Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wind effects on the TH

Reaction score
So I've had my H pro for about 2 weeks now, I decided to fly it around the house this weekend and it was a little windy, but not bad. My H seemed to drift excessively while hovering and and flying around. Drifting was bad enough I didn't feel safe flying it as I didn't have complete control and at one point though it was going to drift into the side of the house. So is this normal if there is a little wind, or is it something else? Any thoughts or advice would be great thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The H is not noted for being unstable in wind. Did you calibrate the system before flying it?

BTW, stability increases with the gear raised when it's windy.

I did calibrate before flight. I didn't have the landing gear up though.

My H advanced does pretty good in wind. Suggestion.....if its windy dont fly around your house...go to an open area.

Bill W.

So I've had my H pro for about 2 weeks now, I decided to fly it around the house this weekend and it was a little windy, but not bad. My H seemed to drift excessively while hovering and and flying around. Drifting was bad enough I didn't feel safe flying it as I didn't have complete control and at one point though it was going to drift into the side of the house. So is this normal if there is a little wind, or is it something else? Any thoughts or advice would be great thanks!

This is my experience with the H during, what I consider, moderately strong winds. I had to make some minor corrections, but other than that it is pretty solid.

I get tangled with the Pro/Advanced naming, but this particular unit did not have the real sense module installed.

The H is not noted for being unstable in wind. Did you calibrate the system before flying it?

BTW, stability increases with the gear raised when it's windy.

As PatR suggests, perhaps it wasn't the wind but calibrations?

Greetings!

.if its windy dont fly around your house...go to an open area.
Bill W.

You brought up a good point, one that deserves some expansion.

As mentioned, the H is more stable in the wind with the gear raised. The reason for the additional stability is due to having less surface area hanging out in the wind. Look at the airframe as you would a sail, but of different shape. All those arms and legs are surface area that offers a place for wind to push against. With the gear up much of the surface area of the landing gear is shadowed by the body and arms, reducing the effective sail area.

Now let's consider where we are flying when in the wind. Close to a structure or tree? Anything the juts out into the wind will effect the flow of the wind. The slope of a hill will create an updraft or a down draft depending on the direction the wind is flowing over it. If the wind is blowing onto the face of a slope you will have an updraft, and that updraft can project far in front of the slope and run to quite lofty altitude. Just a little past the face of that slope the updraft will fall apart and a rotor effect will occur, making for considerable turbulence. Wind blowing down the face of a hill causes a down draft, or sink, which we should be prepared for if flying near a hill on a windy day. Wind blowing against buildings and trees will have a similar effect, although a flat walled building will have more of an effect on the wind than a tree will. You may have a small pocket of smooth air when in the "lee" of a wall or building but move out away from that surface some distance and you should anticipate some level of disturbance to occur.

If the wind is blowing over flat ground the air will be turbulent within a few feet of the ground. Friction with the ground is slowing the lower level wind, and the faster moving wind above what is being impacted by friction causes a "roiling" effect at boundary layer some distance above the ground. The air will become smoother as the elevation increases. As the elevation increases the wind speed will increase somewhat because it no longer encounters ground level friction. You can see the impact of wind and the ground every time you take off and land. Your propellers generate turbulence, which the H does a fine job of dealing with but a launch that quickly puts 10' or so between the aircraft and the ground makes things easier for beginning operators by putting the H into smoother air quickly.

The atmosphere is very much like a river or ocean as it is a fluid. Toss a large rock in a shallow, flowing stream and watch how the the rock disrupts the flow of water. The air we fly in works the same way only we don't normally see it. However, with a little learning and practice we can certainly predict/anticipate what we will encounter based upon the wind speed, terrain, obstructions and be able to plan our flight to obtain the best stability possible regardless of the conditions. Wind does not have to be our enemy if we understand how it interacts with what it blows over and through. Nothing is immune to the effects of wind, although a good flight controller works hard to counter those effects. Even a 747 gets bumped around by wind but a good pilot or operator never puts the aircraft into a situation too great for the aircraft to handle. They avoid those areas.

Last edited:
I know some of the things you have to watch out for is the eddy currents around buildings, other structures, and trees with dense canopies. The eddy current can bounce you around quite a bit and maybe overwhelm the stability of the "H".

I have flown in winds that were 25 mph gusting to 35 mph in an open field with no problems.

When one goes out flying one should be aware of meteorology and thus act as a pilot.
Lift, thermals, turbulence, rotors, downdrafts and many more are common phenomena that you will encounter sooner or later. Even in seemingly easy weather one can be expensively surprised by his own ignorance.

Cheers!

The H is the best in its class in windy conditions. I take my H out when my friends don't dare take their Phantoms up. :)

Hi, my experience is that the "H" can fly in very, very strong wind and gusts but ofcourse it drains the battery faster. And despite strong wind I.m surprised how the video still are perfect. Pure magic in my view how the gimbal can compensate the H movements up and down and sideways. So my recommendation is that you calibrate and wait 3-4minutes on the ground to be sure that you have the sats locked!

If you fly in high winds make sure you have the skills to fly it in angle mode as the smart modes are throttled back and may not have the power to compensate for a high wind gust. Also be aware of flying between two buildings because if the wind is coming straight in between the building the speed wind speed could increase between them ( the Venturi affect )

My H seemed to drift excessively while hovering and and flying around. Drifting was bad enough I didn't feel safe flying it as I didn't have complete control and at one point though it was going to drift into the side of the house. So is this normal if there is a little wind, or is it something else?

Normally a TH in hover drifts about the same with wind or no wind. Drifting laterally at low heights is more a function of GPS control, not wind. (If GPS is OFF, then wind will cause drift.)

Drifting within a radius of several feet is normal, not a cause for worry.

Accelerometer Calibration helps control gusty wind, etc. The latest update also seems to make the TH more controllable close to the ground.

Reactions: yuneec53
My H has been rock solid stable in higher winds. I am actually amazed at how well it hovers. But then again it's newer and had the latest firmware on it and is only a couple months old.

This is my experience with the H during, what I consider, moderately strong winds. I had to make some minor corrections, but other than that it is pretty solid.

I get tangled with the Pro/Advanced naming, but this particular unit did not have the real sense module installed.

As PatR suggests, perhaps it wasn't the wind but calibrations?

Greetings!

It's hard to tell how windy that is, and then you are flying it low, and you get ground turbulence in high winds flying low to the ground and near structures. That looks like some healthy gusts.

It most likely would have smoothed out had you gotten it away from that cliff face and got some elevation away from that ground effect.

It's hard to tell how windy that is, and then you are flying it low, and you get ground turbulence in high winds flying low to the ground and near structures. That looks like some healthy gusts.

It most likely would have smoothed out had you gotten it away from that cliff face and got some elevation away from that ground effect.

You are most definitely right, that particular hover might not seem very stable but the H was fighting the wind very nicely (it was more dramatic looking at it hovering sideways than the stabilized footage), but anyway once on the sky it was rock solid as usual.

Greetings!

I often wonder if POV comes into play when the TH is at a low elevation vs a higher elevation. Mine seems to drift a little (nothing that has me overly concerned) when I'm at low altitudes and near homes or other large structures, then appears more stable when I'm above the "interfering" structures.

That's another point for moving to a large open field.

It could also be that when the bird is closer to you and your eye level, you can see the drift. Maybe it does a similar amount of drifting when it is at a higher elevation, you just don't notice. maybe??

Reactions: Rubik
All MR's drift, some more or less than others, and even that varies day to day between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy