Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

typhoon h feature request- manually set home

Reaction score
typhoon h feature request- manually set home.

It would be nice if there was the ability to set the return to home position manually in the
pc app or from the st16 controller .

maybe just type lon and lat and save as a failsafe incase there is gps errors or such .

just an idea if yuneec is watching .

this would also help for those that start out with gps disabled as the drone would know where home
is if enabled mid flight .

Since the ST16 has a separate GPS, that is the home point. There are good reasons. If you move a half mile with the controller while in flight you really want the home point to stay with the controller. If there is a GPS failure the home point isn't going to save the day.

Remember, when you turn off the GPS on the H it actually keeps functioning. It's never off, the Flight Controller inside the H just ignores GPS as an input. As a result, the H and the ST16 always know the location of each other.

Reactions: Rayray
think you totaly missed the point . if they wrote the h firm ware in such a way that if the h would check its error logs ( or create such ) in the flight controller
and it seen a gps failure or glitch . if you had a home ( lon and lat) configured and saved into the flight controller ( an on and off for the feature would be required ) the h would head to that location rather
than using the glitched or possible incorrect data from the gps .

this would have to be configured by connecting the h to the pc and changing the setting . the on and off could be selected from the st16 .

everyone does not always want the home point to be changing during flight .

just a suggestion if yuneec is watching

think you totaly missed the point . if they wrote the h firm ware in such a way that if the h would check its error logs ( or create such ) in the flight controller
and it seen a gps failure or glitch . if you had a home ( lon and lat) configured and saved into the flight controller ( an on and off for the feature would be required ) the h would head to that location rather
than using the glitched or possible incorrect data from the gps .

this would have to be configured by connecting the h to the pc and changing the setting . the on and off could be selected from the st16 .

everyone does not always want the home point to be changing during flight .

just a suggestion if yuneec is watching
I didn't miss the point at all. If the GPS on the H fails then the home point is useless. If the craft can't use GPS then it cannot navigate to a home point.

ahh your right . maybe i should have said if the flight controller Senses a change in the home position that is a unrealistic change from last position
it would revert to using the defined home position .

The last time I checked---THIS MAY BE WRONG---if the H is flying and if the ST16 goes dead (you dropped it in the lake), the craft will return to its original take-off point. Updates may have done away with this...

thats the way its supposed to work . but there is reports after reports of fly aways with the h . just making a suggestion in case the home point get jumbled somehow ..

extra fail safe .

The last time I checked---THIS MAY BE WRONG---if the H is flying and if the ST16 goes dead (you dropped it in the lake), the craft will return to its original take-off point. Updates may have done away with this...
Actually it returns to the ST16 or the last known position of the ST16.

TH-HomeMode.JPG
Note above the difference between "home point" and "active home point" (ST16).

I believe the craft only knows the ST16 position in real time, dynamically, saving nothing. It does remember the spot from which it took off.
If the ST16 control signal is suddenly lost and stays lost, its position is lost. Very rare (and unfortunate) test.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
When watch the rear led light is flashing white it's updating home position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the Manual:

In Home (also known as Return to Home) Mode.
In Home Mode the GPS connectivity will fly back Typhoon H in a straight line in the direction of the pilots’ current location, and automatically land within 13-26 ft of the pilot.
If Typhoon H ever loses the link with the ST16 Ground Station it will automatically enter Home Mode.

There is only one home point and it is always the location of the ST16. There is good reason for this method. Example: you sit in your convertible, launch the H, put it in follow me mode and start driving for 5 miles. You suddenly lose control signal. Now, where would you prefer it to land? You definitely don't want it to fly back to the launch point. This has been well thought out by Yuneec.

A matter of interpretation, see my revised post above. A moot point anyway, cause I ain't gonna test it.
A good question to ask our Yuneec tech contact next time just for his entertainment.

If the H loses GPS but still maintains link with the ST-16 you maintain a "dynamic" home location. If both GPS in the H is lost, and link with the -16, there is no possibility of the H returning to any specific location, pre-set, dynamic or otherwise. If it does not know where it is, or where anything else is (loss of GPS position reference data and loss of RC signal) there's not a **** thing anyone can do. It's one of the prices of relying on technology instead of maintaining full manual position control at all times.

Something that may be of interest is a difference between military and hobby equipment. If military stuff loses both GPS and control link for a previously established period of time the military stuff is often programmed to self enter a "terminal mode" and fly itself into the ground at a high rate of speed. Hobby grade stuff lacks that sophistication and leaves a small chance of the owner recovering the unit if they marked it with contact information. A slim chance, but still a chance.

My point here is that if the H is the device that loses GPS, and typically that is the case in GPS loss events, you could have programmed a location accurate to the inch and it would not matter. It would have no current location data to reference back from, and no means of navigating to a place that could not exist without an active GPS unit. The only hope of a self return is through the remaining link with the -16, be it stationary or moving. We cannot totally rely on having a continuous and effective GPS data reference for the aircraft to track or return to. GPS is not perfect.

As one that has experienced a fly away, in my case the -16 knew where the H was for the entire event, and the link that was maintained with the aircraft permitted a reference location that permitted locating and recovery. In my case things happened fast and LOS was blocked by trees, which prevented application of effective manual control that could have brought the H back instead of finding a perch in a tree. A programmed home point would not have worked in that event but the link with the -16 might have been used to save the day. Don't know for sure that it would have but anything relying on a GPS location had no chance. Another action that might have been effective would have the -16 placed in Angle mode with no further inputs in hopes the aircraft ceased directional flight. Lessons learned...

In effect, we do have somewhat redundant navigation/RTH functions in the H. GPS of course, but when that fails we have the dynamic link with the H. Associated with that dynamic link is the directional arrow on the video screen. Something to consider is what if a home point had been programmed into the H and the owner was on a boat performing a follow. What would happen if the H lost link when the boat was a couple miles from the take off point? If the boat location at time of launch was the take off point, where would the H go? Back to where the boat was at the time of launch of course. Did it have enough battery to get there Was the return path over water the entire distance? It certainly would not go to where the boat currently was, unless it had a dynamic link with the controller.

What's interesting is that regardless of what we are provided there's always something people want that wasn't provided. If there's a thousand users there's probably a thousand, or more, different wants, and that's just not possible to cover for less than a few tens of thousands of $$. I have them as well. I wish the H was programmed to auto land, in place, any time link is lost for >3 seconds. Perhaps permit the users to adjust that lost link period to something they found more suitable for their situations. But if it had that capability there would be people that would complain it had it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:
------snip---------
In effect, we do have somewhat redundant navigation/RTH functions in the H. GPS of course, but when that fails we have the dynamic link with the H. Associated with that dynamic link is the directional arrow on the video screen. -------snip------------.

There is not a lot of mention from Yuneec about the green directional arrow seen on the screen during flight. Does the arrow represent direction of flight? If it indicates direction, is it in reference to North? Does it represent the position in the video shown on the screen or only indicate direction of travel?

It represents the location of the -16. There are a few threads that already cover the subject. Use the search function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is only one home point and it is always the location of the ST16.

Steve is 100% correct, as he usually is.:)

Our Yuneec tech expert confirms that the H, upon losing ST16 control, at present returns to the last known position of the ST16 and hovers. It will auto-land there when the battery reaches 2nd warning. Of course if the link re-connects, the ST16 can resume control.

Apologies to Steve...:):)

Reactions: GlideAL
There is not a lot of mention from Yuneec about the green directional arrow seen on the screen during flight. Does the arrow represent direction of flight? If it indicates direction, is it in reference to North? Does it represent the position in the video shown on the screen or only indicate direction of travel?
Think of the green arrow as the direction to move your right stick to bring the H back to you.

Reactions: Rayray
Think of the green arrow as the direction to move your right stick to bring the H back to you.

Many thanks for your reply. What finally clarified it for me was the arrow represents the bird in relation to the controller. That explains why moving the right stick in the direction of the arrow will bring the bird to the controller.

Hello, I have a doubt, I do not see the green arrow in my ST16, you have to activate it from any menu option ?.

Update the drivers to the latest version, is it no longer available?
Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook