Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Time-Lapse Film I finished up - Maryland 2018

Reaction score
So I shoot storm time-lapses as a hobby (Still photos not video). One of the reasons I bought my H Plus(s) is to bring it to a new level. I incorporated one of my attempts at a drone time-lapse shot into this short film and it can be seen in the 3rd scene in featuring a rotating super cell storm moving over a farm area. Hope you enjoy it!

*I fixed the shaking as much as possible but still working to stabilize the video better in Adobe After Effects as I'm still figuring out the tracking feature.

As a true time lapse you have nothing to apologize for... very nice! So that was about 5 seconds... over what period of "real" time? What rate did you shoot - 1 photo per second... so the whole sequence was about 150 photos?

Reactions: JackMTaco
As a true time lapse you have nothing to apologize for... very nice! So that was about 5 seconds... over what period of "real" time? What rate did you shoot - 1 photo per second... so the whole sequence was about 150 photos?

Thank you Eagle! I probably should have added the statement that while I shoot stills for my storm time lapse with my Canon and Nikon, the drone time-lapse was in fact video sped up. That was 15 minutes of video speed up 1500%. Manual on the settings for shutter speed. Until they release an update for the H+ were we can adjust the time-lapse interval lower than 5 seconds. I'll have to keep shooting video for those time-lapses. 5 seconds is just too far of a spread between shots to get the much needed fluidity when it comes to clouds/fast moving storms.

The shots of the other storms in the film are usually shot between 1 to 3 second intervals and average around 5-800 shots for a scene except for the night time storm that took about 1300 photos.

Last edited:
I love any of the techniques that enable time contraction or expansion... time lapses, time exposures... gives a real sense of the latin root for photography... truly painting with light.

I love any of the techniques that enable time contraction or expansion... time lapses, time exposures... gives a real sense of the latin root for photography... truly painting with light.

Thanks! It's amazing what you get to see with storms/clouds when they are time-lapsed. Gives a real appreciation for what really happens above us. I have other films I made that can be seen on Vimeo on my profile page.

The link is here.

Edited*** The forum won't allow the link to work for some reason. I've posted the other films below.

Last edited:
Very Nice Jack. Well done. I too am hoping they can get the interval a little faster for time lapse. I would love to see if I could do a nice sunset with DNG batch edited for maximum effect. That rain scene where it was coming over the mountain was shot with the Typhoon? Looked very nice and flowed with the rest of the footage nicely. BTW, now that the holidays are over we need to get together and do some flying.

Very Nice Jack. Well done. I too am hoping they can get the interval a little faster for time lapse. I would love to see if I could do a nice sunset with DNG batch edited for maximum effect. That rain scene where it was coming over the mountain was shot with the Typhoon? Looked very nice and flowed with the rest of the footage nicely. BTW, now that the holidays are over we need to get together and do some flying.

Thank you Ty! The only drone shot is the 3rd scene in. Everything else was shot in RAW on my Canon and Nikon. I too hope for an update so the interval can be adjusted quicker for that very reason. The good thing is at least the C23 shoots at 100Mbs which allows for quite a bit of adjustments in video editing but in the end, it is still video and not DNG's like I want it to be. RAW allows so much more processing.

Just finished up charging the batteries up for the frontal driven storms that are going to push in after 5 for us. Hoping to get something soon but looking at the forecast models, it doesn't look hopeful. We definitely need to meet up soon! I'll let you know my availability once we are more settled in to our house here in Deltona.

Reactions: LinsonW
WOW! I just watched all 4 of those videos. They're all great, but this one is spectacular. It definitely told a story. I would love to dabble into something like that. I have a Canon DSLR. You might have inspired me to try it out.

By the way Jack, are you using motorized slide or is the movement in the shots from the ground from just moving the larger image across the screen? Either way it adds just the right amount of movement.

WOW! I just watched all 4 of those videos. They're all great, but this one is spectacular. It definitely told a story. I would love to dabble into something like that. I have a Canon DSLR. You might have inspired me to try it out.

Thank you Turbo! The original film in 4K can be found below. Also has credits at the end with some info on the whole time-lapse film.

Let me know if you need any help if you get started on making some!

By the way Jack, are you using motorized slide or is the movement in the shots from the ground from just moving the larger image across the screen? Either way it adds just the right amount of movement.

It's done in post processing. I wish I had time to set up a slider when chasing storms but they are just too clunky and not very easy to setup on the fly when I get out in front of a storm. Is something I plan on purchasing though for other time-lapses I plan on working on in the coming months.

Very cool, Jack!

Thanks for sharing. I think you just inspired at least a few curmudgeons to try something new, or get back to something tried and forgotten.

Great work!

Jeff

Glad I could. A guy I look up to with his storm time-lapses is the reasons I even started in doing them. I still have a lot to learn but it gets better with every shot I take.

hi, folks
It's a good feature i'm also very interested. Would you please give some help for below?
1. what's the good forward ratios? 15x, 30x, 60x or all of them?
2. It's convient to generate it in AE? JPG or DNG? i think drone camera is not good to take DNG interval per 1s, at least is 2s
3. i think can get stable video in cruise mode. maybe there is video shake for long time hover about 5m to get several secs video.
4. any more?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

hi, folks
It's a good feature i'm also very interested. Would you please give some help for below?
1. what's the good forward ratios? 15x, 30x, 60x or all of them?
2. It's convient to generate it in AE? JPG or DNG? i think drone camera is not good to take DNG interval per 1s, at least is 2s
3. i think can get stable video in cruise mode. maybe there is video shake for long time hover about 5m to get several secs video.
4. any more?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheat a timelapse. Record it is 60fps, convert the video frame in jpeg, set the time interval that you want, with a converter of your choice (there are lots of software online) edit each photos (I use LR Lightroom, so I can batch process) and I use FCPX for my video rendering.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig