Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H had a mind of its own.

Reaction score
Was flying my Typhoon H last night and received low battery. Tried to fly it back and it was not even that far away. Maybe 50 feet away. But the controls did not work at all and it took off. Looking at Telemetry the last reading shows altitude at 35 Meters. Does this mean that it then lost power and fell 35 meters like a rock? Was in open area so just trying to pinpoint where it could be.

I assume you only got one battery warning.
From about 35 mtrs up the H would normally have gone in powerstress-mode and land safely, before batteries are dead.

Look at the telemetry showing last GPS location, not altitude. It likely self landed at the last noted GPS location.

OK I found it. I did look at Telemetry and then put in coordinates in Google maps. It went from the open space behind my house and then ended up going thru my neighborhood and landed safely on someone's driveway. Just went and knocked on their door and said "Did you guys have a drone land in your yard last night." They started freaking out and asked how I knew where it was. Only 2 props broken. So I will consider myself lucky. I had not flown it in about 3 or 4 weeks so I should have gone thru the calibration again. I wont make that mistake again.

Reactions: GWA1225 and zandoli
Mark,
So glad you got her back in flyable condition. May want to post your telemetry file here. May help others down the road.

OK I found it. I did look at Telemetry and then put in coordinates in Google maps. It went from the open space behind my house and then ended up going thru my neighborhood and landed safely on someone's driveway. Just went and knocked on their door and said "Did you guys have a drone land in your yard last night." They started freaking out and asked how I knew where it was. Only 2 props broken. So I will consider myself lucky. I had not flown it in about 3 or 4 weeks so I should have gone thru the calibration again. I wont make that mistake again.

Great you found it...!

:)

Change the file type from .csv to .txt and stick it here. If that doesn't work open a Dropbox account if you don't already have one and place it in a new shared folder, then provide a link to the folder.

I'm wondering if you had accidentally hit to toggle from angle to smart mode. In smart mode, it will not get very close to you before it stops and hovers. Also, if you're battery was low, it may have automatically switched to return to home mode.

Of interest is what the battery levels were at when it took off on its own and antenna orientation at the -16.

Here is the TXT Telemetry file. batter was low but I knew that as I was only going o fly it for about 1 minute to look over the ridgeline behind my house. Was at 15.2. Landed at 13.9. You will also notice a delay when I did get it landed after about 30 seconds or so. Then tried to bring it back to me and that is when problems started.

Attachments

• Telemetry_00061.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Here is the TXT Telemetry file. batter was low but I knew that as I was only going o fly it for about 1 minute to look over the ridgeline behind my house. Was at 15.2. Landed at 13.9. You will also notice a delay when I did get it landed after about 30 seconds or so. Then tried to bring it back to me and that is when problems started.
Mark, it's never a good idea to launch with a partially charged battery. When doing so the voltage will drop very quickly as you climb.

In any case this is what the telemetry shows:
30:10 Take off; voltage drops to 14.5v and 1st Low bat warning
30:13 2nd Low bat warning.
30:29 RTH landing
33:48 Second takeoff, bat 14.5v, GPS is turned off.

Somehow you must have turned off the GPS when you started the motors the second time. The telemetry show there were 20 sats locked on, but the GPS was turned off manually.

Once I took off the second time I was really only trying to bring it back to me about 50 feet. Reason is I landed the TH but it was in open field behind my house but bob wire fence between me with a creek bed. So I thought I could bring it straight to me. Don't remember turning off the GPS so maybe since battery level so low it automatically turned off? Also I thought my batteries were charged from what I could tell when I put it on the charger and I had a green light on charger. I use the Venom 4 battery charger. So I went and put them in store mode and then will fully charge them when I go and fly again soon.

Once I took off the second time I was really only trying to bring it back to me about 50 feet. Reason is I landed the TH but it was in open field behind my house but bob wire fence between me with a creek bed. So I thought I could bring it straight to me. Don't remember turning off the GPS so maybe since battery level so low it automatically turned off? Also I thought my batteries were charged from what I could tell when I put it on the charger and I had a green light on charger. I use the Venom 4 battery charger. So I went and put them in store mode and then will fully charge them when I go and fly again soon.

Mark,

Are you talking about the Venom 4 port balance charger, with the TH battery slots? If so, always make sure the battery is fully seated.

Having a system or log to ensure you know if a battery has been charged after discharge is key. I have put in a known discharged battery and got the green led. Pushing firmly, or reseating gives me the red charging led.

Knowing the battery is not fully charged before charging is a must to avoid what likely was a false full charge indication.

Glad you were able to recover, but sounds like operational procedures might have done you in.

Jeff

If you are not recording post charge voltages and checking voltage levels after system power up you don't know what state your batteries are in, you are hoping an automated system took care of them and discounting the possibility of human or system errors.

What voltage do I want again on the Yunnek factory battery? And what about the UltraX 6300 battery? I am guessing 15.4 for at least the Yuneek brand battery

Last edited:
Full charge state for either battery should be ~16.6 when read through the ST-16 and between 16.6 and 16.8 when they complete a charge cycle.

Peak voltage is determined by cell count, not mA capacity. Charge rate is determined by mA capacity. If using a programmable after market charger, set it for 4S (4 cell) and at least 5.4 amps (5400 mA) to a maximum of 6.3 (6300 mA) amps. If you set the timer, set it to 1.3 hours. Also set the charger to "balance charge". If you're also using an AC-DC power supply to drive the charger, set the power supply voltage to 16v. A programmable charger terminates the charge cycle when the battery is full when programmed correctly.

If you have been removing batteries from the charger when they hit 15.4v you have been starting out with batteries only half charged.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWA1225

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BengalFlight