Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RTH

Reaction score
I was wondering if the Tyfoon H will engage the obstacle avoidance if it loses signal and switches to RTH mode. I watched a youtube video of a guy losing contact while flying around a church tower. The drone went into RTH and flew smack dap into the side of the steeple.
My H has realsense and I'm hoping that might make a difference. It is not however something I'm really anxious to try out and find I'm mistaken.

RealSense will not switch on automatically. You can manually switch RealSense on, but remember the max speed will be 10-11 mph.
If you can, better to raise the drone to a clear height, then switch RTH on.

I was wondering if the Tyfoon H will engage the obstacle avoidance if it loses signal and switches to RTH mode. I watched a youtube video of a guy losing contact while flying around a church tower. The drone went into RTH and flew smack dap into the side of the steeple.
My H has realsense and I'm hoping that might make a difference. It is not however something I'm really anxious to try out and find I'm mistaken.

If you want obstacle avoidance to protect your forward movement flight path of your Typhoon in any flight mode then be sure to engage it before flight or in air. Your airspeed will decrease when OA is engaged, as OA slows the aircraft so it has time to respond to its sensors and avoid the obstacles it senses, so don't expect the same speed as normal. However, the tradeoff is well worth the protection OA gives you.

Whether using RTH or not, switching on OA is the surest way of having it work for you, even if you do briefly lose contact with the H for whatever reason. That's my advice. Others may chime in here, too, with more thoughts on the matter. Good luck, safe flying, and always be careful to follow Yuneec's instructions, FAA regs, and that inner compass of common sense that keep us out of trouble if we only listen to it.

It's much better when the operator is smarter than the drone and recognizes the drone may need to go over something rather than through it. Now, that wasn't suggesting the operator involved with the church was dumb because I know of a few instances where big, big money fixed wing drone operators set up their lost comm flight plans without considering there would be mountain between where they were and where the aircraft was. It took two mountain crash recoveries before they finally set up a higher lost comm flight plan altitude;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy