Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Danger of Lipos and the crappy supplied charger

Reaction score
After just reading this article - LiPo battery care - on the LIPO batteries for the Typhoon H, I realise I've been literally sitting on live grenades that could have potentially gone off at any time and ruined my van and even me!

How can they sell a drone with all its peripherals without including a charger that can discharge to storage level and clearer more prominent information about storage charge and the dangers of these batteries?

Sorry to rant but i find it appauling that there is such minimal documentation included in the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: biltno
page 4 instruction manual

WARNING: All instructions and
warnings must be followed exactly
to prevent property damage and/or
serious injury as the mishandling of
Li-ion/LiPo batteries can result in
fire.

Reactions: AJan
page 4 instruction manual

WARNING: All instructions and
warnings must be followed exactly
to prevent property damage and/or
serious injury as the mishandling of
Li-ion/LiPo batteries can result in
fire.
Yes but it doesn't include all the specific instructions that it should!

Yes but it doesn't include all the specific instructions that it should!
also a warning on the battery as well
and full instructions on page 26 as follows

LIPO BATTERY WARNINGS AND USAGE GUIDELINES
WARNING: Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries are significantly more volatile than alkaline, NiCd or NiMH batteries. All instructions and warnings must be
followed exactly to prevent property damage and/or serious injury as the mishandling of LiPo batteries can result in fire. By handling, charging or using the
included LiPo battery you assume all risks associated with LiPo batteries. If you do not agree with these conditions please return the complete product in
new, unused condition to the place of purchase immediately.
• You must always charge the LiPo battery in a safe, well-ventilated area away from flammable materials.
• Never charge the LiPo battery unattended at any time. When charging the battery you must always remain in constant observation to monitor the charging
process and react immediately to any potential problems that may occur.
• After flying/discharging the LiPo battery you must allow it to cool to ambient/room temperature before recharging.
• To charge the LiPo battery you must use only the included charger or a suitably compatible LiPo battery charger. Failure to do so may result in a fire causing
property damage and/or serious injury.
• If at any time the LiPo battery begins to balloon or swell, discontinue charging or discharging immediately. Quickly and safely disconnect the battery, then
place it in a safe, open area away from flammable materials to observe it for at least 15 minutes. Continuing to charge or discharge a battery that has begun
to balloon or swell can result in a fire. A battery that has ballooned or swollen even a small amount must be removed from service completely.
• Do not over-discharge the LiPo battery. Discharging the battery too low can cause damage to the battery resulting in
reduced power, flight duration or failure of the battery entirely. LiPo cells should not be discharged to below 3.0V each under load.
• Store the LiPo battery at room temperature and in a dry area for best results.
• When charging, transporting or temporarily storing the LiPo battery the temperature range should be from approximately 40–120° F (5–49° C). Do not
store the battery or aircraft in a hot garage, car or direct sunlight. If stored in a hot garage or car the battery can be damaged or even catch fire.
• Never leave batteries, chargers and power supplies unattended during use.
• Never attempt to charge low voltage, ballooned/swollen, damaged or wet batteries.
• Never allow children under 14 years of age to charge batteries.
• Never charge a battery if any of the wire leads have been damaged or shorted.
• Never attempt to disassemble the battery, charger or power supply.
• Never drop batteries, chargers or power supplies.
• Always inspect the battery, charger and power supply before charging.
• Always ensure correct polarity before connecting batteries, chargers and power supplies.
• Always disconnect the battery after charging.
• Always terminate all processes if the battery, charger or power supply malfunctions.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It’s safer and better for the longevity of the battery to store it only partially charged for any length of time. Storing the battery
approximately 50% charged is typically best, however, it will take some careful management of the charge time and the use of a volt meter to achieve this
voltage. If you have the equipment and skills to achieve the 50% charge level for storage it is recommended. If not, simply be sure to not store the battery
fully charged whenever possible.
In fact, as long as the battery will be stored at approximately room temperature and for no more than a few weeks before the next use, it may be best to
store the battery in the discharged state after the last flight (as long as the battery was not over-discharged on the last flight).

@hueman I understand your frustration but take a breath and think about this for a minute. When you buy a car they don't tell you how to operate a fuel pump at a gas station, they mention nothing about the tools needed to do specific maintenance - but more importantly - they don't even mention how to drive a car! All that goes into owning and operating a car is partially assumed by the manufacturer of the car to have been learned by the customer.

If there is anything I really blame the manufacturers of modern 'Drones' for is; that they market them as these care free, easy to use, harmless little toys and many people follow into this hobby/craft/business with these ideals in mind (not saying this is you). Many of the members of this forum have spent decades in the UAV arena and can testify to the fact that, those who come into this hobby prepared to learn and expect to have hurdles will be miles ahead in the end.

Flying a modern drone is not rocket science but it is not the same as operating a child's toy either. Depending on the level one wishes to take their craft, it lies somewhere in between. One look into what it takes to get a 107 will provide the clue as to how serious the FAA takes the flying of these things.

The good news is you are here now and there is no better place to begin to get the right information about these things.

I have a q500 and an H
Both instructions or “guides” mention in full detail battery usage and care

Reactions: brwatters
One more thing ;) the article you reference is a good one and is not to be taken lightly but understand that it is written from the same kind of viewpoint that causes a ladder manufacturer to have thirteen different warnings on six foot step latter. For instance: Explosion proof charge bags. Are they a good idea? Necessary? Or are they a preventative measure against a failure on the part of the operator to set the correct charge settings before hooking up the battery in the first place? Or maybe a faulty battery? All of the above.

The truth is; the care and maintenance of LiPos is to flying a modern UAV what pumping gas, changing oil and keeping the tire pressure correct is to owning a car. Its just part of it.

One more thing ;) the article you reference is a good one and is not to be taken lightly but understand that it is written from the same kind of viewpoint that causes a ladder manufacturer to have thirteen different warnings on six foot step latter. For instance: Explosion proof charge bags. Are they a good idea? Necessary? Or are they a preventative measure against a failure on the part of the operator to set the correct charge settings before hooking up the battery in the first place? Or maybe a faulty battery? All of the above.

The truth is; the care and maintenance of LiPos is to flying a modern UAV what pumping gas, changing oil and keeping the tire pressure correct is to owning a car. Its just part of it.
I couldn’t agree more and I’m sure if the percentages were looked into most Lipo fires result from chargers or trying to keep the battery past it’s normal life. Yuneec’s chargers aren’t the best out there but with a little math and common sense you can get by. Just stop your flight near the storage voltage. And you will Get the maximum out of the battery

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I work in the automotive industry and very few manufacturers put the best battery and even tires money can buy but they supply you with a decent start

Just think that Yuneec's very loose instructions regarding storage voltage are way insufficient:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: It’s safer and better for the longevity of the battery to store it only partially charged for any length of time. Storing the battery
approximately 50% charged is typically best, however, it will take some careful management of the charge time and the use of a volt meter to achieve this
voltage. If you have the equipment and skills to achieve the 50% charge level for storage it is recommended. If not, simply be sure to not store the battery
fully charged whenever possible.
In fact, as long as the battery will be stored at approximately room temperature and for no more than a few weeks before the next use, it may be best to
store the battery in the discharged state after the last flight (as long as the battery was not over-discharged on the last flight). "

LOL

" no more than a few weeks " ?!

There are several good posts by rdonson and PatR and I’m sure others about battery’s chargers and care. I found it interesting

It is most realistic to consider the Yuneec manual to be the equivalent of grade school... and this board to be equivalent to college - minus the frat parties. :eek:

I see it as failure to perform due diligence. You don’t jump off a ship into the ocean without first learning how to swim, unless the plan is to commit suicide.

Electric model aviation has been around since Bob Bouchet started experimenting with it in the ‘70’s, and lipo batteries have been in use with model aircraft since the late ‘90’s or early 2000’s. I started using them for model aviation ignition systems in 2002. Hundreds, if not thousands of articles have been written between then and now extolling the virtues and dangers associated with lithium chemistry batteries, along with how to care for them, and to not know anything about them now would suggest people have lived off the grid as hermits in caves or were too lazy to bother learning about them.

IMO, knowledge issues concerning lipo battery care and use is not a manufacturer problem, but a personal one. A basic internet search for lipo battery info would provide reams of search results. Even this site is loaded with battery educational info for any that elects to perform the most simple search. In fact, a thread pertaining to lipo battery care is permanently attached as a sticky at the top of the H help forum page. That’s pretty much the case at every RC modeling forum. Knowledge is power, and reading provides the knowledge needed to make safe and effective use of high energy density battery power.

considering you had not read the manual and was given a h perhaps you should complain to the person who gave you the h in the first place for not telling you about the batteries
only saying that due to the heading of this post ( VERY angry with YUNEEC! ) and don`t really mean it more interested in whether or not you have flown it yet.
I still cant believe how quite it is compared to other manufacturers and the stability is awesome

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dandts