Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H long mission questions

Reaction score
Hi all,

This will be my first post here so greetings to you all from the warm Indonesia :)

So I've been flying phantom 3 pro and p4 (sold the p4) for 5 months now. One thing that keeps me flying is the ability to do long range mission, the kind that put the bird so far where RC signal is lost. Somehow I just hooked to doing this. I use Litchi, and now even planning to create simple web based mission planner that will be interoperable with Litchi Mission Hub (just to tell you all how I love doing this :) ).

One thing that (somewhat) disappoint me however, is that with Phantoms the gimbal pitch control (in curved path mission) can only be done when RC signal is within reach. This is because with Phantom it need to borrow the processing power of the connected tablet to control the gimbal smooth movement, because of limited computing resource onboard aircraft (so I was told in PhantomPilots :) ).

I had my eye on Typhoon H for sometime now, maybe to replace my P3P or to complement it, but have difficulties getting clarification on these (or maybe my web searching skill sucks):
  1. Can the T.H. be flown out of RC range, and if it can does it able to have it's gimbal yaw and pitch pre-programmed? With Phantom I can only pre-program the aircraft yaw (gimbal yaw cannot be controlled in Phantom) but gimbal pitch only work if within RC signal coverage.
  2. How relieable and trustworthy is the RTH function?
    I knew from here
    that T.H. RTH function is that if its below 10 meter it will fly to 10 meter, if its above 10 meters it will maintain altitude while flying home. Can I override this with a certain RTH altitude like I can with Phantoms? If I cannot, how reliable is the obstacle avoidance system on a RTH?
Please share your long mission experience on T.H. , would love to hear any story, good or otherwise.

-
Rudi

Oh and, the ST16 is as big as a Mavic.. and I LOVE IT :)

Hi all,

This will be my first post here so greetings to you all from the warm Indonesia :)

So I've been flying phantom 3 pro and p4 (sold the p4) for 5 months now. One thing that keeps me flying is the ability to do long range mission, the kind that put the bird so far where RC signal is lost. Somehow I just hooked to doing this. I use Litchi, and now even planning to create simple web based mission planner that will be interoperable with Litchi Mission Hub (just to tell you all how I love doing this :) ).

One thing that (somewhat) disappoint me however, is that with Phantoms the gimbal pitch control (in curved path mission) can only be done when RC signal is within reach. This is because with Phantom it need to borrow the processing power of the connected tablet to control the gimbal smooth movement, because of limited computing resource onboard aircraft (so I was told in PhantomPilots :) ).

I had my eye on Typhoon H for sometime now, maybe to replace my P3P or to complement it, but have difficulties getting clarification on these (or maybe my web searching skill sucks):
  1. Can the T.H. be flown out of RC range, and if it can does it able to have it's gimbal yaw and pitch pre-programmed? With Phantom I can only pre-program the aircraft yaw (gimbal yaw cannot be controlled in Phantom) but gimbal pitch only work if within RC signal coverage.
  2. How relieable and trustworthy is the RTH function?
    I knew from here
    that T.H. RTH function is that if its below 10 meter it will fly to 10 meter, if its above 10 meters it will maintain altitude while flying home. Can I override this with a certain RTH altitude like I can with Phantoms? If I cannot, how reliable is the obstacle avoidance system on a RTH?
Please share your long mission experience on T.H. , would love to hear any story, good or otherwise.

-
Rudi

Oh and, the ST16 is as big as a Mavic.. and I LOVE IT :)
Hi bungrudi.
First of all, I'd like to say that I always fly VLOS so I have no first-hand experience of long distance flying.

Others may disagree with me but I don't see the TH as a long-distance aircraft. However, having said that, I know that folks are sometimes able to get a couple of miles out with it, especially if using antenna mods.

To your question 1. I believe not.

To question 2: RTH on the H is pretty reliable and trustworthy and since, at least, the November firmware update you have been able to set the RTH altitude via the ST16 to anything up to 119m...a vast improvement on the 10m that was initially set by the manufacturer in earlier firmware.

I'm sure folks with better knowledge than me will be along shortly that will better answer your questions but I hope this helps you,

Reactions: bungrudi
RTH is not a problem, and you can now pre-set the height of return. If the RealSense is installed you can switch it on during RTH.

Problem: The H will initiate RTH on its own if the control signal is lost, and come back till it regains the signal.

Sorry to say, but the Typhoon H is not designed or intended to be a long range craft, no matter how you mod it.
Good luck.

Reactions: bungrudi
Thanks for the confirmation guys,

Well then, apparently Typhoon H is not for me.
Sick looking craft though. I love the ST16 and the craft 6 rotor design. Oh well... :)

Thanks for the confirmation guys,

Well then, apparently Typhoon H is not for me.
Sick looking craft though. I love the ST16 and the craft 6 rotor design. Oh well... :)

Certainly in Europe and the US, flying beyond radio contact is illegal for nearly all users. DJI turn a blind eye to this by allowing third party tools like Litchi to perform such tricks, but Yuneec are a little more conservative I'm afraid.

The reason is simple and obvious - a 2 kilo flying object that is not under direct control is a serious hazard and quite capable of injuring or killing someone, or causing severe property damage. Long distance missions are particularly dangerous as you're stressing the drone beyond it's official tested limits.

There are other concerns regarding illegal uses for unmanned vehicles, so you should be aware that you could get yourself into quite serious trouble. I don't want to discourage you from enjoying your hobby, but you should be aware of the risks you are taking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22