Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What do you think? Did I get scammed?

Reaction score
Most of you here (most) have solid judgement - so dissect this scenario. I've been on Ebay since it came out. I was literally one of their first members. Early on I got burned like most people and learned quick how to buy safely. Since then I've been very good at spotting the scammers and avoiding them. I always look for people with good long term feedback and I try to buy from individuals and not huge companies, and if I do buy from a company it's one I know and trust like Carolina Dronz and a few others. I always check feedback and ask questions.

So... I've been looking for a backup Tornado body because I freaking love this thing. I scan Ebay and Amazon for new listings and found a great deal on a H920+ kit still in the box for $1,250.00 and the seller accepts offers. I asked a few questions and they answered with good answers. I sent an offer for $1200.00 and they accepted it. This seller has over 1000 + positive feedbacks going back to the early 2000's so it looks very solid. I received a package from them yesterday - with I kid you not - an old ac adapter instead of my $1200 drone kit in it. I contacted the seller and they claimed it was a mistake. Hmm... ok, mistakes happen but this is one **** of a mistake - mistaking one small package for a $1200 item. What seller doesn't prioritize this sort of thing? So I checked their previous auctions (something I will always check from now on with expensive items) and I found the picture below. So either this cat has about $20K worth of Tornado drones he's clearing out super cheap or I just got screwed. He claims his business partner bought them/they were gifts etc etc. He insisted he let someone else manage his shipping while he was away and it was a mistake. I contacted the computer and economic crimes division in Boca where he lives and forwarded all of the information to them then I dropped it in the seller's lap. I'm giving him til the end of the day tomorrow to provide confirmation that he has shipped the item or i'm pressing charges and most likely the pd there will press separate charges. I can get my money back through Ebay if this is a scam, but if it is he's getting some slotted sunshine. I just despise a thief. It's just so odd that someone with such good long term feedback would do that - so there is a very slim chance this is just a big stupid mistake. If so he seriously needs to fire his stock manager!thumbnail_KIMG0304.jpg

I look at how much recent activity the seller has. Little or no RECENT activity seems to be a target for scammers. They hijack inactive accounts, because they know the real owner isn't watching. If this is a scam, you can bet the guy isn't who he says he is, and he's NOT located anywhere near BOCA. I notice the sellers current feedback does not include ANY of the previous H920s that are shown in the completed items. That seems odd.

I wish you the best with this. There have been a couple times I was certain I had been scammed, and then the item showed up. I hope this is one such incident.

I look at how much recent activity the seller has. Little or no RECENT activity seems to be a target for scammers. They hijack inactive accounts, because they know the real owner isn't watching. If this is a scam, you can bet the guy isn't who he says he is, and he's NOT located anywhere near BOCA. I notice the sellers current feedback does not include ANY of the previous H920s that are shown in the completed items. That seems odd.

I wish you the best with this. There have been a couple times I was certain I had been scammed, and then the item showed up. I hope this is one such incident.

GMTA Sir! You hit all the high notes I usually look for. This person has recent good feedback, so it's just weird all the way around - and the auctions for the H920's are all recent so it's entirely possible that they haven't posted feedback yet. I know I can get my money back if it's a scam, but I want someone's hide nailed to a barn door if it is. I guess i'm old fashioned that way.

Looking the package over, it was sent from the same zip as the seller's Ebay registered address. The zip code on the label can't be faked, it's generated from the USPS system based on where it is shipped from. So if someone did hack an inactive account they must live practically next door to the seller.KIMG0306 2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a very good sign. I was in the middle of another post asking you to check the return address on the package you received. Still might be a problem of course, but it's looking better. I assume you checked the tracking number also, to verify the post location?

Yep, and I pointed this out to the seller - so if they are running a scam they know the pd can and will pick them up since the total of items sold is over the amount necessary to constitute a felony. Such a weird situation. Never realized that Ebay turns you into a detective like owning a Jeep or a VW turns you into a mechanic!

Most of you here (most) have solid judgement - so dissect this scenario. I've been on Ebay since it came out. I was literally one of their first members. Early on I got burned like most people and learned quick how to buy safely. Since then I've been very good at spotting the scammers and avoiding them. I always look for people with good long term feedback and I try to buy from individuals and not huge companies, and if I do buy from a company it's one I know and trust like Carolina Dronz and a few others. I always check feedback and ask questions.

So... I've been looking for a backup Tornado body because I freaking love this thing. I scan Ebay and Amazon for new listings and found a great deal on a H920+ kit still in the box for $1,250.00 and the seller accepts offers. I asked a few questions and they answered with good answers. I sent an offer for $1200.00 and they accepted it. This seller has over 1000 + positive feedbacks going back to the early 2000's so it looks very solid. I received a package from them yesterday - with I kid you not - an old ac adapter instead of my $1200 drone kit in it. I contacted the seller and they claimed it was a mistake. Hmm... ok, mistakes happen but this is one **** of a mistake - mistaking one small package for a $1200 item. What seller doesn't prioritize this sort of thing? So I checked their previous auctions (something I will always check from now on with expensive items) and I found the picture below. So either this cat has about $20K worth of Tornado drones he's clearing out super cheap or I just got screwed. He claims his business partner bought them/they were gifts etc etc. He insisted he let someone else manage his shipping while he was away and it was a mistake. I contacted the computer and economic crimes division in Boca where he lives and forwarded all of the information to them then I dropped it in the seller's lap. I'm giving him til the end of the day tomorrow to provide confirmation that he has shipped the item or i'm pressing charges and most likely the pd there will press separate charges. I can get my money back through Ebay if this is a scam, but if it is he's getting some slotted sunshine. I just despise a thief. It's just so odd that someone with such good long term feedback would do that - so there is a very slim chance this is just a big stupid mistake. If so he seriously needs to fire his stock manager!View attachment 12828
Did you contact eBay. So they can refund you back they do have a policy on this?

I've had issues with Ebay and scrupulous sellers. Recently I purchased 2 920 originals. The sellers bank on you filing a complaint and then offer to send you what was purchased (+ more in my case) if you are willing to cancel the filing and give them 5 stars. Once you've cancelled the complaint there's nothing you can do with Ebay or the seller and they maintain their stellar rating.

Always dirtbags finding ways to scam the system and us!

I've had issues with Ebay and scrupulous sellers. Recently I purchased 2 920 originals. The sellers bank on you filing a complaint and then offer to send you what was purchased (+ more in my case) if you are willing to cancel the filing and give them 5 stars. Once you've cancelled the complaint there's nothing you can do with Ebay or the seller and they maintain their stellar rating.

Always dirtbags finding ways to scam the system and us!

Honestly this is so odd I don't know what to expect. If they don't send proof of shipping and the item's existence by tomorrow they will be contacted directly by the pd - so if someone has hacked the seller's account we will know and I can file for a refund through Ebay.

Honestly this is so odd I don't know what to expect. If they don't send proof of shipping and the item's existence by tomorrow they will be contacted directly by the pd - so if someone has hacked the seller's account we will know and I can file for a refund through Ebay.
More or less the PD can't do anything since it's out of their jurisdiction . File a complaint with BBB.

I wish Ebay would have a page dedicated to the scams committed on their site.

More or less the PD can't do anything since it's out of their jurisdiction . File a complaint with BBB.

It’s actually a federal wire fraud offense. Investigations can often be initiated through the Postmaster General. If the package was at any time carried by the Postal Service you are assured they can initiate an investigation.

In this case, if a credit card was used for the transaction a quick means to recover funds is to give the card issuer a call to dispute the transaction. Recovery is often handled the same day or week of the call. This is one of the major benefits of using a credit card, especially with American Express. We don’t have to play the games involved with eBay or PayPal, or deal with who gets to pay the PayPal fee.

My understanding has two outfits clearing out 920’s obtained from Yuneec. One is moving new units while the other is handling refurbs. The $1,200.00 price for just an airframe seems pretty high to me so that’s an alert item. Yuneec does not like to sell the airframe as a complete unit, just all the parts as separates, so that’s another alert item.

I think giving the until close of business tomorrow to provide a new shipping ticket that includes an item description is a good start but you won’t know what was shipped until it arrives. I would not give them more than 7 days, with Monday as one of the 7, to make amends and the delivery. After that, full speed ahead with claims resolution and fraud filings.

It’s actually a federal wire fraud offense. Investigations can often be initiated through the Postmaster General. If the package was at any time carried by the Postal Service you are assured they can initiate an investigation.

In this case, if a credit card was used for the transaction a quick means to recover funds is to give the card issuer a call to dispute the transaction. Recovery is often handled the same day or week of the call. This is one of the major benefits of using a credit card, especially with American Express. We don’t have to play the games involved with eBay or PayPal, or deal with who gets to pay the PayPal fee.

My understanding has two outfits clearing out 920’s obtained from Yuneec. One is moving new units while the other is handling refurbs. The $1,200.00 price for just an airframe seems pretty high to me so that’s an alert item. Yuneec does not like to sell the airframe as a complete unit, just all the parts as separates, so that’s another alert item.

I think giving the until close of business tomorrow to provide a new shipping ticket that includes an item description is a good start but you won’t know what was shipped until it arrives. I would not give them more than 7 days, with Monday as one of the 7, to make amends and the delivery. After that, full speed ahead with claims resolution and fraud filings.

Agreed on all counts. There are great deals to be found - forum member DCH just bought a killer Typhoon H plus kit that was for sale on Ebay local to me and I was watching it like a hawk, but waited because I had just purchased this kit. Great deals are not unheard of - when Ebay and Craigslist were new great deals were everywhere - but you have to very careful. Now it's a minefield of scammers and Ebay does two things about it, Jack & Sh*t, and Jack left town.

I filed a BBB complaint against EBay way back in the late 90's - even back then Ebay was getting thousands of complaints a month.
I got scammed on Ebay in the 90's also. Had a guy from England that was selling hitech cell phones for cheap. He sold 500 of them and then closed out all of his bank accounts and left us 500 buyers holding an empty bag. Ebay didn't care back then.

Now everyone is working the system. There's a scam to buy vehicles for sale using CC's or money orders. They pick the car up and dispute the purchase and you don't get your car back. Before selling my van a few years back I called Ebay and they verified the scam. I sold my van and the buyer paid in cash. We actually walked over together to the bank to get the cash.

I remember back (90’s) when eBay employees were repeatedly billing buyers for purchases and pocketing the extra money. eBay took years to fess and settle up, which along with the high fraud levels stopped me from using their service. I don’t give trust, it has to be earned, so where there’s historical evidence of issues I steer clear.

Reactions: thoneter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold