Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Problems with edited 4K footage

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with any of their edited 4K footage?
I use the latest version of Final Cut Pro X and I am having an issue with the footage after it is exported.
The video is skipping.
I don't have any problems with HD files, but it does seem to be an issue anytime I edit 4K.
I know it is not my computer, due to editing much larger 4K from my Sony Camcorder.

Yes, I even tried ProRes, although that is a little overkill, due to it being 10-bit 4.2.2 and the drone only records 8-bit 4.2.0.
I typically export to H.264 and it always works fine.

It appears to have an issue when editing with Final Cut Pro.
When I tried Premiere it worked fine.
However, I have used Final Cut a lot (even with 4K footage) and never had a problem.
It is the same for my Typhoon Q500 4K.

Can you post a link to a sample that shows the skipping? Is it at a fixed interval, every second? It might be a framerate mismatch (29.97/29.98 vs 30). I don't use FCP, but I assume it has presets for the output format -- if that isn't matched to the source material, iFCP might be interpolating or repeating frames, or be dropping frames if it is going the other way (30 fps source to 29.97 fps output).

It's a FCP issue. The most recent update seems to have done something to export presets. The same settings I've used in the past on 4K Typhoon footage now cause the skipping/stuttering that you described. Example here:

It's minor, but it's annoying.

What is strange is that it happens when I use Compressor as well.
Has anyone found a way to fix this.
I can use Premiere, but Final Cut is faster for smaller projects.

I have a question about Premiere. I'm trying to render a 30 minute 4K clip and it seems really slow. My export settings are H264,frame rate 29.97,Profile High, level 5.2, render quality high. It's a windows 10 system with an I7 processor and 24gb ram,and all scratch and video files are on a SSD. It's been rendering for about 30 hours now and it's about 50% through pass1. Does this seem normal or is there something I could do to speed it up besides cutting the clip down

Has anyone had any issues with any of their edited 4K footage?
I use the latest version of Final Cut Pro X and I am having an issue with the footage after it is exported.
The video is skipping.
I don't have any problems with HD files, but it does seem to be an issue anytime I edit 4K.
I know it is not my computer, due to editing much larger 4K from my Sony Camcorder.
I used Final Cut early last year as my editor for footage captured at 1080 HD using a P2V+ and I finally ditched it because it was throwing up too many problems.

I have a question about Premiere. I'm trying to render a 30 minute 4K clip and it seems really slow. My export settings are H264,frame rate 29.97,Profile High, level 5.2, render quality high. It's a windows 10 system with an I7 processor and 24gb ram,and all scratch and video files are on a SSD. It's been rendering for about 30 hours now and it's about 50% through pass1. Does this seem normal or is there something I could do to speed it up besides cutting the clip down
I don't use Premiere but here's how I handle long 4k videos in Cyberlink PowerDirector 14. Break the project into 10+/- minute chunks and produce H264 files for each. Then import the H264 files into a new session, snap them together and produce again. PD14 will speed through the process. You'll have to decide how to handle the audio tracks at the breaks. I hope this works for you.

What Codec did you use for Export I use Pro Res HQ and haven't had any issues...are you exporting with the same Codec you use for the Sony material?
This is the reason. Thanks for not making me type it. Convert to ProRes and your problems will go bye bye.

And to anyone reading this that can't get a ProRes codec, use DNxHD 75 minimum.

Here is a link to this workflow that I made last year.

Last edited:
I don't use Premiere but here's how I handle long 4k videos in Cyberlink PowerDirector 14. Break the project into 10+/- minute chunks and produce H264 files for each. Then import the H264 files into a new session, snap them together and produce again. PD14 will speed through the process. You'll have to decide how to handle the audio tracks at the breaks. I hope this works for you.
The down side to this is then you have another generation of compression.

Another generation of compression and you're still dealing with highly compressed video which editors hate, especially h264.
Exactly.
Every time you compress, a ton of data is thrown away.

I like to record in 4K, but I export to HD.
4K is mostly for cropping right now.
Especially with how small the CGO3+ bit rate is.

Reactions: Jussaguy
The down side to this is then you have another generation of compression.
Well, that's the thing. Since a produced video re-processes so fast, I don't think it is getting compressed, just passed through. PowerDirector uses something they call "Smart Video Rendering Technology" that decides if the video needs to be re-rendered. I ran a quick test on a 5-min video taken directly from the Typhoon H. The first pass took several minutes. Subsequent passes took about 1 minute. I compared the 3rd pass with the original and was unable to find any video degradation (pixilation, loss of resolution, etc.) and file size remained virtually the same as the original Yuneec file (1.8 Gb). All files were H.264, 3840x2160/30p, file type .m2ts. I rest my case.

Well, that's the thing. Since a produced video re-processes so fast, I don't think it is getting compressed, just passed through. PowerDirector uses something they call "Smart Video Rendering Technology" that decides if the video needs to be re-rendered. I ran a quick test on a 5-min video taken directly from the Typhoon H. The first pass took several minutes. Subsequent passes took about 1 minute. I compared the 3rd pass with the original and was unable to find any video degradation (pixilation, loss of resolution, etc.) and file size remained virtually the same as the original Yuneec file (1.8 Gb). All files were H.264, 3840x2160/30p, file type .m2ts. I rest my case.
At the risk of sounding like a know it all, your post is not in line with understanding of encoding and generation loss. You can encode 50x and end up with the same resolution and beef up the bitrate to constant 5000 CBR and end up with the same resolution and h264 and it will look like a piece of poop.

At the risk of sounding like a know it all, your post is not in line with understanding of encoding and generation loss. You can encode 50x and end up with the same resolution and beef up the bitrate to constant 5000 CBR and end up with the same resolution and h264 and it will look like a piece of poop.
As I said, the 3rd generation looked as good as the original footage on my 4k monitor. No poop! Perhaps Cyberlink has a unique feature with SVRT. I've been using PowerDirector for several years and am very happy with the results.

As I said, the 3rd generation looked as good as the original footage on my 4k monitor. No poop! Perhaps Cyberlink has a unique feature with SVRT. I've been using PowerDirector for several years and am very happy with the results.
I promise you, it didn't. The second generation one was darker, by a large amount and the third one was absolute trash. I have been working with encoding since digital came to be and you cannot recompress h264 more than once. It is lossy on the first round but not terrible but a preview codec, once recompressed it's darker and full of pixelation and by the third its a mess. But I am what they call a pixel f***er but with all due respect, even, again if you had a CBR cranked all the way to the max, you do not have a third generation h264 that looks good. It doesn't even look good out of the bird, especially the H. It's subjective obviously and if you can enjoy it, that's all that really matters so I guess I shouldn't be saying that.

I promise you, it didn't. The second generation one was darker, by a large amount and the third one was absolute trash. I have been working with encoding since digital came to be and you cannot recompress h264 more than once. It is lossy on the first round but not terrible but a preview codec, once recompressed it's darker and full of pixelation and by the third its a mess. But I am what they call a pixel f***er but with all due respect, even, again if you had a CBR cranked all the way to the max, you do not have a third generation h264 that looks good. It doesn't even look good out of the bird, especially the H. It's subjective obviously and if you can enjoy it, that's all that really matters so I guess I shouldn't be saying that.
Check these out:
Original.jpg Pass 3.jpg
I pulled these stills out of the video files at 30-seconds in. They look pretty much the same to me.

Check these out:
View attachment 4828 View attachment 4829
I pulled these stills out of the video files at 30-seconds in. They look pretty much the same to me.
You can't pull a still to still for a comparison of compression from a video file. Either way, I'm on a phone in a car so I can't at the moment look at them but post two clips to compare, and clips with movement if you want a true evaluation of it.

Not that I need it, 3 generations of h264 compression will not be quality footage. The h264 straight out of the bird is not even very good to begin with.

*also what do you mean you did zero post processing? I thought you said you compressed it three x. Do you just mean you didn't color correct it? I would hope not as that would be an even more difficult comparison, again especially on a video file. Please post 3 untouched versions of 1) the original file and 2) the video the the thrice compressed file.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal