Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 for use in H520 and original H

Reaction score
I recently purchased an H520 and now own it along with my original Typhoon H( one of the first H models out, June 2016 if memory serves me correctly) I haven't flown the H much recently, but was very diligent about Battery Storage voltage. While waiting for my new H520 to arrive I took my original H out to fly and both batteries preformed as expected, close to original flight times.

So it appears I now own 2, ready to fly, reliable Yuneec products.

I am wondering how best to augment my capabilities, specifically, is there a scenario in which I can use one or the other controllers in team mode for one of the birds without making crippling the other system?

Thanks

That is not a well explored possibility.
It is probably possible to use the Typhoon H ST16 as the team mode controller when flying the H520 missions by manually loading the H520 (APP only) to a Standard ST16. It might lead to unexplored flight problems, but it will at least work in general. When you want to use the ST16 as the team mode controller for the H520, you would manually start the APP from the PAD screen. You need to go to a safe place to test out that theory.

Someone else will have to comment about using the H520 ST16S as the second controller when flying the TH missions. I would have to "refresh my memory" on that one (which in this case means I don't have a clue).
The firmware update systems are different between ST16 and ST16S. It's easy to install the H520 APP ONLY on an ST16. Probably not so easy to install an ST16 APP ONLY on an ST16S. It would likely take some firmware swapping shenanigans to get the original ST16 APP co-installed and easily available on an H520 ST16S. And then I'm not even sure if it would bind to the H520 drone.
Your best hope here is if someone has already done it and can provide some real information.

One alternative would be to purchase a third controller. ST16S would be better, but an ST16 will probably do. Load/Convert the thing to native ST16 firmware, then load the H520 APP to run when selected. That way it can be the second controller for both systems. Still not a well proven system, but it sounds more likely to work.

Someone else will have to comment about using the H520 ST16S as the second controller when flying the TH missions. I would have to "refresh my memory" on that one (which in this case means I don't have a clue). ....... It would likely take some firmware swapping shenanigans to get the original ST16 APP co-installed and easily available on an H520 ST16S. And then I'm not even sure if it would bind to the H520 drone.
Your best hope here is if someone has already done it and can provide some real information.
Some update. I've been playing.

It actually took very little shenanigans to load the ST16 Flight Mode on an ST16S normally set up for H520. However, actually starting it is currently very inconvenient. The problem is the H520 "DataPilot" APP is set to start by default, and I could not find a way to disable the default. To be clear, I can clear the default in settings, but it comes right back. To compound the inconvenience, neither the Typhoon H "FlightMode" App nor the "Launcher" App show up in the Pad menu.
Soooo...... You have to start the controller, go to the "PAD", uninstall the H520 APP and the H520 "Updater" APP and restart the controller every time you want to use the ST16S as the Camera controller on a Typhoon H Mission. Which means you have to reinstall the H520 APP when you get ready to use the ST16S to fly an H520. And there will be more to that story. On this first try, the Typhoon H FlightMode is stuck in the ST16S craw, and starts by default. The H520 "DataPilot" can be manually started, but It is another level of inconvienience. It does not seem to be running.
I'm not much of an Android guy. Maybe someone who knows what they are doing with Android can take a look at this to see if there is a way to get "Launcher" to start by default, or at least get either "Launcher" or "Typhoon H FlightMode" to show up on the Pad screen. And disable the "Launce by Default" feature for both FlightMode and DataPilot.

With all that said, the system at least seems to work while sitting on the back porch. It was a Typhoon H drone with CGo3+ camera. The normal ST16 was used as the "Pilot" controller. The ST16S was used for the "Camera" controller. Camera and drone bound with no issue. Motors started. Flight modes changed in response to the switch, camera position moved around in response to the controls. But that is about all I did.

I'm not much of an Android guy. Maybe someone who knows what they are doing with Android can take a look at this to see if there is a way to get "Launcher" to start by default, or at least get either "Launcher" or "Typhoon H FlightMode" to show up on the Pad screen. And disable the "Launce by Default" feature for both FlightMode and DataPilot.
Update on the Update: One step closer.

You can go to APPS in settings to "Force Stop" and clear defaults for which ever flight control APP is running. That way, when you try to go back to the flight screen, the "Launcher" shows up and you can select either flight App. The one you select appears to run normally. I tried to set "Launcher" as the "ALWAYS" default APP, but it did not stay, and caused other problems that had to be cleared.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold