to his audience. He's also not alone in this stature. There are a LOT of landscape photographers who use Mavics because of the portability and acceptable videos and photos. Yes, they ***** about the shortcomings of the Mavic but they need the portability. Not many photographers leading workshops in Iceland take a Typhoon H+ out there with them like MickeyBoo did.

These forums aren't YouTube though.

For example....The first videos of the H+ were from European dealers with lots of flight experience and a deep knowledge of Yuneec drones. Eventually a number of professionals who make money from their Yuneec drones got their new H+ drones and started contributing their critical analyses on the various aspects of the aircraft including video. Again, highly sophisticated pilots who really knew their way around the drone *and* video and photo production. This is a real boon for the readers and participants in the forum. This is what makes this forum a community and so worthwhile. Sharing knowledge and experiences is powerful.

The Mavic shouldn't be treated differently and likely it won't be in the good forums among seasoned DJI Mavic pilots. You already know that you don't have to look too hard to find DJI owners that aren't fanboys.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
And non owners that have similar sentiment, of which I am one.

I’m not hitting on the guy’s ability in any way, just saying that for $1,450.00 plus peripherals I would have anticipated a lot better product performance out of the box, especially with Hasselblad as the camera maker. I can’t understand why they would affix their name to a camera equipped with that lens, unless decent product quality is totally left up to post processing. Note I didn’t say great product quality, just decent. Go Pro Hero White shot a better horizon than that.

We were very critical of the C-23 and E-90 lenses from day one as well, and still are[emoji6] Again, I’m not slamming on the video author, just what the product delivered “as is”. The company histories and price would suggest it do better, even for a casual user. BTW, from the video I thought the low light imagery was a lot better than the daylight stuff

Fair enough, Pat. From our biased Yuneec perspective the cost of the Mavic 2 Pro is a boon for the H+ as they aren't far apart. At some point those who aren't enamored by portability and smaller size will likely look towards an H+.

Yes, the low light videography looks to have some real potential along the the D-log 10 bit color. That is something that could be added to the H+ but its also something that a camera maker like Hasselblad understands in great detail.

Fair enough, Pat. From our biased Yuneec perspective the cost of the Mavic 2 Pro is a boon for the H+ as they aren't far apart. At some point those who aren't enamored by portability and smaller size will likely look towards an H+.

Buy price paid by a person in another forum, the Mavic 2 is pretty much tied in price with an H Plus when DJI care and a battery is added to the sale.

When I go to events I have to say it's a pain in the rear to lug around a backpack with a drone and batteries. It just is. Doesn't matter if it's a Typhoon H, a Phantom or whatever. Then you see a guy effortlessly carrying a Mavic in an oversized lunch bag and frankly I was a bit envious.

The MP2 is probably more stable that the MP since it is a bit larger and heavier. I saw a MP and a P4 in a high wind situation at my favorite flying beach. Honestly the P4 got tossed around worse than the MP.

If it weren't for GEO I'd order a MP2 today.

PS I had both the MP and P4 for a short time.

Reactions: PatR and rdonson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20