Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TOILET BOWLING !

Reaction score
Quick history , had my H for about 10 days , first weekend did the firmware update that just came out in March .
Did my first compass cali in my front yard , (I know , but it worked) First 3 flights were textbook , never went above 200 or 100 out. Saturday I drained the battery just to see , landed , no issues . Sunday , cloudy , drizzled ,
could not fly . Came home from work tonite , windy , 10 mph . Had to get my fix , went through the same routine ,
all systems good , took off . After about 7 minutes it got breezy so I went to land (yes , in angle) About 10 feet she started to "Toilet Bowl" Did I mention I was filming all of this ? Double checked Angle , went to turtle , almost hit my truck . then my neighbors tree . Bounced off the street right near the curb , twice . I would have just shut the props off at this point and taken the loss but she just kept circling . Anyways seconds later I came down at a 45 degree angle in some ivy , shut it down . By the grace of God only 2 damaged props , ST-16 even prompted my it was going into "5 rotor Mode" after the crash , I guess thats good . I watched the video , almost funny . I can say this has not swayed my confidence , it was 1 black , 1 white , did an accelerometor and gimble cali just now and they went fine . My next compass cali will be in a wide open grassy space . I might post the video , its worth watching .
Not gonna call unless my next flight is weird . I luv this stuff and I'm just gettin started , Cheers !

Quick history , had my H for about 10 days , first weekend did the firmware update that just came out in March .
Did my first compass cali in my front yard , (I know , but it worked) First 3 flights were textbook , never went above 200 or 100 out. Saturday I drained the battery just to see , landed , no issues . Sunday , cloudy , drizzled ,
could not fly . Came home from work tonite , windy , 10 mph . Had to get my fix , went through the same routine ,
all systems good , took off . After about 7 minutes it got breezy so I went to land (yes , in angle) About 10 feet she started to "Toilet Bowl" Did I mention I was filming all of this ? Double checked Angle , went to turtle , almost hit my truck . then my neighbors tree . Bounced off the street right near the curb , twice . I would have just shut the props off at this point and taken the loss but she just kept circling . Anyways seconds later I came down at a 45 degree angle in some ivy , shut it down . By the grace of God only 2 damaged props , ST-16 even prompted my it was going into "5 rotor Mode" after the crash , I guess thats good . I watched the video , almost funny . I can say this has not swayed my confidence , it was 1 black , 1 white , did an accelerometor and gimble cali just now and they went fine . My next compass cali will be in a wide open grassy space . I might post the video , its worth watching .
Not gonna call unless my next flight is weird . I luv this stuff and I'm just gettin started , Cheers !
In the past several people had found if the H starts the TB thing, they gained altitude and it seems to stop and would start again when getting lower to the ground. They climbed again and turned off GPS and then could land normally. Of course if the wind is strong that makes it more difficult to fly.
Also, when you do your next compass calibration try facing North. While there is no mention of that in the manual, it was a requirement with the Q500.

@Dooogie
You did all the right things the right way.
All I can say is that do the Compass and the Accelerometer calibrations again. If the problem returns, CALL YUNEEC. There have been issues with the GPS board (also has the flight controller on it) and your only recourse would be to let Yuneec replace it.
Here is a great video on the PROPER way to do the calibrations:
Calibration of: Compass, Accelerometer, Gimbal Camera
And this is how to calibrate your ST-16, Although I do not think your ST-16 is at fault:
ST 16 Calibration Video
Let us know how you make out

I get TB when i hover for long periods and that sucks cause i want to get time lapse or a long tripod style video of something moving. I do a compass calibration and go back up and seems to fix. But it is a shame it can so easily go into the TB.

Reactions: Dooogie
Probably best not to cal your compass in the backyard, go to a local field, start your st16 put it on the ground and then take at least 5 long steps, place your H on the ground facing north and start it up.
Remove any metal, watch, rings, phone and place alongside st16. Now do you compass cal which will be a lot more accurate...

Reactions: Rayray and Dooogie
Wind can cause your whole H to work too hard to hold position and it can overload the internal calculations and give up start toilet bowling. I've stated here before that compass calibration is about giving the H the needed data points to do its complex calculations to hold position. It can be "successful" but imperfect and leave some gaps in the data that it error corrects for. These are the compass errors logged in flight that when get too many at once, control can go bad and you can get a fly away next. Don't mess around here as I had similar problems I they replaced my IMU and GPS module. I've had a reliable H post a few trips to Yuneec to get all the bugs out.

Just for kicks, could you describe the exact preflight process you follow when you go flying? How you set up, what stage of the set up process where you push the H power button, when you raise and lock the arms, when the gimbal lock is removed, when you position the aircraft for the take off, etc. The exact order if you would. Thanks.

K-Index was up to 6 yesterday. Just sayin.....

9CPFcSc.png

Reactions: Dooogie and madatme
Just for kicks, could you describe the exact preflight process you follow when you go flying? How you set up, what stage of the set up process where you push the H power button, when you raise and lock the arms, when the gimbal lock is removed, when you position the aircraft for the take off, etc. The exact order if you would. Thanks.
Turn ST on , remove gimble lock , set H down on lvl ground , turn H on , get back 30 feet , turn props on in safe/turtle , take off . I am going to try to edit the vid and post it , I got really lucky !

Reactions: Steve Carr
So I just tried to upload the vid , said the file size was too big . Anyone know the limit , its about 300 megs .
I usually upload to Youtube and then put the link in the comments. You could also use a link if you use online data storage like Dropbox or OneDrive.

In the past several people had found if the H starts the TB thing, they gained altitude and it seems to stop and would start again when getting lower to the ground. They climbed again and turned off GPS and then could land normally. Of course if the wind is strong that makes it more difficult to fly.
Also, when you do your next compass calibration try facing North. While there is no mention of that in the manual, it was a requirement with the Q500.
Down loaded latest firmware update last night and calibrated compass at our RC field this afternoon. Flew three batteries all went well and ran the battery down to the first vibration warning on the ST16 at @ 14.4. At that point the H started wandering around.

I luv this stuff and I'm just gettin started , Cheers !

I agree with the answers given here, and I really like your attitude.

If you believe you have a good compass calibration (got the Green light at the end), re-do the Acceleration calibration. Do it inside on a level surface, only takes a jiffy.

I suggest waiting until your craft has at least 16 or more Sats, and the ST16 more than 10. Then give it a go, whilst whistling God save the queen...and my drone. Always start with a charged battery. Before you start the drone, watch the rear light. It should at first show a steady green. If it is Yellow or Red, change to a fully charged battery.

You gonna be OK. I'm sure of it, in fact. (Sorry about the frivolous joke)

Tower_1.jpg
I'm not flying over 4kp anymore better safe than sorry. I'm also not taking any jobs where power lines are close by. Just not work the risk.
Chad,

This type of tower typically "leaks" energy in the 800MHz band, which is something we normally don't need to worry about. In case you wonder, it was a stock lens H photo.

Reactions: Dooogie and GRH
I agree with the answers given here, and I really like your attitude.

If you believe you have a good compass calibration (got the Green light at the end), re-do the Acceleration calibration. Do it inside on a level surface, only takes a jiffy.

I suggest waiting until your craft has at least 16 or more Sats, and the ST16 more than 10. Then give it a go, whilst whistling God save the queen...and my drone. Always start with a charged battery. Before you start the drone, watch the rear light. It should at first show a steady green. If it is Yellow or Red, change to a fully charged battery.

You gonna be OK. I'm sure of it, in fact. (Sorry about the frivolous joke)
Did a full diagnostic with the software , everything looked good but I had a funny altitude reading .Did a accelerometer cali and a Gimble Cali , put on some new props , ran the motors for about 5-6 minutes , all good . Goin to a park tomorrow to Compass Cali ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22