Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to be ready to fly within an hour.

Reaction score
What's your recommendation to be able to fly in less than an hour? In what condition shall a store the battery?
Fully charged in room temperature or in 8-9degrees Celsius and just put it in the H and fly? There is no time to charge the battery.

For what it's worth... I fly all kinds of electrics not just drones ( although I guess everything now is considered a drone ) so I have between 40 and 50 lipo's all sizes and I keep them all fully charged all the time, but I keep them in a refrigerator ( small one from Wal-Mart). This slows down the chemical reaction that would normally make a lipo deteriorate if kept fully charged at room temperature.
That being said, you can't just plug one in and go fly. The same cold that saves them stops them from performing and you will get very short flights and damage the cells because of high resistance when cold. They need to be warmed up before use. Hobby King sells a lipo bag that has a heater in it to warm up batteries like this and for people that live in very cold climates. It can be set to different temperatures and plugs into the cigarete lighter socket in you car so by the time you get to your flying site they are ready to go. You can also run it off of your power supply at home. I can't remember but I think lipo's operate a peak performance at around 90 degrees F. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. Anyway, thats just how I do it, not saying it's right or wrong.

Reactions: Steve Carr
What's your recommendation to be able to fly in less than an hour? In what condition shall a store the battery?
Fully charged in room temperature or in 8-9degrees Celsius and just put it in the H and fly? There is no time to charge the battery.

I keep 4 batteries charged pretty much all the time at room temperature. When I finish flying for the day I put them on the charger as soon as possible after letting them rest for 15 or 20 minutes. I don't storage-charge them unless I know I'm not going to use them for a week or more (almost never happens). I use a 10-amp dual-output charger, so I can cycle a battery in less than an hour (plus "rest" time).

Prathbun does what many need to do, he has the equipment on hand that permits effective handling of the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CC Rider
For what it's worth... I fly all kinds of electrics not just drones ( although I guess everything now is considered a drone ) so I have between 40 and 50 lipo's all sizes and I keep them all fully charged all the time, but I keep them in a refrigerator ( small one from Wal-Mart). This slows down the chemical reaction that would normally make a lipo deteriorate if kept fully charged at room temperature.
That being said, you can't just plug one in and go fly. The same cold that saves them stops them from performing and you will get very short flights and damage the cells because of high resistance when cold. They need to be warmed up before use. Hobby King sells a lipo bag that has a heater in it to warm up batteries like this and for people that live in very cold climates. It can be set to different temperatures and plugs into the cigarete lighter socket in you car so by the time you get to your flying site they are ready to go. You can also run it off of your power supply at home. I can't remember but I think lipo's operate a peak performance at around 90 degrees F. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. Anyway, thats just how I do it, not saying it's right or wrong.
Great info OUTLAW! Thanx!

I tend to keep my batteries at 75% charge, unless I don't plan on flying for a very long period of time. If its long storage, I just fly them down or charge them up to 50%...

At 75% charge, I can be GTG in an hour with a fully charged pack.

I normally leave my batteries at storage charge, room temperature, so, yeah, if pushed I could probably have one charged up within the hour. Normally, though, if I know that I'll be flying on a particular day I'll charge up the number of batteries I think I'll need the night before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers