Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Large Drone Used by Electric Company

Reaction score
Hello All...
On my way to work this morning I spotted an interesting drone...
Flying over a electrical power grid station I spotted what I thought was a Typhoon H.
Legs Up and saw the camera rotating.
I turned around and pulled into the road to the station and watched the drone flying over the wires and banks of transformers in the fenced in area.
I then noticed two men in hard hats and neon vests watching the drone.
I walked over to them and watched them pilot the drone and saw they each had a DJI controller
with large Ipads.

They then landed the largest drone I have ever seen!
It was like a Typhoon H that was triple in size to the H.
On the ground it came up to just above one of the men's knees.
The gimble below it had two large format camera attached, side by side.
On the top of the drone it had two large antennas, one straight and one domed.
It also had two straight antennas sticking out the bottom, one on each side.
The props looked to be about 12 inches long and the wing span looked to be 5-6 feet across.
I wish I hadn't left my camera in the car so I could take a photo of the thing !

I talked to the men for a couple of minutes and they told me the where doing inspection work for the electrical company and the cameras where Video and thermal, and the range of the drone was over three miles and they used it for power line inspections and tower inspections.
They also said that the flight time was about one hour !
I also noticed that the drone was surprisingly quiet for such a large drone.

Would anyone have any Idea what brand of drone this could have been?
I looked on the DJI and Yuneec websites and did not see anything they had this big !
Thanks !

unsure on the brand but if you google image for movie company drones, you will see all kinds of large drones they use

dji-s1000-review.jpg
This looks like the one I saw except it had two motors on each arm. One above and one below, and it was anything but quiet. This one is a DJI.
It might have been custom build for the company. I have seen those too and the wife was with me. I watched the drone intently like a cat getting ready to pounce on a bird. The wife was talking but I did not hear what she was saying. She finally got my attention when she gave me a gentle shove and the word "NO!" was heard without question. I said I was just looking. She said,"Yeah, Riiight." The sarcasm was unmistakable.

Last edited:
Reactions: AS apex
That's the beast for sure! I can still hear that word "NO!" ringing in my ears.

I know it's not a hexacopter but I would almost bet the one you saw was from Home - VulcanUAV possibly the Raven or custom varient. They do line inspection.
Raven-RED-1-570x300-c-default.jpeg

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Better than a frying pan ringing on your head. Lol
She has two frying pans linked together at the handles and she works them like Nunchaku!
It's truly terrifying to hear those cast iron skillets cutting through the air at high speed.

I know it's not a hexacopter but I would almost bet the one you saw was from Home - VulcanUAV possibly the Raven or custom varient. They do line inspection.
It's a shame that they are located in the UK. I would try to get a job with them if USA based.

Alex runs pretty much a one man operation. His U.S. dealer is in Arizona, Addictive RC. I built one of his first folding frames three years ago, a 1200mm quad. It's still going. Nice frames!

Reactions: ThunderChicken
If I don't sign back in for a couple of weeks call the frying pan abuse hotline and see if any frying pans have been abused in KY.

Reactions: AS apex
qwhuntoon...
Close likeness but I am sure that it only had one prop on each arm..
They are doing a lot of line inspections in the area and I have been driving around to try and find them again and get a photo

View attachment 6041
This looks like the one I saw except it had two motors on each arm. One above and one below, and it was anything but quiet. This one is a DJI.
It might have been custom build for the company. I have seen those too and the wife was with me. I watched the drone intently like a cat getting ready to pounce on a bird. The wife was talking but I did not hear what she was saying. She finally got my attention when she gave me a gentle shove and the word "NO!" was heard without question. I said I was just looking. She said,"Yeah, Riiight." The sarcasm was unmistakable.

Thunderchicken...
You may be right...
I know the controllers where DJI
and here is a photo close to what I saw
DJI Matrice M600 Industrial Hexcopter
The dome on top was a little bit larger and it had two cameras below
DJI_M600_c_02.jpg

This the one I saw.
xFold™ Dragon x12 RTF
DJI NAZA Flight Control System

Needs two operators. One for the cameras(2) and one for the Multi-Rotor.

I wonder if I can get them to throw in some Armor and a witness protection package !?

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Brooks
This the one I saw.
xFold™ Dragon x12 RTF
DJI NAZA Flight Control System

Needs two operators. One for the cameras(2) and one for the Multi-Rotor.

I wonder if I can get them to throw in some Armor and a witness protection package !?
You can build this bird from scratch for about $12K. It will lift 110lbs as configured more with some upgrades.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal