Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Part 107 Drone License a good idea?

Reaction score
Just watched a video extolling the benefits of having a license. It suggested that one of the biggest benefits was being able to fly relatively close to airports with altitude limits. Flying close to airports at low altitudes might cause concerns to anyone that didn't fully understand the situation. It seems that with the current reports of illegal drone incursions along with this perception could easily lead to unwarranted blanket restrictions on all drone flying. It's not hard to imagine a politician making a talking point on how tough he'll be on this dastardly problem.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
For the time-being, about the only 'benefit' of the Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate is being able to fly your drones for hire or in your job. Otherwise, the Hobbyist certificate is fine for recreational flying. If you're wanting to fly drones for hire, that's a very big benefit.

All drones heavier than .55 pounds require either the pilot's recreational certificate number or a commercial registration number. Drones or other model aircraft heavier than 55 pounds require an airworthiness certificate similar to piloted aircraft.

You can get the hobbyist cert for $5 after checking off a list of safety regulations, download the certificate to print (I laminated mine) and carry with you. Put the registration # on any drones you fly off your property.

The Register your Drone link on this FAA page gets you to one of the registry sites: Getting Started

Later this year the list of safety regulations will be replaced by a tougher test, so it's easier to do now than it will be.

You didn't mention where you live, but in our fair city police, park officials, and an 85-year old RC pilot walking through a school yard where I practice have all asked to see my registration number. When I showed the park manager mine, plus a 3D map of his park done by DroneDeploy he gave me his card and asked me to call him when I got my 107 Cert and asked me to go practice at a new, 80+ acrer park way out of town being developed as a venue for large events and send him the video and maps.

So, for me, the 107 cert's a big benefit.

If you won't be flying for hire or your work the hobbyist cert is all you need. If you want to practice for the commercial certificate and get your website and portfolio together to sell services, you can do that with your hobbyist cert.

Drones, whether flown with a commercial or hobbyist cert should not just pop up in an airport's airspace. (I'd hate to be the guy zipping along in the neighborhood outside Teterboro's fence without a certificate.) The pilot gets clearance from the tower like any other aircraft, by phone if you don't have an aviation band transceiver. Parts of the FAA 107 cert are how to read a sectional chart to identify classes of airspace and radio procedures. We expect later this year the procedures will be streamlined so FAA 107 certificate holders can get clearance quickly without waiting for paperwork with the request to go thru. DJI and other manufacturers are cooperating with aviation officials so that a next generation of drones may be transponder equipped to facilitate identification of drones.

Of course, a goal of this is to identify the 'good' drones so any that pop up without clearance can be taken out of the sky. After Gatwick and Newark incursions the drone boards are full of tech like 3D shortware radars that can accurately detect drones, drones to hunt and take them out of the area, and a host of shoulder mounted drone killers to take them down.

I hope this helps?

Just watched a video extolling the benefits of having a license. It suggested that one of the biggest benefits was being able to fly relatively close to airports with altitude limits.

In the coming months as the new Section 349 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 is implemented by the FAA hobby flights will no longer be required to contact airports within 5 miles. You will be able to fly at 400 feet or less in Class G airspace without any contact or permission needed. You will need actual ATC permission to fly in the surface areas of Classes B, C, D, and E (surface portion)

Section 336 was repealed immediately upon signing of the above law. So in reality no such contact/notification requirement is in effect. But the FAA has said to continue on as before until they get the new laws written into the FARs.

After I hit "post" I noticed the post above mine!!

The reason I got into drones in the first place was because I wanted to take video of places I travel to and share them. I'm a Travel Agent and I wanted to post my videos on YouTube to entice others to travel to these locations and contact me to assist them.

I then found out that by posting these videos, it may be against FAA rules as a hobbyist. Since it is technically, "in furtherance of a business", I would need my Part 107 cert to be legal.

I saw the FAA materials to study for the 107 test and knew it would be tough for me to study. So, I bought into a course that laid it all out in video format. I took the test and passed last November and am still waiting for my official card. (I'm guessing the shutdown govt is slowing things up) In the meantime, they gave me a temp cert and I posted some video.

So, I don't chase after jobs with my drones, but getting the cert allows me to promote my business and keeps things legal. It also teaches you things you never even thought of while out flying. (and some stuff you'll never need to know)

For the time-being, about the only 'benefit' of the Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate is being able to fly your drones for hire or in your job. Otherwise, the Hobbyist certificate is fine for recreational flying. If you're wanting to fly drones for hire, that's a very big benefit.

All drones heavier than .55 pounds require either the pilot's recreational certificate number or a commercial registration number. Drones or other model aircraft heavier than 55 pounds require an airworthiness certificate similar to piloted aircraft.

You can get the hobbyist cert for $5 after checking off a list of safety regulations, download the certificate to print (I laminated mine) and carry with you. Put the registration # on any drones you fly off your property.

The Register your Drone link on this FAA page gets you to one of the registry sites: Getting Started

Later this year the list of safety regulations will be replaced by a tougher test, so it's easier to do now than it will be.

You didn't mention where you live, but in our fair city police, park officials, and an 85-year old RC pilot walking through a school yard where I practice have all asked to see my registration number. When I showed the park manager mine, plus a 3D map of his park done by DroneDeploy he gave me his card and asked me to call him when I got my 107 Cert and asked me to go practice at a new, 80+ acrer park way out of town being developed as a venue for large events and send him the video and maps.

If you won't be flying for hire or your work the hobbyist cert is all you need. If you want to practice for the commercial certificate and get your website and portfolio together to sell services, you can do that with your hobbyist cert.

Drones, whether flown with a commercial or hobbyist cert should not just pop up in an airport's airspace. (I'd hate to be the guy zipping along in the neighborhood outside Teterboro's fence without a certificate.) The pilot gets clearance from the tower like any other aircraft, by phone if you don't have an aviation band transceiver. Parts of the FAA 107 cert are how to read a sectional chart to identify classes of airspace and radio procedures. We expect later this year the procedures will be streamlined so FAA 107 certificate holders can get clearance quickly without waiting for paperwork with the request to go thru. DJI and other manufacturers are cooperating with aviation officials so that a next generation of drones may be transponder equipped to facilitate identification of drones.

Of course, a goal of this is to identify the 'good' drones so any that pop up without clearance can be taken out of the sky. After Gatwick and Newark incursions the drone boards are full of tech like 3D shortware radars that can accurately detect drones, drones to hunt and take them out of the area, and a host of shoulder mounted drone killers to take them down.

I hope this helps?
Thanks for all the good info. I should have made it a point that the video stressed that having a 107 cert was a benefit to one who's strictly a hobbyist.
I do have the Small UAS Cert and I copied the info from the PDF to the front and back of a business card as well as placing a label on my drone. I recently came across a website that said that carrying this registration info with you while flying was a requirement. I just thought that showing someone who might have concerns the Safety guidelines along with the rest of the information provided might be helpful. Do you know if it really is a requirement?

Do you know if it really is a requirement?

This site:

FAQ — Federal Drone Registration

Says this:

Yes. You will be required to have your FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating your unmanned aircraft.

I didn't go looking for the statute at faa.gov, but I recollect seeing similar when I got my certificate. I know I was required to carry my pilot certificate, CFI #1773388, when flying a plane, never questioned the requirement for the drone. And, I believe when I get my 107 it'll be added to the ratings on that 50 year old certificate.

I've also seen in boards like this that nobody has been prosecuted and fined a quarter million bucks or imprisoned for three years yet, and haven't seen anything about what penalties have actually been levied. Maybe they're saving that for whoever overflew Newark?

As with any post from a noob, me, I hope if I'm incorrect somebody who knows more will set the thread right...

This site:

FAQ — Federal Drone Registration

Says this:

Yes. You will be required to have your FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating your unmanned aircraft.

I didn't go looking for the statute at faa.gov, but I recollect seeing similar when I got my certificate. I know I was required to carry my pilot certificate, CFI #1773388, when flying a plane, never questioned the requirement for the drone. And, I believe when I get my 107 it'll be added to the ratings on that 50 year old certificate.

I've also seen in boards like this that nobody has been prosecuted and fined a quarter million bucks or imprisoned for three years yet, and haven't seen anything about what penalties have actually been levied. Maybe they're saving that for whoever overflew Newark?

As with any post from a noob, me, I hope if I'm incorrect somebody who knows more will set the thread right...
Thanks for the info. I seem to recall having seen that page before but don't recall seeing the requirement.
I took some time to review the FAQs and all seemed straight forward until I came across this:

"Q23. What happens if I sell my drone?
A. You should email [email protected] and the team will update your registration information. We also strongly encourage you to remove your registration number from the drone before the transfer of ownership."

I don't recall providing any specific information about my drone so I don't understand what would be updated.

Thanks for the info. I seem to recall having seen that page before but don't recall seeing the requirement.
I took some time to review the FAQs and all seemed straight forward until I came across this:

A. You should email [email protected] and the team will update your registration information. We also strongly encourage you to remove your registration number from the drone before the transfer of ownership."

I don't recall providing any specific information about my drone so I don't understand what would be updated.

Most likely the update would be that you no longer are in possession of the drone listed in your registration. The one that was sold, that is.

As a 107 pilot, you should have registered each individual UAV you own, and each one gets its own number and the aircraft's serial number is logged to the registration. When you sell that drone if someone were to take it and do something stupid - the FAA will come to you.

If you are a 107, you must register each of your UAVs this way even if some will only be flown for fun.

.... (jumped)...
All great info & advice, if interested there is a recent thread of similar information and additional tangent you may experience. As indicated, the primary reason for PT107 certification under current FAA code is associated to business operations, work being performed as fee or gain profit. Keep in mind if you "don't" need and you have an incident you "may find additional" legal court challenges if you do hold a PT107 cert. Another thing to consider that also helps in some situations. As a PT107 or Hobbyist with the ease of applying liability insurance via a phone app, if I'm in an area that could result in a legal suit for damage, privacy claims, etc. I'll open an app and purchase 1 hour of Insurance for that area ($7). The Insurance email (received in 1-3 minutes) when shown to folks approaching you presents a nice defusing instrument as well, it can include your FAA numbers on the document too. Several are available for PT107, and a few include Hobbyist coverage.... One I'm familiar for both is Skywatch. SkyWatch.AI - Drone Insurance App | On-Demand | Safer Pilots Pay Less

Additional post with similar and additional associated points to consider: Attached Post Link, my post #16.
Having difficulty with Drone Police in Florida

The section above that caught my eye was within @G Saunders post, indicating the Police or Park Officials, the Park Manager indicating to come back after obtaining a PT107 certificate. As in many posts, I've normally stated NOT to get into a challenging contest but to be polite and work with the situation. Although when a "badged" official attempts to control the environment with blatantly incorrect legal guidelines, I'd probably need to present a polite challenge and request where in State, City or Federal code, particularly in FAA code where it stipulates an area not designated as a NFZ is required to hold a PT107 certification vs Hobbyist. It's apparently not a Park that has a FAA NFZ designation since Park Official indicated to return with a PT107 cert.

*** Edited: reread post, may have misunderstood... and GS was indicating an opportunity of fee.

I'd attempt to clarify & challenge, if the situation turned testy, I'd move on... to City Hall or Police HQ and request to speak to the Chief or OIC. He'll be more aware his statements are more on record and may correct the previous statements. I have no issues following legal requirements, even the common person expressing I not fly over his property I'll make all effort to avoid if possible. But when an Official misrepresents legal code... that's attempting push his own personal feelings, and that should be nipped.

Last edited:
Just watched a video extolling the benefits of having a license. It suggested that one of the biggest benefits was being able to fly relatively close to airports with altitude limits. Flying close to airports at low altitudes might cause concerns to anyone that didn't fully understand the situation. It seems that with the current reports of illegal drone incursions along with this perception could easily lead to unwarranted blanket restrictions on all drone flying. It's not hard to imagine a politician making a talking point on how tough he'll be on this dastardly problem.
if we all just give up flying for a year they would go away i have

As far as flying close to airports goes, the current hobby rules (USA) require notification within 5 miles of an airport. No altitude restrictions exist.

Moving forward the new rules (Section 349) allow flight up to 400 feet AGL in Class G airspace with no notification required no matter how close to an airport you might be.

Once in some other airspace, like Classes B,C,D, and E (surface area) you will be required to obtain actual permission to fly and the ATC folks will tell you what max altitude you are cleared to fly at.

But no matter where you fly it is still 100% on you to see and avoid manned aircraft, not interfere with manned aircraft, and not pose a danger to people/property in the air or on the ground.

The video was encouraging someone who is strictly a hobbyist to get a 107 certificate. My concern was with having the ability to do something and then doing it might have negative consequences. As an example the video used an area in Texas populated with many small airports making it illegal to fly just about anywhere in the area without a 107. The benefit is obvious there but I was thinking of areas with less constraints and the wisdom of flying in certain areas just because you legally can.
Regardless of my original intent there's a lot of good info info in the replies. Thanks.
Also, I don't recall supplying any information about my particular drone when I applied for my hobbyist cert nor any requirement to notify the FAA if I acquire another so their records are current; only the requirement to label the drone. Did I just forget something?

The video was encouraging someone who is strictly a hobbyist to get a 107 certificate. My concern was with having the ability to do something and then doing it might have negative consequences. As an example the video used an area in Texas populated with many small airports making it illegal to fly just about anywhere in the area without a 107. The benefit is obvious there but I was thinking of areas with less constraints and the wisdom of flying in certain areas just because you legally can.
Regardless of my original intent there's a lot of good info info in the replies. Thanks.
Also, I don't recall supplying any information about my particular drone when I applied for my hobbyist cert nor any requirement to notify the FAA if I acquire another so their records are current; only the requirement to label the drone. Did I just forget something?
As @Phaedrus indicates... you can fly as a Hobbyist, I beleive the video is misunderstood or misleading. There aren't any areas open to only PT107 cert... currently.

As @Phaedrus indicates... you can fly as a Hobbyist, I beleive the video is misunderstood or misleading. There aren't any areas open to only PT107 cert... currently.
This is the video to which I was referring:
Reason 5 shows areas in which you can legally fly with a 107 but not with a hobbyist cert. Is the video in error or am I just failing to understand something?

. . . . Also, I don't recall supplying any information about my particular drone when I applied for my hobbyist cert nor any requirement to notify the FAA if I acquire another so their records are current; only the requirement to label the drone. Did I just forget something?

Yes, you have missed something. To be clear; if you are a 107 holder, you have to have all your aircraft registered under your 107, each will have a different number. This does not mean you can't fly them for fun or hobby but you cannot fly a hobby registered UAV for work under your 107.

If you go to the FAA website you will see that under drone registration there are two separate paths; the 336 and 107. When you click on the 107 (I am assuming you have never done this) you will be promted to create an account, once completed, follow the steps and register your individual aircraft that you use under the 107, if you have multiple, you will see that you can add them one at a time. Each will have a specific number.

If you are flying under a 107 but flying an aircraft that was only registered under the 336 rules you need to do these steps.

Reg1.jpg

Yes, you have missed something. To be clear; if you are a 107 holder, you have to have all your aircraft registered under your 107, each will have a different number. This does not mean you can't fly them for fun or hobby but you cannot fly a hobby registered UAV for work under your 107.

If you go to the FAA website you will see that under drone registration there are two separate paths; the 336 and 107. When you click on the 107 (I am assuming you have never done this) you will be promted to create an account, once completed, follow the steps and register your individual aircraft that you use under the 107, if you have multiple, you will see that you can add them one at a time. Each will have a specific number.

If you are flying under a 107 but flying an aircraft that was only registered under the 336 rules you need to do these steps.

View attachment 13978
I am strictly a hobbyist. My concern is with the wisdom of someone who is strictly a hobbyist getting a 107 cert and the possible negative effects of flying in otherwise forbidden areas. As a hobbyist I don't recall supplying any info about my drone when I got the hobbyist cert.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yezzy hoodie