Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I did the unthinkable

CraigCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Today on the way home to Tucson, I did an improv pull off on I-8 at a picnic stop near the Vekol Valley AZ exit. The sky was setting up nicely and I was an area of undeveloped land full of cactus and cool rock formations. I decided to hike up the lowest hill to see the valley on the other side and eliminate any chance of getting the freeway in the video. It was a good hike up and I was a bit winded and I reminded myself to take my time and during set up, catch my breath.

Once my level launch area was prepped, I slid in a battery and did a compass calibration. I let it sit, got GPS locks, turned it off, installed camera, rebooted, got everything connected, turned on my strobe light, set my white balance, ISO, and shutter speed to look great and lifted off. Checked my hover, stability, stick response, hit record and headed out towards my goal which was the next rock hill formation about a 1/2 a mile south of me.

The shot was going great and I flew a comfortable distance away, stopped, started a slow pan to the right and began a pull back. The strobe was really helping me maintain VLOS as being up high, I was looking straight at the drone and it was easily lost in the horizon for its shape but not that blinking light. As I looked down at the screen, it went blank and reverted to home screen as if the H was not on. I looked up and the light was gone. I knew it was not a fly away but rather a total power loss in flight. That was reinforced by the sickening boom I heard also.

My mind was thinking through all the possibilities of what went wrong as I scrambled down the rocks toward the valley below. I took the St with me and more importantly my water bottle as I began my search for my crashed Typhoon. As I headed toward what I thought was the last location a nagging thought formed in my head which was did I hear the battery click? But then I thought why wouldn't it have come loose during the calibration earlier with all the rolling?

Once on the valley floor, running out of time and daylight, I blundered around thinking perhaps I would hear it beeping. I kept the ST on in case it might connect to the crashed H if it was still on. I turned off the ST to listen more intently. The combination of the silence and no camera connection brought me back to that battery install and maybe I just blew it. Now I really wanted to find it and realized the ST had the internal video file and it could help me search.

I turned it on and began to try to understand the camera view from the flight relative to my ground position. I also remembered that the distance you think you travel is less due to the perspective of the H size relative to its position. I studied the ground terrain and my flight path of how far I went out and when I turned towards those rocks I was using as center frame with the sunlight hitting them.

I hiked back towards my hillside as the more I studied the video, the more I realized my horizontal flight out was not as far as I believed. Once I had the same view of the small rock (my subject) with its larger brother rock to its side framed like my shot then I knew that was my flight path. It took me a bit to find the sweet spot where the video paused on the ST of my heading prior to the pan and reverse was the same as what I saw on the ground but once I did, I spun around and about 100 yards back, saw my strobe blinking.

I headed over to the expected carnage and surprisingly, the H faired pretty well. But the camera was completely destroyed as was the gimbal. The battery was still inside and popped out slightly and my fears were confirmed and I knew it was my fault and a major pilot error. The SD card was gone and camera pieces were everywhere. It appeared to have hit belly down and then bounced up without the camera attached (it was buried in the dirt) and the H flipped on its back. The force of the impact dropped the gear down and the skids broke but not the leg or motors or arms.

I realized in my slow hike out cradling my broken H in my arms that I have gotten to comfortable with the battery install and always assumed I push it in all the way. And I could swear I did on this Ill fated mission and the fact it didn't disconnect during compass cal also is weird. But since I was reversing, that tips the rear down and that's a perfect time for gravity to get you twice. Once when your it battery slides loose, and two when it hits the ground. I can guarantee that's never happening again and I'm grateful it happened in a secluded area. I also learned how to find a crashed drone with your handy data in your controller.

I'll post pics tomorrow of the camera. It's sad and funny at the same time.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that. Glad you found it and although the camera is lost the drone being relatively ok.

Very good, and brave, to post your mishap. Good to stay aware that even a very experienced dronist may forget some detail in is pre-flights.

cheers!

Craig, I am really sorry to hear this. You come across as a very professional, and cautious/careful pilot. Your honesty just goes to highlight how quickly things can go bad, even with experience. I've caught myself a few times prior to powering up and I have pulled the battery and then inserted it again just to be sure it is seated properly.
I hope you can get back in the air again soon buddy.
Good tip also on the video playback from the ST16 - sounds like it saved you some time.

On a side note, it makes me wonder just how many other similar stories we've heard from other members who may not have been as honest with their scenario's.

Reactions: segpie
Thanks for sharing your information. Sorry about your crash. I'm one of the types (Obsessive Compulsive) that will double and triple check critical things like the battery seating and camera mounting. Some times the preflight checks could last longer than the flight.

CC,

I was hoping for a silver lining to your story, the type that go: "Then I woke up! It felt so real I had to go check and be sure my H was in it's 'hanger' and its battery was still secure.'

Sorry to read of your misadventure. Hopefully others will read and increase their awareness.

Here's to getting her repaired quickly and successfully.

Jeff

Craig, I am really sorry to hear this. You come across as a very professional, and cautious/careful pilot. Your honesty just goes to highlight how quickly things can go bad, even with experience. I've caught myself a few times prior to powering up and I have pulled the battery and then inserted it again just to be sure it is seated properly.
I hope you can get back in the air again soon buddy.
Good tip also on the video playback from the ST16 - sounds like it saved you some time.

On a side note, it makes me wonder just how many other similar stories we've heard from other members who may not have been as honest with their scenario's.
So true. I've veiwed quite a few videos on Youtube about sudden power loss in flight for Q500's. Makes me wonder if the pilots did indeed ensure the battery was fully seated. I know on my Q500, I can push the battery in until it becomes snug, but another push is required for it to properly seat.

Dayum! You know I feel your pain, my friend.

Very similar to the scenario with my crash 2 weeks ago, but not as far out. I think the battery
had been still providing power when I found the wreckage of mine, because I had to power
off the H with the main button.

I have not posted much about my crash as of yet, because I'm still waiting on Yuneec's
interpreting of my last log file that I sent to them... will follow up with CS this week,
as the initial queue timeframe that was claimed (6-10 days) has now passed.

When I got my second Typhoon H I noticed a difference in the way the battery felt as I put it in. It felt like there was some resistance. When you look into the battery opening you can see the main battery connector and directly below that is the back of the sonar module. The module has a rubber grommet that runs all around it's body. On mine the rubber had lifted slightly. This then rubbed against the end of the battery and occasionally jam it.

Could this be what's happening to others?

I've wrapped some cotton round the rubber to hold it down out of the way. It is still sticking up slightly on the right but not enough to stop the battery. I'll take him apart again when I've got time and redue it.

I suspect the above is a pretty common theme with total power loss events.

Craig,

Really sorry to hear you put one in the dirt, regardless of the cause. However, it's great to read how you assessed the situation and developed a means to assure it doesn't happen again.

A suggestion; if and when we experience a fly away or power loss, don't turn off the ST-16. Take a few moments to note the last GPS position displayed on the screen. From personal experience, that data reference can lead you right to where the H is sitting, or very close to it. Just input the location data into Google Earth.

Reactions: FePhoenix and Texy
Gentlemen, thanks for all the hopeful encouragement. While a UAS crash is bad it's never as bad as any manned crash so it's only a loss of property. For sure I'm going to be a battery seating fiend even more than I though I was already. When I open it up later to check all internal components, I will look at the battery connection for sure. It's pretty much the same set as my Chroma the way the connecting tabs sit on the plastic frame and it can move for sure. Ive obviously been playing the crash over in my head (as a side note my desert adventure got me back onto I-10 only to get stuck for two hours with an accident freeway closure so I had time to ponder and then came home and wrote up the post while it was still fresh on the brain) and what I did wrong. So here is a few more I've accepted.

One. I was very tired from working all week and driving all day. I'd also been on the phone for hours trying to find out about my mom who. Any or may not have had a second stroke (long story and dysfunctional siblings) which was jacking my emotions and adrenaline around. I actually wanted to fly to have "control" over something and make my day better with that awesome sunset and location.

Two. It was an impulse stop with no scouting prior to this and because I've done similar areas, I opted to climb up the mountain rather than pop up at the rest stop and film a bit and be content.

Three. The climb was exhausting and even though I thought I was careful I clearly forgot a very important double check (triple from now on) and I also launched with the H oriented away from my flight path by 180'. So I spun the H around clockwise away from myself before I hit the camera button and sped away. I had changed my pre flight hover observance procedure that day.

Four. I contemplated using OBS to keep everything smooth and slow but instead wanted to get faster motion shots.

Five. I was in full reverse and since I've tweaked the expo curves, I've got a lot of thrust when needed and was looking to go as fast as I could backwards which I know from my videos tips hard as my pods will get in the shot. So I started out slow to get her moving (no jerk tip to ruin shot) but then buried the stick back. So I had the rear down for a prolonged time as I was reversing when it dropped.

Six. Every scenario from this forum was going through my head and I was worried about warranty as my year is almost up on this one. But this H has been crazy reliable and is my A team rig and the more I worked down that hill the more the conclusion of total power loss caused by me became the only logical explanation.

Seven. I could have avoided it but I still had made the mistake had I never reversed or flown a less ambitious route.

Eight. I'm glad it happened. My piloting arrogance needed a wake up call and obviously my fateful spur of the moment decision was part of that crash as much as anything else. No stop, no crash but what about the next time? What if I was showing off at my park and crashed there to then be banned? What if I'd been over my house or neighbors? Worse, what if it hit me in the head on a 200' free fall?

Nine. I was ill prepared to go down to get it and did not take my phone or a light and was against the sunset. I knew I did not want to leave it but no one knew I was on the other side of a mountain looking for it. My water bottle hit half full while searching (rule of survival in the desert here is to turn around when you have consumed half your water) and for a moment thought about the headlines when they found my heat stroked body out there with the buzzards.

Ten. Being calm is everything and the ST really came through even with the usual color drop washes you get with that playback. So for everyone who wonders what the gallery is really for, I think this is it.
Buying that strobe light and attaching to the gimbal and turning it on was very important and I'm getting more lights and I think I'm going to put them on my batteries rear ends now as a permanent fixed rear light as the one on the gimbal can spin around away from you. That's great for camera orientation checking when looking up but not so great for looking at the same level (200' Mtn and then straight out with never any elevator input) but it was the lack of that blinking light in the sky that told me it fell straight down and was not flying away. Having that knowledge helped me find it but also gave me confidence to search which could have gone south at anytime with a trip or fall scrambling around on loose rock in a spine filled desert at dusk. I did emit a celebratory whoop when I spotted the stobe blinking on the ground.

Eleven. Fix it. Beg for forgiveness from your wife as you explain how you still need two cameras and move on.

12. Never forget your crashes but don't let them own you. As soon as I can I'm going back to that spot and finish my video as its a great location but next time, take the crew. And Yuneec and the H had nothing to do with this crash and while I'll still call them to discuss, have no expectations of help.

Last edited:
Here is some fun pics.
e0fdfae6ae5870add6fb85ba4858eeb3.jpg

21dd24bb560e249f06725f9c540b2aa2.jpg

Craig, a perusal of your flight logs should instantly tell you what your voltage conditions were at time of failure. Also, a failed solder joint from the battery to PDB will exhibit the same exact behavior in terms of failure.

Gutted for you. Hope you can get back in the air soon.

Do our batteries have internal protection like some I have seen? Too high of a charge current or too low of a discharge stops the battery function.

When I got my second Typhoon H I noticed a difference in the way the battery felt as I put it in. It felt like there was some resistance. When you look into the battery opening you can see the main battery connector and directly below that is the back of the sonar module. The module has a rubber grommet that runs all around it's body. On mine the rubber had lifted slightly. This then rubbed against the end of the battery and occasionally jam it.

Could this be what's happening to others?

I've wrapped some cotton round the rubber to hold it down out of the way. It is still sticking up slightly on the right but not enough to stop the battery. I'll take him apart again when I've got time and redue it.
I had the same issue with mine. I had to take it all apart and re-glue the rubber part.

T.C.

From what I've seen our batteries appear to have a discharge cut off that triggers at 12.8v. I had one fully discharge in a tree after a fly away and another that I bought used in "good condition" from a seller that had crashed his H. That one was at 12.8v when it arrived at my door.

Side note; Don't buy used batteries from anyone unless you get to test the battery first.

Reactions: Jim Davies

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech