Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Want to help make a better manual?

If you mean when they do the front flip, you turn it so the two lit leds face forward then flip forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well ... sort of ... but I've always held the craft where I had the two blinking led's to my left and right and spin the craft forward and when they stop blinking then I rotate the craft to the left so the blinking led's are once again to my left and right and spin forward and repeat until I hear the completion sound and set it down and check for the proper light blink. Seems to work for me.

Indeed. Once you start the process, keep it consistent, and quick. Installed propellers really slow the process down so remove them before starting it. You also won't be holding a powered up, multi-bladed carving knife that way. Re-installing props and gimbal are just too easy to leave them on when calibrating the compass.

Nicely done PatR ... however I was wondering when you are explaining about the compass calibration is there a particular direction that you rotate the craft, left or right, before you spin it ?? I've noticed in the instruction videos from Yuneec they always rotate it to the left, not sure if it even matters. Also is there a particular direction to spin the craft, forward or backward, I noticed the video shows forward. Again, not sure if this matters or if I'm being a bit out of place asking ... stupid in other words ;)

Don,

Stupid is the question that wasn't asked. Perhaps dumb is a better word. If we don't know and fail to ask, we then assume, which can be a pretty dicey thing to do.

I think purely by accident I do it the same way as shown in the Yuneec videos. The forward flip is for me easier than the other way around. I have found with Chinese videos, regardless of brand, that what you see is often as important as what they say, especially since they fail to say quite a lot. If we figure they are doing something the way they are out of habit, and that habit was developed after a lot of trial and error, what we are seeing might well be really important. I've spent a lot of time with APM/Pixhawk based systems and how they are manipulated during compass calibration is quite important.

What I know for sure is the only time I've had a compass cal fail was when I took too long to complete it, and those times were only when the propellers were left on. They really get in the way when manipulating the aircraft. If the process gets completed in a minute or less they usually take as long as the light flashing completes before moving to the next pair. In an earlier Yuneec product, Typhoon 500 or 4k I think, there was alleged to be mention of completing the process in 1 minute.

Don,

Stupid is the question that wasn't asked. Perhaps dumb is a better word. If we don't know and fail to ask, we then assume, which can be a pretty dicey thing to do.

I think purely by accident I do it the same way as shown in the Yuneec videos. The forward flip is for me easier than the other way around. I have found with Chinese videos, regardless of brand, that what you see is often as important as what they say, especially since they fail to say quite a lot. If we figure they are doing something the way they are out of habit, and that habit was developed after a lot of trial and error, what we are seeing might well be really important. I've spent a lot of time with APM/Pixhawk based systems and how they are manipulated during compass calibration is quite important.

What I know for sure is the only time I've had a compass cal fail was when I took too long to complete it, and those times were only when the propellers were left on. They really get in the way when manipulating the aircraft. If the process gets completed in a minute or less they usually take as long as the light flashing completes before moving to the next pair. In an earlier Yuneec product, Typhoon 500 or 4k I think, there was alleged to be mention of completing the process in 1 minute.

PatR ...

You are 100% correct sir ... I do take my gimbal and blades off before doing a compass calibration ... I really don't like that camera flipping all around ... can't be a good thing for it. I didn't know there was a time limit with the H .. I guess I must be doing it quick enough since I have never had a problem calibrating it since I have had it. You are correct with the Q500 4K also .. there is a time limit and I have had to redo that one several times before getting it to accept the calibration ... getting a bit slow with age I think they call it.

And yes ... stupid may be a bit harsh ... there are no stupid questions !!

Hi!

I would like to talk again about compass calibration.
"PatR" recommends to remove the gimbal. As I read some other mentions it to. I also like to remove, as I don't
like to see the camera dances around ...
Yuneec video and other video shows camera attatched.
Typhoon H unofficial manual, I think I saw it mentioned to remove gimbal, but now no info about it???
If You do calibration without gimbal and reattach it after, could it interference the compass with gimbal motor magnetic field??
I am just confused :)

Best regards.

