Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Quality Loss When Processing Typhoon Footage

Reaction score
Has anyone has an issue where they process CGO 3+ footage with a video editor and it appears as though there is some quality or resolution loss after processing?

This occurs even at 1080 p, processing footage in MP4 to MP4.

Should we be transcoding the raw footage first or what?

The variable is the editing software. What are you using? I have used both Adobe Premiere Pro (Subscription service is a joke), as well as my primary editing software Final Cut Pro X with no loss of quality in 4k, or 1080p.

The variable is the editing software. What are you using? I have used both Adobe Premiere Pro (Subscription service is a joke), as well as my primary editing software Final Cut Pro X with no loss of quality in 4k, or 1080p.

I was using Sony Movie Maker. I decided it was terrible, so I am now working with Pinnacle, but haven't had a chance to really use it yet. I have some freeware like Hit Film and Video Pad.

So it might be a case of me testing and playing and either finding the best software or settings.

At some point I am willing to plunk down some heavier coin for something like Adobe Pro, but not until I go out and get a more beastly machine some time next year.

I tried the 'free' versions also. You get what you pay for.. :(

Let us know the outcome of Pinnacle.

I tried the 'free' versions also. You get what you pay for.. :(

Let us know the outcome of Pinnacle.

I will. Pinnacle 20. And all of these free or paid versions take some getting used to.
What I was asking is that for people with experience, is there a standard method you use to process your movies?

Do some of you have better success Transcoding FIRST to another format? Or do people just straight up go with the raw files and have no issues?

You should avoid any unnecessary transcoding, since that will invariably result in some loss of fidelity. Even repeatedly encoding using the same code and encoding settings will degrade quality. Also, you can't get information back that isn't there in the source, to going from a interframe codec to a intraframe one, or from a lossy codec to a lossless one doesn't help improve quality.

Reactions: Tree
I've not noticed any degrade in quality on the rendered video. I always export using the same fps as the video was shot at and around 40,000 kbps. But I'm also a novice.

I'm not saying you shouldn't render -- eventually you will have to if you want to share the edited video with the rest of the world.

What I'm saying is don't transcode it before editing. Different codecs may use different color spaces and curves, color subsampling, and ways of encoding detail. Even the same codec from two different vendors (or two different versions of the codec from the same vendor) will often show differences.

Because of these differences, transcoding will results in loss of fidelity. You can demonstrate this quite easily by taking the same still image, encoding it using two different codecs in a video editor, export a still from each video, and then subtracting one still from another in Photoshop (using the Difference layer blending mode).

I love the knowledge in this forum by the way. So thank you guys for taking the time to reply and try to help. It is totally appreciated.

Has anyone has an issue where they process CGO 3+ footage with a video editor and it appears as though there is some quality or resolution loss after processing?

Video editing is a whole subject itself. As it was mentioned before not only are there several formats for different applications, but then codecs with different settings each and different color managment, and finally render settings.

I am not an expert but I've been working with video for quite some time now, and I've come to understand a few things; first of all .MP4 format is not a video format, it is rather a container, in which you can have different video and audio tracks. So don't be deceived: converting from .MP4 to MP4 doesn't mean you're using to the same format per se.

Anyway, if you're experiencing video quality loss I would advice (without getting too technical) to export using the same (or a close match) to the video bitrate of the source. Don't go above it, as you will just increase file size without gaining anything. (If you're using variable bit rate render 2 passes!)

Also, make sure you're using the .H264 codec, it is widely used as it gives very nice quality without a lot of compression with considerable file sizes.

And last, make sure your output frame-rate matches the source. Not long ago I was breaking my head trying to get a 4K video to play smoothly and nothing seemed to solve the issue, it turns out I was rendering at 30fps while the source from the CGO3+ is native NTSC 29.97fps and that was enough to throw off the final video.

Greetings!

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'm not an "expert" either but my results using CyberLink PowerDirector 14 have been great. It handles the native NTSC with the H.264 codec beautifully. I shoot 3840x2160x30p and produce at the same resolution in either .m2ts or .mp4 at 50 Mbps.
A cool additional feature of this software is that if you need to re-render a video (for example, to assemble multiple rendered sequences) it simply passes through the already rendered portions without re-rendering them, provided you are using the same resolution and codec. This saves a lot of time and avoids the loss of resolution normally associated with re-rendering.

Reactions: Steve Carr

I process all my footage with Apple Compressor, Apple ProRez (HQ) whether it's my camera or my drone. It maintains the quality throughout.

And last, make sure your output frame-rate matches the source. Not long ago I was breaking my head trying to get a 4K video to play smoothly and nothing seemed to solve the issue, it turns out I was rendering at 30fps while the source from the CGO3+ is native NTSC 29.97fps and that was enough to throw off the final video.

Greetings!

I am having the issue that whenever I edit my 4K footage from the CGO3+, the video stutters slightly.
I am using Final Cut Pro X. Is this similar to what you were experiencing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I process all my footage with Apple Compressor, Apple ProRez (HQ) whether it's my camera or my drone. It maintains the quality throughout.

Agreed on Pro Res codecs. I'm experimenting with rendering to 720 to see if that improves YouTube but for Vimeo, I stay 1080. I like 60 frames for capture so I can play with speeds post and rendering down to 29.97 does not hurt quality at all. For sure my colors get duller with the whatever compression YouTube does but it's in line with the look of internet video and on Vimeo looks great. I found 4k not worth the time as it is artifact laden when not viewed on proper monitors and since most people don't have 4k playback in their pocket I opt for current HD resolution. I edit in Premier and getting the pro res codecs is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed on Pro Res codecs. I'm experimenting with rendering to 720 to see if that improves YouTube but for Vimeo, I stay 1080. I like 60 frames for capture so I can play with speeds post and rendering down to 29.97 does not hurt quality at all. For sure my colors get duller with the whatever compression YouTube does but it's in line with the look of internet video and on Vimeo looks great. I found 4k not worth the time as it is artifact laden when not viewed on proper monitors and since most people don't have 4k playback in their pocket I opt for current HD resolution. I edit in Premier and getting the pro res codecs is easy.

Craig, try shooting in 4k and rendering in 1080p. I was shocked at how much better the end product looked than shooting at 1080p.

Craig, try shooting in 4k and rendering in 1080p. I was shocked at how much better the end product looked than shooting at 1080p.

Ok. I will. Got new snow on mountains today so I'll give it a go.

Yes, it's software that comes with Final Cut Pro.
Which is Adobe, correct?

I am currently using Pinnacle 20. I have not had time to play with that much.

But I tried using Sony Movie Maker and I think it's a bad product.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerfectPlanqa