Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New camera - CGOET is coming soon... RGB low light & infrared cam

A bit off subject, but has anyone tried the cgo3+ camera lens mod from Carolina Dronz? Much higher resolution, I'm not a camera expert but I guess it's supposed to be 16 megapixels from what I understand. Here is a shot after the camera mod for one of my clients (yes, Photoshopped for color but the resolution is awesome)[/QUOTE

Wes, when referring to the resolution of a lens it is not referring to pixels produced but rather the resolving power of the lens, in other words if your camera produces a 12 megapixel file you would want a lens with a resolving power of 12 megapixels...if your camera's sensor is 16 megapixels then you would want to have a lens which has a resolving power of 16 megapixels...the lens cannot change the resolution of the sensor. So when you see a lens advertised as 16 megapixels it is informing you of it's resolving power.

Definitely seems like this will be good to use for search and rescue crews in mountainous and wooded areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely seems like this will be good to use for search and rescue crews in mountainous and wooded areas.
I think the low resolution of the camera is going to be an issue.

In SAR scenarios where a person is missing in the wild, they are often down and obscured from view, either by accident or by choice (seeking shelter). In order to search a large area quickly for the heat signature of a person, you'd have to fly pretty high, and in that case the person could be just a pixel or two that could be interpreted as noise.

The CGOET is better than not having a IR camera, but I think the expectations need to be realistic.

Reactions: Rayray
I think the low resolution of the camera is going to be an issue.

In SAR scenarios where a person is missing in the wild, they are often down and obscured from view, either by accident or by choice (seeking shelter). In order to search a large area quickly for the heat signature of a person, you'd have to fly pretty high, and in that case the person could be just a pixel or two that could be interpreted as noise.

The CGOET is better than not having a IR camera, but I think the expectations need to be realistic.

The further away you are, the harder it is to pick up small heat signals. I imagine the resolution of the camera is chosen with that in mind. Typically, rather than flying high and trying to spot something from a long way away, I guess the strategy would be to fly a grid over the area and look close. That also avoids the problem that when you're high you cannot see under trees and other overhanging objects.

Reactions: Rayray and abinder
Last edited:
$4,400 expensive piece of kit.

Very expensive but Yuneec like everyone knows Government agencies likely will budget for this tech, and like with any Government agency their budgets are large and their checks cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see those cameras will have a considerably reduced field of view over current camera, this of course means less distortion and the ability to fly further away from objects in the scene and still get good detail.

Mickey,

In this price range field of view and good resolution are not synonymous. Most of the thermal cameras that are somewhat affordable for small multirotors right now have terrible resolution. They are in essence 12 year old technology that were eliminated from military service because the image quality was terrible unless the lens was only 10's of feet from the target. Image quality is realistically down in the 240 range. The selling price of this is marked up ~ 2-1/2 times what it is worth.

My point is not to get real excited about thermal imagery unless willing to spend several thousand $$ more on a current technology camera. We will be seeing many complaints about image clarity as these small and relatively cheap cameras get into the hands of users. What we are seeing here is orders of magnitude below what is currently being used by governments and police departments. Private industry equipment is vastly superior to this as well.

Reactions: DerStig
My point is not to get real excited about thermal imagery unless willing to spend several thousand $$ more on a current technology camera. We will be seeing many complaints about image clarity as these small and relatively cheap cameras get into the hands of users. What we are seeing here is orders of magnitude below what is currently being used by governments and police departments. Private industry equipment is vastly superior to this as well.

I'd wait till you've tried one before you make assumptions about it's quality. Yuneec are not making this to sell to consumers, but for governments and police departments - the price reflects that and I would guess the quality will be aimed at that market. No-one is going to sign off on a $$ drone if it doesn't do what they need.

Mickey,

In this price range field of view and good resolution are not synonymous. Most of the thermal cameras that are somewhat affordable for small multirotors right now have terrible resolution. They are in essence 12 year old technology that were eliminated from military service because the image quality was terrible unless the lens was only 10's of feet from the target. Image quality is realistically down in the 240 range. The selling price of this is marked up ~ 2-1/2 times what it is worth.

anywhere there (yuneec) is not a written resolution for thermal part (optics) probably is same poor like on FLIR E8 where max is 320x240 (£3,920.40) specs for E8 here FLIR E8 Thermal Imaging Camera

Pat I agree completely, I personally have no use for thermal but many friends in agriculture do. I was really remarking just about Yuneec's recognition that the field of view of their H camera is too wide as it stands now and I was happy to see that was going to be reduced a bit. The other thing I was curious about is that they will now have time release on that new camera, I hope but I do not expect that feature to be passed on to existing Pro or H users. It's really needed for good 3d topographic mapping and other things which would be handier for me than thermal imaging...as far as resolution everyone at this price level seems looked in to Sony sensors with 12 megapixels...I hear the Autel yields better results but when I asked someone who owns one what the specs were he never replied it also has only 12 megapixel sensor...I've got to say the new feature on the H with allows you to use the four directional pad which when we first bought ours had no function is really fantastic..I've been using that the last few days and it gives you the opportunity for some really smooth video with one hand operation.

Last edited:
Mickey,

I tend to agree.

For the people that think this new Yuneec camera targets military/government/police work, think again. Some of us are very cognizant of current technology being used in these areas and unless the Yuneec cameras will provide the ability to differentiate between a rifle and a broomstick with a 10000' standoff it won't cut it. If it can't reveal thermal loss due to the wind being deflected around a fixed object it won't even be close. I won't mention the ability of the camera to accurately read human heat signatures through the walls of a building.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerStig
Mickey,

I tend to agree.

For the people that think this new Yuneec camera is targets military/government/police work, think again.

BUT it's a thermal camera made by yuneec and they say it's "Pro"

For the people that think this new Yuneec camera targets military/government/police work, think again..

For sure, military is an entirely different thing. If you think Yuneec are trying to sell a $3000 thermal camera to hobbyists, you must know some pretty strange hobbyists :)

Reactions: chiloschista

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss