Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I have flipped my H on landing 3 times now. ENOUGH!

Okay, so I decided to go ahead and spend my saturday creating this new video for you all, with all my heart.

As it has been mentioned before, watching video footage of said incidents would clear a lot of things up. But most of the time we have to rely on the "I did nothing wrong, the H crashed itself" description.

Im deeply sorry if some of you find it "offensive" when some one tells you you might be causing your own problems. I believe this particular problem (tipping over) most definitely has to do with the way the H works, and the lack of familiarity, which might catch us off-guard.

As I see it, the way the H is programmed, pulling the left stick all the way down does not guarantee motor idling if landing wasn't performed correctly. Solely relying on the left stick all the way down is not enough, you must perform corrective actions to prevent the aircraft tipping over (if such scenario happens). Obviously the best approach is to practice appropriate landing.

You don't need surgeon precision during landing, but you must be aware that bouncing your aircraft on the ground is Not the appropriate way to land. I've seen a few videos around youtube of people who definitely just smack the aircraft as they land, and I even remember people complaining around the forum (a long time ago) that they were tired of "the flimsy" landing gear breaking when they landed!

Anyway, I hope this video explains my idea better and helps you with your issues. I'd love to know if you agree or disagree with me,

Greetings!

^^ Once again, great work on the video. Putting together a video like this takes a lot of time - thank you.

You have certainly covered some of the issues that people may be encountering when landing and lets hope this helps to clear things up.

I like your way of thinking. I'm considering making a video showing repeated landings as well. They really are not all that hard to do. The problem for me is I don't know how to make a video that contains synced sub video windows in them. Showing the H during a landing is one thing. Showing the control inputs that correspond to the aircraft visuals is another.

Hmm, that got me to thinking. If I set up one H on a table to use the camera to film record another H being landed, connected an HDMI cable from the ground camera H to a large monitor, set up an a6000 with a 16mm or 20mm lens in a position that filmed both the ST-16 and the monitor, it just might work, Perhaps a little too much work.
Making a video that contains synced sub video window is quite easy to do (depending on which editor you are using, of course...well it's easy using Filmora anyway). Here's one I did some time ago on a take off...you only need to see the first 17 seconds (sorry it's Phantom footage)...

I had my H flipped once because it drifted during landing.
As soon as it touches the ground while drifting it is not horizontal anymore and the motors (well... the autopilot) try to compensate. At that moment the throttle full down did not idle the motors and the red button did not work (fast enough) so it flipped.

Did calibrate compass (I always point the nose in north direction) powered down and rebooted, calibrated accellerometer (static, so on horizontal flat and solid surface) powered down and rebooted..... After a good wait for GPS (12 minutes) it never flipped again (newest EU firmware).
That's why 99.9% of the time I catch mine

What is the solution to this? What am I doing wrong? How do I prevent it? These props are a ridiculous $6.66 each and I can't make a profit if I keep breaking two of them at a time and then waiting weeks for more to be delivered. I used to have three full sets of them.
Buy a set of them from Amazon 2 day shipping

I've owned my H for a year now. Every time there is a firmware update, I apply this to my H and my ST16. After 12 months of taking off, flying, and landing my H in all sorts of conditions. I have never had a flip-over. Still on the original set of props (although one is now showing signs of wear in the locking mechanism). Maybe I'm lucky. I think not.

With all this talk from members having issues landing, it would be great to see some actual video of the proposed incidents so we can try to further assist. I'm not discounting the incidents, but without really seeing the behaviour of the H (and pilot/operator) on approach, then it starts to get pretty darn hard to decipher things.
I have great video of my flip landing....you can actually see the shadow and movement.
of drone in the vid.
And after watching JulesTeo's landing video ,I will concede it is a rough landing.
However...I think it was a combination of the soft landing gear material and that material contacting the asphalt contributing to a larger bounce and resultant flip than I normally get on a softer dirt or grass area.
There are also conflicting opinions on the best procedure for landing.....some say to let hover and stabilize about a foot off the ground...... and Ive read others say to bring straight down with authority and no hesitation after about 3 feet off the ground to reduce the chance of drifting.
The latter is the procedure I usually use.
Well,since mine came with an extra set of props and I've only ruined 2 so far.....I'm willing to try practice landing again....perhaps using the slow low hovering technique.
I would like to post my vid but am at my vacation home this week and just getting online let alone trying to upload a video is a chore with a super slow connection.

I respectfully disagree. It happened to me twice when I first got mine and I am almost 100*/ positive I did not do anything wrong. Calm winds, flat pavement. (If you read my other post about blaming the H vs. accepting responsibility, you will see that I have no issue with not passing off blame if it was my fault) The H was already on the ground with me pushing the red button and the motors momentarily fluttered and sped up causing the tip overs. I have since hand caught usually without incident, but yesterday I went to hand catch and as usual, had the landing gear grasped and pushing the button down, the motors started to do the same thing and It took an extra second or two of me holding the button down with the motors doing the same thing before finally shutting off.

I too had the same issue when I first bought my H. It was operator error though. Reason I say this was, the drone knows if it's not on even ground. Mine tipped when I tried to land it and the propellers broke off. I even tried to keep it to the ground one time and It nearly cut off my fingers and put a nasty cut on my palm.

I than learned that If the engines are still accelerating when touching the ground and see it wanting to tip, I should bring it back up and retry to land the H.

It's important for every person flying these things to get a feel for landing and taking off and know when to bring it up when it's about to tip after landing so you can manuevar it out of these issues when attempting to land.

It's helped me greatly over the months owning one. My H hit a tree cutting off two of the engines from a wind draft out of know where and learning how to land it helped me bring it down when it was spinning out of control in. Again, an example of why it's important to learn how to land.

Ever see a helicopter pilot drive their helicopter all the way to the ground, or do they stop or significantly slow before touchdown to soften the arrival?

Even if you drive the H onto the ground, if you did so in a no wind condition and provided no lateral control input, the H would bounce a couple of times but go nowhere as long as the throttle stick was held down. Those foam gear bumpers are only there to prevent chipping of the carbon fiber tubes. They provide very little shock absorption for a landing.

Jules perfectly demonstrated what can happen if you don't provide the correct control inputs when landing in wind. It's why I suggest people always land with the nose of the aircraft pointed into the wind, and as RayRay has pointed out, with the operator standing at the rear of the aircraft. The reason for this is for most it is much easier to deal with the pitch axis singularly than combined with the roll and/or yaw axis when they need to make small but rapid control inputs. They haven't yet developed the skill to mentally coordinate what they are seeing at the aircraft and translate that to a nearly automatic reaction of control inputs for all three control axis at the same time. They are still thinking about what they are seeing instead of acting on what they are seeing. Most are still reacting after something has happened instead of being ahead of the aircraft to prevent something from happening. It takes time and practice. A LOT of time and practice. Something else to consider is where the stick neutrals are. When you push or pull to extreme travels with throttle and pitch, have you done so keeping the sticks in the center position and not slightly to one side? Your thumb will always follow and arc when moved from top to bottom unless you consciously make an effort to not do so. If you are holding the throttle and pitch stick back and unknowingly applying yaw and roll, guess what the H is going to try to do? Yep, it will lean in the direction of the command(s) and you can most certainly roll it over. Watch the bottom of the gear as they touch down. if they are rotating in any amount you are the one making that happen and a tip over is about to happen.

Back to Jules' example of landing in a windy condition. With the nose pointed into the wind the operator can apply just a little forward stick to counter the rearwards drift that will always occur when the gear touches the ground. The wind is trying to blow the aircraft in the direction the wind is flowing and the H cannot offset that drift once the gear are in contact with the ground. The operator has to handle that and to do so requires just a slight tilt into the wind to stop the drift. That means the gear will touch the ground first with the front of the legs and settle back on the rest of the legs as the operator simultaneously reduces throttle and neutralizes the pitch. It's called coordination, and understanding the factors involved with flight. Some have it, some understand, but a lot don't. You can't expect to be making great landings until you develop it. Once you understand and have the coordination you'll be able to land most anywhere there's enough space to land and you won't have any concerns about dealing with a little slope of 20* or less. You won't have any problems landing in the wind, because you'll understand what your aircraft has to deal with and provide the correct control inputs in advance and continuously to prevent blow overs. You'll understand that for a landing to remain stationary it needs to start out that way. If it doesn't you will be playing catch up with corrective control inputs that you may not be prepared for.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
It would be nice if there was a sensor on the gear to alert the H that it has hit something. That said, I wish I could close this thread. The issue is resolved now.

For you it is but it's clear others haven't put it together yet. Glad to hear you are doing better.

Reactions: Texy
Hi!

Here is my example of correct landings. No wind this time. Only small sticks movements.
I don't have to put throttle all the way down before touchdown, motors goes idle, after seconds(in this video I am showing throttle down).
Latest firmware(1.35)(E) if You descend at full throttle down, H will slow down at 10m and after 5m more slower.

Best regards

Last edited:
Hi!

Here is my example of correct landings. No wind this time. Only small sticks movements.
I don't have to put throttle all the way down before touchdown, motors goes idle, after seconds(in this video I am showing throttle down).
Latest firmware(1.35)(E) if You descend at full throttle down, H will slow down at 10m and after 5m more slower.

Best regards
Great vid Paranull - Thanx!

Hi!

Here is my example of correct landings. No wind this time.

Best regards

I agree. Very nice video....and posted in very helpful, teaching manner. I've never seen the start/stop pumping method. Would there be any times that one method would be preferable over another or is it just preference?

Okay, so I decided to go ahead and spend my saturday creating this new video for you all, with all my heart.

As it has been mentioned before, watching video footage of said incidents would clear a lot of things up. But most of the time we have to rely on the "I did nothing wrong, the H crashed itself" description.

Im deeply sorry if some of you find it "offensive" when some one tells you you might be causing your own problems. I believe this particular problem (tipping over) most definitely has to do with the way the H works, and the lack of familiarity, which might catch us off-guard.

As I see it, the way the H is programmed, pulling the left stick all the way down does not guarantee motor idling if landing wasn't performed correctly. Solely relying on the left stick all the way down is not enough, you must perform corrective actions to prevent the aircraft tipping over (if such scenario happens). Obviously the best approach is to practice appropriate landing.

You don't need surgeon precision during landing, but you must be aware that bouncing your aircraft on the ground is Not the appropriate way to land. I've seen a few videos around youtube of people who definitely just smack the aircraft as they land, and I even remember people complaining around the forum (a long time ago) that they were tired of "the flimsy" landing gear breaking when they landed!

Anyway, I hope this video explains my idea better and helps you with your issues. I'd love to know if you agree or disagree with me,

Greetings!

Lol! The video of the drone bouncing cracked me up! That was a fine example of someone just trying to use sheer will to land.

It would be nice if there was a sensor on the gear to alert the H that it has hit something. That said, I wish I could close this thread. The issue is resolved now.

A WOW (weight on wheels) switch would be an interesting addition. I do agree that practice, time, and care will solve most if not all of these problems. The exception being high winds possibly. Even that can be handled with experience and slow methodical control inputs.

I agree. Very nice video....and posted in very helpful, teaching manner. I've never seen the start/stop pumping method. Would there be any times that one method would be preferable over another or is it just preference?

Using this method is the last thing I would ever recommend, I'm totally opposed to it. It won't be long before someone posts they crashed their H after the motors stopped with the bird in the air using the start/stop button to help them descend. They will say they were only following the instructions they read on the internet. That some were using this method as a means to control their landings in the early days of the H, and crashed them in the process, only reinforces my concern. Then we have the condition where some will stop the motors just above the ground and drop the H to an arrival instead of a landing. It will only require one time to break the landing gear latch dogs and we'll be reading about "weak" or "defective" landing gear, blaming Yuneec for a bad design.

It's exactly the same situation seen in fixed wing RC where new people complain of breaking props because their landing gear failed. In landing badly they rip the landing gear off the bottom of the plane on plant the thing so hard on the runway the gear collapses, flattening out so much the props hit the ground. Virtually all of those people blame the aircraft, the landing gear, the wind, or the runway for their problem. With time and experience those issues magically disappear without changing anything on the airplane, runway, or weather. They finally learned how to land.

Went out back with a quick set up and shot a much too long, very long winded video of a bunch of landings and a roll over. Yep, I did break the tip off the right rear prop, which means all the profit for the year just went out the window;) No, I didn't edit the video for color or light, but did chop almost 2 minutes off the front end.

Note the landing zone is on a slight slope, and not all that smooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge