Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Ortho-Mosaic Software

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for an orhto-mosaic software for the Typhoon H, does anyone know of any programs or software that is compatible with the H?

I should specify a bit, but it is mostly to take pictures that would be later stitched together
I believe most people are using UAV Toolbox and DataPilot to accomplish that. Perhaps I'm not understanding your requirements.

Launch,

Sounds like you are asking a couple different things here.

1) To capture a series of images, one can use the UAV Toolbox to manually create a flight path for the H to follow. Using time lapse for the camera trigger will get you where you want to go, or close to it, with respect to the images.

2) to stitch them together - that is not a function of the H. We need to ingest the images into an editor to put them all together. Doing a search on 'stitching images' might give you some choices. (Been discussed in this forum so not repeating.)

What I will offer for those looking to expand their knowledge, check out this comparison discussion between photo stitching and orthomosaic (orthorectification). There is a BIG difference!

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Launch,

Sounds like you are asking a couple different things here.

1) To capture a series of images, one can use the UAV Toolbox to manually create a flight path for the H to follow. Using time lapse for the camera trigger will get you where you want to go, or close to it, with respect to the images.

2) to stitch them together - that is not a function of the H. We need to ingest the images into an editor to put them all together. Doing a search on 'stitching images' might give you some choices. (Been discussed in this forum so not repeating.)

What I will offer for those looking to expand their knowledge, check out this comparison discussion between photo stitching and orthomosaic (orthorectification). There is a BIG difference!

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff
I'm not worried about the stitching aspect, I need the app/software that allows me to time the shots automatically like some programs that are available on the dji.

Thanks, Jeff
I'm not worried about the stitching aspect, I need the app/software that allows me to time the shots automatically like some programs that are available on the dji.

Curved Cable Cam whether flown and recorded, or created via UAV Toolbox (to name one) will get your craft moving. Setting the camera to timelapse, 1 second intervals, will take care of the image capture. Adjusting the speed (tapping the throttle) can get your the lateral speed you need. Top end is typically 11mph when running CCC.

I have had success using the above techniques. Nothing scientific, but did get a nice mosaic using ICE to stitch.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: LaunchPad
Curved Cable Cam whether flown and recorded, or created via UAV Toolbox (to name on) will get your craft moving. Setting the camera to timelapse, 1 second intervals, will take care of the image capture. Adjusting the speed (tapping the throttle) can get your the lateral speed you need. Top end is typically 11mph when running CCC.

I have had success using the above techniques. Nothing scientific, but did get a nice mosaic using ICE to stitch.

Jeff
ok cool, I'll have to definitely check that out

Curved Cable Cam whether flown and recorded, or created via UAV Toolbox (to name one) will get your craft moving. Setting the camera to timelapse, 1 second intervals, will take care of the image capture. Adjusting the speed (tapping the throttle) can get your the lateral speed you need. Top end is typically 11mph when running CCC.

Jeff

Isn’t ICE only for stationary objects? It’s stiches, but no orthorectification...

Isn’t ICE only for stationary objects? It’s stiches, but no orthorectification...

Correct. No correction was the reason for including “nothing scientific”. [emoji41]

To me, “mosaic” and “orthorectificaton” are independent terms. I put together a mosaic of images that were not ortho rectified.

Jeff

Yes, but my other point about ICE is that it is meant for panoramas- multiple pictures taken from a single, fixed point. Did you feed it pictures like that to stitch, or did you fly a pattern and give it those? I'm interested in the outcome. I downloaded it but didn't use it when I read it was meant for panoramas. I use GRASS to orthorectify.

Yes, but my other point about ICE is that it is meant for panoramas- multiple pictures taken from a single, fixed point. Did you feed it pictures like that to stitch, or did you fly a pattern and give it those? I'm interested in the outcome. I downloaded it but didn't use it when I read it was meant for panoramas. I use GRASS to orthorectify.

Hi Brahma,

I just tried ICE after PS didn’t really handle the 900 images I had my H take.

I used the UAV toolbox to manually create 3 legs of a pseudo grid flight path. ICE was able to stitch together the images, creating a nice composite image. Was not ortho-rectified, but turned out pretty **** close.

I am looking forward to duplicating the mission with my h520 and using ortho- rectification to compare. It is something I want to be able to offer, and thus am very interested in the trials and tribulations of our community, both to learn and to share.

Jeff

Hi Brahma,

I just tried ICE after PS didn’t really handle the 900 images I had my H take.

I used the UAV toolbox to manually create 3 legs of a pseudo grid flight path. ICE was able to stitch together the images, creating a nice composite image. Was not ortho-rectified, but turned out pretty **** close.

I am looking forward to duplicating the mission with my h520 and using ortho- rectification to compare. It is something I want to be able to offer, and thus am very interested in the trials and tribulations of our community, both to learn and to share.

Jeff

Ok so I normally fly manually, and I'm learning that I should transition towards using more automated flights and such, what is ICE I have UAV toolbox, after doing some digging for the photostitching/ortho for a job that is coming up, because I normally use the DJI that my company has for that, but I've been tasked to do it with the H.

ICE was really bad for me when stitching my H pano's.
Resulted in many more streets in the village, a church with two towers where there is only one etcetera.

ICE was really bad for me when stitching my H pano's.
Resulted in many more streets in the village, a church with two towers where there is only one etcetera.

Ya, seems hit or miss. Got lucky with some when PS failed; PS has ruled and ICE falters.

Looking to see what some “built for the task” apps will do in the next few weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pejo Tamas