Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H 480 PX4 v1.10 (Stability issues ;-)

Hello guys i'm thinking to switch to thunderbird. I've read the docs but I still have one question. Why is the sonar not supported and what about the realsense. Is it hard to add it to the firmware? Does px4 not support it natively?

Thunderbird FW was a one-man show of Pöllö from Finland. He did the necessary parts of the FW to get it fly, no more. Now he is doing other things and disappeared from this forum.
Unfortunately no other developer of the community is interested in to continue the project. PX4 supports a lot of sensors, RealSense. LIDAR and so on, but it needs developer. Typhoon H is a niche product with little recognition in the PX4 community and is also relatively old. It is near the Intel Aero which was abandoned by Intel a long time ago.

I do not expect that we get something more as we have today. I found some problems in FW "Thunderbird_170521_CD". I think it is better to use still "Thunderbird_030420_CD".

br HE

Thunderbird FW was a one-man show of Pöllö from Finland. He did the necessary parts of the FW to get it fly, no more. Now he is doing other things and disappeared from this forum.
Unfortunately no other developer of the community is interested in to continue the project. PX4 supports a lot of sensors, RealSense. LIDAR and so on, but it needs developer. Typhoon H is a niche product with little recognition in the PX4 community and is also relatively old. It is near the Intel Aero which was abandoned by Intel a long time ago.

I do not expect that we get something more as we have today. I found some problems in FW "Thunderbird_170521_CD". I think it is better to use still "Thunderbird_030420_CD".

br HE
Could this firmware be installed on the PixHawk 2.4.8 or the PixHawk 6C?

In the flash documentation, it states there are two methods of connecting the FC to the firmware flash board. Is one method preferred over the other? It would seem that using the detachable cable would be preferred...

Which method you use depends on:
- your soldering experience
- how often you want to reflash the boot loader (standard case is to do it once -> method 1)
- avalibility of the connectors (method 2)
You can also think about using pogo pins if you plan a "mass production" of new-flashed mcu boards. See #207.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1midniterider
It would appear my board is slightly different than the ones depicted in the firmware flashing document. Instead of pin holes for the test points, mine has actual pads.

Attachments

• 20240427_080106.jpg
    20240427_080106.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
All MCU boards have only pads. It's up to you how to connect those five wires to the SWD port at the ST-Link (soldering wires or tiny socket connectors). I have used three possibilities:
- wires direct to the pads: fast and easy, but it is dangerous if you want to do it twice or more...
- pin holes broken out from a connector row: this can be used very often if you are careful - use case for intensive testing, that was the MCU board I have used for the pictures (may be misleading but show one of the possibilities)
- if you have soldering skills and the tiny connector at hand, the the connector can be used do flash bootloader as often as you want.

Alternative and most professional would be an adapter with pogo pins. But this is only needed when you plan to flash a lot of boards.

The normal use case is one-time-fashing. For this I prefer now to solder thin wires direct to the pads.

Reactions: WTFDproject

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold