Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
So iv just dusted off my Yuneec Mantis Q 45mph drone for a bit of fun only to be met with disappointment with a £210 Bill!

Its been in the spare room on a shelf inside its carry case for about a year.
Bought it with 3 batteries which cost around 70gbp each or 210 total.
Not a single battery is able to hold a charge and power the drone despite keeping all my batteries fully charged when in storage. You know like every other electrical device!
Done a bit of digging, read the manual back to back and word for word and nothing, nada, zilch, bugger all. No charging warnings or anything.

Done a bit more digging online and it turns out Yuneec knew all about this and choose not to include it in any user manual or documentation.

The problem is that drone batteries need to be stored at around 30-50% charge state which is usually how the manufacturers sell them for the longest life too.
Further you are required to buy a third party battery charger / load dumper in order to do this the correct way and store your batteries when not in use (which is like 99% of their lifetime). THE CHARGER THAT COMES WITH THE DRONE DOES NOT DO THIS AND WILL BRICK YOUR BATTERIES!
Might as well throw it right in the bin as its pretty much worthless given the above.

Whats worse is it would have cost next to nothing to include a small paragraph in the manual explaining this.
I for one will not be buying any more Yuneec products after this experience. Im well peed off about this now. All it would have took to avoid it was a small warning in the manual and they dropped the ball hard on that.
Obviously to force us all to keep buying batteries at 70gbp a pop whenever we want to use our drone the next time.

Disgusted

You didn't read the manual. Check page 25.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It’s safer and better for the longevity of the battery to store it only partially charged for any length of time. Storing the batteryapproximately 50% charged is typically best, however, it will take some careful management of the charge time and the use of a volt meter to achieve thisvoltage. If you have the equipment and skills to achieve the 50% charge level for storage it is recommended. If not, simply be sure to not store the batteryfully charged whenever possible.In fact, as long as the battery will be stored at approximately room temperature and for no more than a few weeks before the next use, it may be best tostore the battery in the discharged state after the last flight (as long as the battery was not over-discharged on the last flight).

P.S.

You can give me your drone, I will take care of it. :)

You didn't read the manual. Check page 25.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It’s safer and better for the longevity of the battery to store it only partially charged for any length of time. Storing the batteryapproximately 50% charged is typically best, however, it will take some careful management of the charge time and the use of a volt meter to achieve thisvoltage. If you have the equipment and skills to achieve the 50% charge level for storage it is recommended. If not, simply be sure to not store the batteryfully charged whenever possible.In fact, as long as the battery will be stored at approximately room temperature and for no more than a few weeks before the next use, it may be best tostore the battery in the discharged state after the last flight (as long as the battery was not over-discharged on the last flight).

P.S.

You can give me your drone, I will take care of it. :)
Ah good to know it's just me then, Iv got a printed out copy of the manual mate never seen any such warnings sadly and I read it before each flight. But mine dont have page numbers so I'm guessing it's a user made manual. Iv found someone selling one with a few extra batteries so I'll probably buy that and I found accompany in Germany selling new batteries too but they are like 70 quid.

Ah good to know it's just me then, Iv got a printed out copy of the manual mate never seen any such warnings sadly and I read it before each flight. But mine dont have page numbers so I'm guessing it's a user made manual. Iv found someone selling one with a few extra batteries so I'll probably buy that and I found accompany in Germany selling new batteries too but they are like 70 quid.
Yeah the batteries are pretty expensive.

So I don't have a Mantis Q, but I do have a Typhoon H. Here's the manual for that, check page 25 for the battery data:

Here's the manual for the Manits Q:

Interestingly, the manual doesn't give the same warning about storage. But regardless, if I were you I would have looked into LIPO batteries more after reading all those warnings and how much of a disaster they can be if not cared for properly. You're lucky you didn't burn your house down!

Yeah the batteries are pretty expensive.

So I don't have a Mantis Q, but I do have a Typhoon H. Here's the manual for that, check page 25 for the battery data:

Here's the manual for the Manits Q:

Interestingly, the manual doesn't give the same warning about storage. But regardless, if I were you I would have looked into LIPO batteries more after reading all those warnings and how much of a disaster they can be if not cared for properly. You're lucky you didn't burn your house down!
Yeah had no idea mate. Strange they didnt put it in the q manual. If it burns peoples houses down just by following the instructions I'd be worried like. In future I will land at 50% which actually sucks but it is what it is

In fact, the forums would be better to attend them before having problems, because after it is almost always too late....There's a lot to learn in the forums!
Yeah the forums are great. Learned how to replace my micro servo somewhere here a year or so ago

Reactions: 7cyclops
Yeah had no idea mate. Strange they didnt put it in the q manual. If it burns peoples houses down just by following the instructions I'd be worried like. In future I will land at 50% which actually sucks but it is what it is
You don't have to land at 50%. You land at low battery warning as normal. The battery "bounces back" to about 50% voltage, which is a good storage condition. Note the voltage bounces back. Not the actual capacity.
The general idea is to fly the batteries out, then store them without charging them. It would get more complicated over long storage periods because you need to monitor them occasionally.

Ah great ill do that thanks for tip mate
Yeah but make sure you get a proper charger / discharger / storage charger.

I recently got one (frankly I recently got into using Yuneec drones) and was using the method advised by WTFDproject and that seemed to be successful (no complaints at all, seemed to work well)

I then did the same thing and set the batteries I did this with onto the "storage charge" setting of a SkyRC e680 and it did some magic for 16-30 or so minutes on each battery. My point is that at least you will have the total peace of mind that you've got it set for proper storage levels.

I recently got one (frankly I recently got into using Yuneec drones) and was using the method advised by WTFDproject and that seemed to be successful (no complaints at all, seemed to work well)

I then did the same thing and set the batteries I did this with onto the "storage charge" setting of a SkyRC e680 and it did some magic for 16-30 or so minutes on each battery. My point is that at least you will have the total peace of mind that you've got it set for proper storage levels.
yeah it thnk i will probably have to get one of these third party chargers and do away with the yuneec one. Thats if i decide to buy more batteries because i paid the same price for 1 battery for the drone and 3 batteries so yeah 70gbp for a battery is a big ask

Hey guys I have a mantis Q and 3 bloated batteries, can someone direct me to how/ to buy the batteries at

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold