Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is discharging at 5A fast and safe?

Reaction score
From what i understand after reading the lipo bible, its safe to charge at 1C therefore also to discharge at same current draw.
So if i get a charger that can charge 4 H batteries (nominal 5400mah) at 5A and also discharge at 5A draw, that would be almost the perfect charger for the H batteries as it should be pretty fast at achieving charge & discharge, is this correct?
Cheers!

In using the Hitec series of chargers, as well as the DY3 chargers... I can tell you that the time to storage discharge is considerably longer than charging up from a storage level. Just for the purposes of saving time, I have learned to fly my batteries down to 14.6-14.7V showing on the ST-16. Doing this allows me to storage discharge in under 30 minutes, consistently.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Reason i ask is i want to be able to charge my batteries ready for flight inside a metal box with battery temperature cutoff as i dont have time to sit around waiting whilst charging.
However, if weather changes which it does very frequently and fast here in the isle of man especially this time of year, i want to be able to discharge them same way as fast as possible.

While you do not have to sit and watch the charging process, it is not recommended to leave the batteries unattended, while you leave the house to run errands, or such.

5A, or in this case just a little less than 1C for the labelled capacity, is quite safe. The discharge rate in flight is higher. So 1C will always work for discharging.

Note, if your charger has settings for Discharge and Storage, always use the storage setting when discharging. Storage balances the cells, Discharge pulls the battery down until the first cell achieves the programmed voltage. The cell balancing process is why Storage discharging, and charging, takes longer.

Reactions: hueman
5A, or in this case just a little less than 1C for the labelled capacity, is quite safe. The discharge rate in flight is higher. So 1C will always work for discharging.

Note, if your charger has settings for Discharge and Storage, always use the storage setting when discharging. Storage balances the cells, Discharge pulls the battery down until the first cell achieves the programmed voltage. The cell balancing process is why Storage discharging, and charging, takes longer.

Thanks. The charger im looking at is this one: EV-PEAK CQ3 - EV-PEAK CQ3 | EV

I need it to charge/discharge 4 batteries and mostly off DC as I'm mobile. This one seems perfect but wanted to make sure im getting it right.
Been looking at sooo many chargers but ev-peak seem to be genuine (not rebranded) and have a good name.
Thanks!

While you do not have to sit and watch the charging process, it is not recommended to leave the batteries unattended, while you leave the house to run errands, or such.
Even if they are secured inside a metal container with air holes as well as temperature sensors on each battery for charge/discharge cutoff?

Even if they are secured inside a metal container with air holes as well as temperature sensors on each battery for charge/discharge cutoff?

Surviving Virginity - Condom Use!

Everyone has a different level of comfort, in regards to the the degree of safeguards in put in place to address the potential risks to one's surroundings when you are doing something active with LiPos.

They are likely not going to exhibit issues, while simply sitting around. However that is not the case when they are being actively charged or discharged. Considering how concerned you became in other threads about potential LiPo dangers... this is one factor that is most easily controlled.

Nothing made by Hitec is ever re-branded. Hitec is a creator, one of the brands others copy.

Nothing made by Hitec is ever re-branded. Hitec is a creator, one of the brands others copy.

I know, but im in the UK and unfortunately the hitec aren't available here except apparently as rebranded versions called SkyRC of which ive come across some negative reviews, so i wonder if theyre not actually cheap copies rather than rebrands.
To get a hitec from the states blows my budget cause of the import tax and shipping costs :(

The Yuneec dual battery charger, I believe it’s named A2 or A10, is a rebranded Hitec charger and of very good quality. The DC requirement is a problem though.

I have used a PC "true" 1000 watt or larger PSU as I have some large LiPo batteries (20k) to charge at 1c or close to it.

Lower power PSU's from a retired PC work fine for smaller LiPo's like the Yuneec products.

For the charger I use i-Chargers. Going on 5 years with the the 308B.

Anyone interesting in DIY psu do a search on YouTube for "convert pc psu for lipo charger". It doesn't need to be made fancy, but can be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro