Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tethering a typhoon H question

Reaction score
Hoverfly tech has a tethering system for the Typhoon H, how long should it be flown in one event considering the motors do get hot in just a short period of time? Can I fly 1, 2, or more hours without motors burning up? How about the guts of the H can it with stand lengthy flights? Of course hot days aren't desirable. Does any body have one and what is your opinion? Thanks:)

Reactions: kd4pbs
Hoverfly tech has a tethering system for the Typhoon H, how long should it be flown in one event considering the motors do get hot in just a short period of time? Can I fly 1, 2, or more hours without motors burning up? How about the guts of the H can it with stand lengthy flights? Of course hot days aren't desirable. Does any body have one and what is your opinion? Thanks:)
Hi AH-1G , from what I have read and seen on Youtube you can fly "forever" lets say 24hrs as the props cools down the motors.
Tethered flights with drone Tethered drone could fly 'forever’

Imagine the mayhem if the power supplying the tether suddenly goes tats up! I'd hope they would put a small battery up in the air at the end of the tether just in case.

Imagine the mayhem if the power supplying the tether suddenly goes tats up! I'd hope they would put a small battery up in the air at the end of the tether just in case.
A tethered drone HAS a back-up battery in the drone for about 5-7 minutes flight-time, so don't worry...

The tether is inserted into a H battery, good question. I will call HF and ask that questions. thanks

Just looked at the price of these and nearly spit my coffee all over my monitor.
Wow. Just.... WOW!
I'm in the wrong business!

I've also wondered about the motor life. For dedicated service I think you'd want to create a maintenance sked, with motor replacement, etc.

Hoverfly1.jpg Hoverfly2.jpg

Just looked at the price of these and nearly spit my coffee all over my monitor.
Wow. Just.... WOW!
I'm in the wrong business!
kd4, relax.."Tethering" a drone costs only about 2600Euro. You will break-even after only 5-6 professional assignments. Think about it that way instead of the cost.

I've also wondered about the motor life. For dedicated service I think you'd want to create a maintenance sked, with motor replacement, etc.

View attachment 7266 View attachment 7267
Worry more about how to bring revenue to your drone when flying tethered. Why fly tethered as a hobby? I guess you can charge about 65Eur/hr by flying your H for business, like sport and for news agencies.

Ray, I called Hoverfly yesterday and they mentioned they haven't tested their equipment on the 520H, your pic shows a 520? Unless you are ahhhh, hmmmmm :rolleyes:?
Oh yes this will be for business purposes. Yea price is steep but rewards can be fantastic.

kd4, relax.."Tethering" a drone costs only about 2600Euro. You will break-even after only 5-6 professional assignments. Think about it that way instead of the cost.
It's not about the break even point. It's about what is in the box versus what they charge for what is in the box; the principal of the matter. A power supply, a reel of reinforced wire, a spool, and a couple of electrical connectors in a case. $200 worth of parts that they charge $6000 for. WOW!

It's not about the break even point. It's about what is in the box versus what they charge for what is in the box; the principal of the matter. A power supply, a reel of reinforced wire, a spool, and a couple of electrical connectors in a case. $200 worth of parts that they charge $6000 for. WOW!
Tethered Yuneec Drones $2.999.00 for the tethering device only

IF you own a tethered H or 520 you probably are into "dronebusiness" and see what you buy as an investment and not a pure cost. Those who develop a product to tether a drone wants reasonable pay off of their research, develop and part cost AND in the end, profit. Just like all other products on the market.Indefinite flight time with Hoverfly

View attachment 7266 View attachment 7267
I feel like Rayray is holding out, or he knows some people and is very well connected. I opt for the second one. Yes, the hover fly has been tested with the 520. Yes, there's a video in the forum somewhere with footage of said test in Las Vegas (I think). Yes, the hover fly battery adapter has enough power to safely land the airframe if the ground power station fails. Yes, Rayray is holding out.....

Don't get me wrong... in the business in which I made a career there are lots of real expensive toys for us. Thing is, the technology that is inside those toys are pretty much in line with the cost and not hyperinflated like this. Even when considering that it is for a small niche market.
But seriously, guys! What if I were to build one and sell it $2500? It would be easy, take about a week including amassing all the parts, and could be undoubtedly improved upon over anything else on the market. I'd even put a shiatsu massager on the top to massage your sore fingers between shots. And I'd be making about 2000% profit.
This device should be included on this page. It's very similar to the $3500 concrete doorstop, but doesn't quite have the cost-to-build versus selling price of the $249 carbon fiber toilet seat! LOL
24 Ridiculously Expensive Everyday Items | Cool Material

Seriously though, this is how we end up with organizations like the Pentagon paying $600 for a hammer.

"Why is it that expensive? Well, simply because people will actually pay that much for it!"

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong... in the business in which I made a career there are lots of real expensive toys for us. Thing is, the technology that is inside those toys are pretty much in line with the cost and not hyperinflated like this. Even when considering that it is for a small niche market.
But seriously, guys! What if I were to build one and sell it $2500? It would be easy, take about a week including amassing all the parts, and could be undoubtedly improved upon over anything else on the market. I'd even put a shiatsu massager on the top to massage your sore fingers between shots. And I'd be making about 2000% profit.
This device should be included on this page. It's very similar to the $3500 concrete doorstop, but doesn't quite have the cost-to-build versus selling price of the $249 carbon fiber toilet seat! LOL

Seriously though, this is how we end up with organizations like the Pentagon paying $600 for a hammer.

"Why is it that expensive? Well, simply because people will actually pay that much for it!"
There is a brand of lager available in the U.K. and some years ago the makers ran an advertising campaign that ran for some time. The catch phrase in the advert said: 'Reassuringly expensive'.

I feel like Rayray is holding out, or he knows some people and is very well connected. I opt for the second one. Yes, the hover fly has been tested with the 520. Yes, there's a video in the forum somewhere with footage of said test in Las Vegas (I think). Yes, the hover fly battery adapter has enough power to safely land the airframe if the ground power station fails. Yes, Rayray is holding out.....
It takes 2 weeks from the time you order the tether to receive it.

Would you build one for me, How much?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gocdunn