If You do calibration without gimbal and reattach it after, could it interference the compass with gimbal motor magnetic field??
I am just confused :)

YuneecUSA has assured us that cam on or off has no effect on compass calibration. Be careful removing and reattaching the gimbal. Make sure the electrical contacts are not stuck down,etc. Happy Flying.:)

Reactions: Paranull
The gimbal does not reference nor contain a compass, the only fixed references are front of aircraft and center of Z axis for zero reference. Center of Z axis is established during gimbal calibration. Having a lot of experience with gimbals, I'll continue to remove mine when calibrating the compass. "Camera on" has no effect on the calibration but certainly impacts the drive system in the gimbal.

Reactions: Paranull
I've decided to start an editable document for everyone to help contribute information for a better manual.

The first stage will be completely open for all to help. Second stage will close for only a select few to actually edit, but everyone can make comments for things to be added or changed.

Anyone who helps is welcome to leave a note on the last section!

Please Please Please don't troll.

Link to the document is here:
Typhoon H manual

EDIT: Posted wrong link

Hello everyone, I joined last week when I was waiting for my Typhoon to get delivered. I think it is great that yall will be making a better manual since there are many things just not said. I have looked at the manual you are making and think it will be a fantastic piece of reference.
I do not know if you may be planning on this or not but how about a "caution - things not to do" section. It is easy to write how to run it but no matter how it is done there is always a mistake made. the biggest issue with mistakes is a small one can cost a lot of money. An example is that I run a golf course and Monday we noticed a home owner looking in our trees. he took his son and the new drone into his front yard and started it up. in just a few minutes it went over the houses and he hit the land button and never saw it again. I am sure it is in the top of one of our trees but you cannot see it from the ground. while it was not too expensive it most likely cost him $200-$300 and the money he had to spend to go buy his son another one until they can find the first one. Even though I have been chomping at the bit to fly my new Typhoon this made me realize that its not the one I should use to learn how to fly them. so I ordered a cheaper one to learn on and who knows maybe when I get it I will be able to locate his in one of our trees. I got the typhoon for doing photography around my golf course. there is thousands of things it can help me with on my course. I'm glad I learned my first lesson by someone else.
One thing that could be added to this section is photos of crashed drones. I know that the typhoon is not a toy and should never be treated like one.
Just a thought.

If you had a bit more experience you could use you H for a drone SAR mission;) Don't try that until you feel ready though.

I'll add a couple items for what not to do.

1) Don't overlook the SD card that comes with the H. It contains a lot of useful reference material for those that choose to look at it.

2) Do not use RTH during a period of lost GPS or compass error. Use Angle mode and manually direct it back to you.

3) Do not panic if you accidentally enter Pad mode while adjusting camera settings. The H will immediately come back to you and hover until either the battery runs down, in which case it will lower the gear and land, or you decide to exit Pad mode and get back to Flight Mode and take back flight control.

4) Do not fly so far away you cannot visually identify which way your H is facing. This is the defining moment for many lost multirotors.

I've decided to start an editable document for everyone to help contribute information for a better manual.

The first stage will be completely open for all to help. Second stage will close for only a select few to actually edit, but everyone can make comments for things to be added or changed.

Typhoon H manual

I would like to see a "trouble shooting section". Example. My Gimbel CG03+ will not rotate or move? Then a check sheet for possible solutions.

Sounds fair.

Trouble shooting line item #1

Many users issues originate with failure to completely review documentation included with the Typhoon H.

If initially experiencing a problem with your Typhoon H, stop all attempts to fly and turn off the system. Start over by reading all the printed documentation that came with your H, review the instructions and videos that are installed on the SD card that came with your H, and visit the official Yuneec website to review documentation for the H system that is present there.

Trouble shooting line item #2

If attempting to perform your first firmware upgrade, visit You Tube or search (use magnifying glass icon) this forum (YuneecPilots) to watch videos specific to the firmware upgrade intended. Also review videos specific to the firmware upgrade previous to the one you are about to install since some factors are common to multiple upgrades.

Trouble shooting line item #3

Always verify flight mode prior to launch.
If when flying the H the aircraft moves in a direction different from the control input provided you are likely in the Smart Mode and have the aircraft too close to you for control inputs that would make the aircraft move closer to you. Return to line item #1.

If it fails to fly the intended direction when in Angle mode you may have lost directional reference with the aircraft and it was facing a direction different from what you thought it was when you performed the control input. All control functions reference the front of the aircraft in Angle mode so if the nose is pointed to the right of you and you input right roll the aircraft would move towards you. The aircraft would move right relative to the direction the nose is facing. If the nose of the aircraft had been facing you and you input right roll, the aircraft would move right relative to the nose but to the left relative to you.

Last edited:
This is a Sticky Thread about creating a manual. Please confine posts to that topic or they will be deleted.

Typhoon H manual

It took a phone call to Yuneec to realize that the ST16 doesn't take micro usb above 16 gig. (for updates)

If you had a bit more experience you could use you H for a drone SAR mission;) Don't try that until you feel ready though.

I'll add a couple items for what not to do.

1) Don't overlook the SD card that comes with the H. It contains a lot of useful reference material for those that choose to look at it.

2) Do not use RTH during a period of lost GPS or compass error. Use Angle mode and manually direct it back to you.

3) Do not panic if you accidentally enter Pad mode while adjusting camera settings. The H will immediately come back to you and hover until either the battery runs down, in which case it will lower the gear and land, or you decide to exit Pad mode and get back to Flight Mode and take back flight control.

4) Do not fly so far away you cannot visually identify which way your H is facing. This is the defining moment for many lost multirotors.

Pat why would you not use RTH ?? If a pilot has become incapacitated or someone else needs to take over to get the aircraft back, there would probably be no way an inexperienced person could get it back in angle mode when they could just flick the home switch and wait for it to come home

Reactions: spotondl
There will always be times a feature such as RTH will be both useful and practical. However, to always rely on RTH demonstrates a high level of complacency, and perhaps lack of proficiency. It's more fun to challenge yourself with a manual fly back too, and there's often some great shots to be had when we take an indirect route back.

There will always be times a feature such as RTH will be both useful and practical. However, to always rely on RTH demonstrates a high level of complacency, and perhaps lack of proficiency. It's more fun to challenge yourself with a manual fly back too, and there's often some great shots to be had when we take an indirect route back.

my question is in response to our certification for commercial work where we need to demonstrate emergency procedures for the event a pilot is suddenly taken ill or incapacitated, and there may be no other experienced person able to get the aircraft home safely, so procedures need to be in place to show someone how to do that - we have emergency incapacitation cards attached to the transmitters which show an inexperienced person/bystander how to make the area safe, deal with the pilot, and initiate the rth feature to get the aircraft home and turn everything off - that was the point i was making

Reactions: CHO and sauerjc
We don't have the same requirements here. Thanks for expanding our knowledge. Considering such a situation, I would think an auto land in place feature might also be incorporated to land the aircraft in place, permitting more attention to be provided the incapacitated operator and less to the aircraft. Less attention needs be devoted to an aircraft initiating an automated descent if such action was deemed safe under the conditions present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, because of you guys I had a flawless first flight yesterday
The check list and videos that was posted was genius! I can't wait to get in the air again.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 25
Great idea to write a manual from the users perspective, Yuneec's manual needs a number of areas covered to help first time users get to the point of their first flight ASAP. A quick start guide is essential to ensure the basics are covered for a rewarding and continual experience of the Typhoon H.

I am a first time user, and frustrated at the lack of guidance in the Yuneec manual - today my wife will be out all day and I will have peace and quiet to concentrate on ensuring my first flight tomorrow at a 200 acre Model Airplane Flying Club will encourage me to fly to Mexico to shoot stunning videos not possible in the USA..

So far I have taken it out of the box, put the propellers on and charged up my 3 batteries and the controller battery.

Where are any words on Bindings, connecting with Wi-Fi, updating to latest version of software (or not), I have punished Google and all three of my internet browsers searching for helpful hints, tutorials, what ever to get my Typhoon H to the point of just calibration. Calibration is important so that the Typhoon H knows it's place in the world and surprisingly the details of this a towards the back pages of the manual..............?

I considered that maybe my Typhoon H is all ready to fly out of the box, and I'm being over stupid, all defaults should be set to Warp Factor at the factory and all I have to do is plug in a charged battery and go................ BUT MY WI-FI IS NOT CONNECTING and I have got frustrated tapping the menu items on the screen and it takes me nowhere continuously. In fairness I haven't been able to devote the time needed in setting up until today.................. lovely wife but so distracting.

So now it's a day of following a few of the very informative YouTube video help tutorials which will hopefully get me up and running before lunch.

Wish me good fortune folks and any pointers will be much appreciated.

Waysideboy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss