Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

2 Cent Solution to C23 Gimbal Buzz!

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
Well the mad scientist in Dr. FrankenPhoon's laboratory has come up with a 2 cent solution to my gimbal buzz. Literally!

Ever since I got my Plus I have tried to use thread on 40mm filters. Why? Because Yuneec gave me an adapter to do it, so it must be OK, right? And I don't like buying a "Kit" of filters that only has one I really want in it.

For some unknown reason, after a previous FW update -during which I happen to have a filter and counter weight on the camera- the gimbal was only happy with that combination on the camera. Since then I am stuck using a heavy variable ND and counter weight -that I was only testing, not intending to actually use much. Anything else, even the OEM UV Filter, would cause gimbal buzz. I also discovered that it was the total weight added, not the perfect balance of the camera that fixed the buzz.

I have maintained since nearly the beginning that the buzz was coming from the azimuth/yaw motor, not the tilt or pitch. Now I am certain of it. Figuring the azimuth motor was needing the weight and not the other two, I decided to try weighting the gimbal, instead of the camera. The result was instantaneous the moment I stuck a weight on the gimbal arm. With the leverage advantage of being offset, it took a fraction of the weight to stop the Buzz. Two pennies to be exact! :cool:

This is not a true fix, but it works, that's the bottom line. My Buzz is gone no matter what filter/weight combination I use now.?
I am already making a weight that will blend in and look like a million bucks, not a cheap 2 cent hack!

2 Cents-1.jpg

2 Cents-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll offer you 3¢ CDN... ?

Did you try heads in? Did it make a difference? Weird fix, but you can't argue with success. Cool idea.

Mine made an evil noise during the update and I freaked out. Lasted 20 seconds or so and has been fine since.

Reactions: oldfhat and DCH
You kept throwing your two cents in when Yuneec was asking what you wanted to see in your H+. Now you finally put your two cents where it will actually do some good!?

Reactions: Steve Carr and DCH
That's cool. Glad that you got it fixed!

Reactions: DCH
Did you try heads in? Did it make a difference? Weird fix, but you can't argue with success. Cool idea.
Heads in, tails out, heads up, heads down, it did not make a difference, but Abe was getting motion sickness until I set him up so he could look out and see what's goin' on.

Now you finally put your two cents where it will actually do some good!?
Now I need to figure out where to put my humble opinion, ...that doesn't seem to fit many places anymore....

Reactions: Phaedrus
Meeeee toooooo! It's like a weight has been lifted!?
...Except it's been added!? Go figure!

Dude, you should call your studio.. 2centsProduction.

• Haha
Who says old farts can't come up with new ideas.

Who says old farts can't come up with new ideas.
Who you callin an old fart?! Listen up buddy, you're just a young fart, and anybody can tell ya that old farts dissipate, it's the young farts that smell bad and can clear a room! ?...Just so ya know.

But I must admit this is the biggest bang-for-the-buck value this old fart has ever gotten out of his 2 cents in his entire (old fart's) life!!?

Reactions: Grumpy
have someone with 3d printer print up a black or carbon fiber penny but put your faa # on it carbon fiber matches h closer can change weight of printed part with amount of infil in part

Well the mad scientist in Dr. FrankenPhoon's laboratory has come up with a 2 cent solution to my gimbal buzz. Literally!

Ever since I got my Plus I have tried to use thread on 40mm filters. Why? Because Yuneec gave me an adapter to do it, so it must be OK, right? And I don't like buying a "Kit" of filters that only has one I really want in it.

For some unknown reason, after a previous FW update -during which I happen to have a filter and counter weight on the camera- the gimbal was only happy with that combination on the camera. Since then I am stuck using a heavy variable ND and counter weight -that I was only testing, not intending to actually use much. Anything else, even the OEM UV Filter, would cause gimbal buzz. I also discovered that it was the total weight added, not the perfect balance of the camera that fixed the buzz.

I have maintained since nearly the beginning that the buzz was coming from the azimuth/yaw motor, not the tilt or pitch. Now I am certain of it. Figuring the azimuth motor was needing the weight and not the other two, I decided to try weighting the gimbal, instead of the camera. The result was instantaneous the moment I stuck a weight on the gimbal arm. With the leverage advantage of being offset, it took a fraction of the weight to stop the Buzz. Two pennies to be exact! :cool:

This is not a true fix, but it works, that's the bottom line. My Buzz is gone no matter what filter/weight combination I use now.?
I am already making a weight that will blend in and look like a million bucks, not a cheap 2 cent hack!

View attachment 15294

View attachment 15295
Bravo DCH. I'll try that too. My C23 had the exact same symptoms. I suspected that the vibration was lateral, rather than horizontal, as you found (felt at the camera mount base while buzzing). You know, it seems that this group of Yuneec enthusiasts (club) is a peripheral non-paid R&D department for Yuneec. How to monetize this??????

You know, it seems that this group of Yuneec enthusiasts (club) is a peripheral non-paid R&D department for Yuneec. How to monetize this??????
This is the ONLY R&D department for Yuneec!!!?
And exactly why Dr. FrankenPhoon's Laboratory was created!?

Reactions: cbecker125
What adhesive did you use to affix the pennies?
That was a temporary test mount using a low tack Scotch clear double-sided tape to get the right amount of weight. Before flying I re-mounted using 3M double-sided automotive trim tape -much stronger will never fall off.

You might want to experiment with a little weight at a time until the buzz goes away completely. One penny was nearly enough for mine, two made it go away completely. I ultimately replaced the pennies with a small lead weight.

I affixed two quarters which seems to do the trick - no sound/buzzing at all following that. Who knew? For now, I am using good Scotch tape. Thanks for your help man!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval