Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

4k camera settings

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. I'm not new to the quad world, but I'm very new to the photo taking world. I've had lots of other FPV quads, but I've just basically used the camera to see stuff from several hundred feet up. But since I've got this awesome Q500 4K, I'd really like to find the best settings to get the most out of it. I see everyone talking about this format and that format, and it's all Greek to me. Can someone please explain to me the best settings to use In say, normal conditions. And the best in overcast conditions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The camera takes a bit of getting used to. The big problems with the CGO3 3 are white balance and exposure. For the best results with this camera: 1. Fly to your chosen altitude, if you intend filming the ground point the camera at the ground and select one of the options. If it's bright sunny day then select the sunny option (or whatever option is relevant to the weather conditions that you're flying in) on the ST10+ then hit the lock option. This will lock the white balance. 2. lock the exposure by tapping the red button below the white balance. Then tap the big red button that has 'Auto' on it. It should change from Auto to 'M' the exposure is now locked. If you don't do this, as you fly around and turn towards the sun, your video will go dark and spoil the whole video. By locking the 'White Balance & Exposure it will be much better. Hope this helps!

Ren 57, thanks for that tip. since I am a photographer, and only shooting stills, I normally set my camera to RAW and DNG, and correct in Lightroom. I set my white balance to sunny, but have had issues in locking in the exposure. I am afraid to set the camera while in flight, so I try to set it up on the ground, which has been an issue. when I fly and shoot in auto exposure, sometimes the screen is so dark, I can not see what I am shooting. I try to watch the drone from the ground, but when it is in the sun, it is a nightmare, and cant see either the drone or the screen. perhaps I can bring it up about 20 feet, point it down and try to set my manual exposure from that height.
thanks

Ren 57, thanks for that tip. since I am a photographer, and only shooting stills, I normally set my camera to RAW and DNG, and correct in Lightroom. I set my white balance to sunny, but have had issues in locking in the exposure. I am afraid to set the camera while in flight, so I try to set it up on the ground, which has been an issue. when I fly and shoot in auto exposure, sometimes the screen is so dark, I can not see what I am shooting. I try to watch the drone from the ground, but when it is in the sun, it is a nightmare, and cant see either the drone or the screen. perhaps I can bring it up about 20 feet, point it down and try to set my manual exposure from that height.
thanks
Don't worry about setting up your camera in flight. The Q500 will just sit there steady as a rock if you let go of the sticks and you can then set your camera to the relevant light conditions. One thing you may be interested in (as you just take stills) bear with me on this..... If you set the camera in the 'Video Options' to 120fps and then take stills while in that option it has quite a significant zoom effect over the other options that are available. I know the stills you take while in 'Video Mode' aren't quite as good a quality as when in 'Photo Mode' 8mgp instead of 12 mgp but they're still pretty good.

Thanks, one of the issues with shooting in video (as you mentioned) is that many of my clients make large printed brochures from my stills, so I am in need of the largest files I can give them. I used a GoPro hero 3 on my Tarot 810 6 motor drone, and the images were terrible and pixilated. GoPro replaced the camera after I constantly complained, but they were still just as bad. the 4k in the Q500 has been a nice upgrade, but still wish it had less distortion, and a zoom lens.
please elaborate about shooting at the 120 frame rate. are you saying that I can zoom in while flying? I do get clients asking for video, but I've been doing stills for so long, that video is a bit out of my comfort zone and not sure how to do the editing. what are you editing with? I have Adobe Premiere, but haven't been able to understand it. I mostly use Lightroom for my editing. is there an easy but hi quality video editor yo can recommend?

The 120fps is cropped differently. It is not a Zoom of the Lens itself. Photo's capture with the CGO3 will look their best on the sunniest of days. Cloudy = Grainy.

I was Happy to read REN57 comments about exposure. His comment is spot on. Launch the bird, take it up and point the camera at the area you will be filming. Set the White Balance based on the overall conditions of the day and LOCK IT. Sunny, Cloudy what ever. Lock it.

Then point the camera to the area you will be filming and hit that A button. The ISO and Shutter Speed will stay locked based on the exposure that the camera was pointing at.

You might find this link helpful. I came up with some cheat sheets some time ago.
CGO3 Video Modes Quick Reference

The 120fps is cropped differently. It is not a Zoom of the Lens itself. Photo's capture with the CGO3 will look their best on the sunniest of days. Cloudy = Grainy.

I was Happy to read REN57 comments about exposure. His comment is spot on. Launch the bird, take it up and point the camera at the area you will be filming. Set the White Balance based on the overall conditions of the day and LOCK IT. Sunny, Cloudy what ever. Lock it.

Then point the camera to the area you will be filming and hit that A button. The ISO and Shutter Speed will stay locked based on the exposure that the camera was pointing at.

You might find this link helpful. I came up with some cheat sheets some time ago.
CGO3 Video Modes Quick Reference

Thanks, one of the issues with shooting in video (as you mentioned) is that many of my clients make large printed brochures from my stills, so I am in need of the largest files I can give them. I used a GoPro hero 3 on my Tarot 810 6 motor drone, and the images were terrible and pixilated. GoPro replaced the camera after I constantly complained, but they were still just as bad. the 4k in the Q500 has been a nice upgrade, but still wish it had less distortion, and a zoom lens.
please elaborate about shooting at the 120 frame rate. are you saying that I can zoom in while flying? I do get clients asking for video, but I've been doing stills for so long, that video is a bit out of my comfort zone and not sure how to do the editing. what are you editing with? I have Adobe Premiere, but haven't been able to understand it. I mostly use Lightroom for my editing. is there an easy but hi quality video editor yo can recommend?
The best thing to do is just try it. Take your Q out fly it up to about 100ft and take a still shot in the normal photo mode that you're used to using. Leave it hovering in exactly the same position and select video mode. Go into video settings and select 120fps and take a still shot (not video) while in that setting. Compare the 2 shots of exactly the same thing side by side. You'll see what I mean. Yes it's cropped differently, but it's also definitely zoomed. Try it, you'll see.....

thanks, I'll try that on my next shoot.
I just purchased some carbon fiber props, for my Q500, as I had them on my 6 motor Tarot 810 drone and they worked well.

before I install them, has anyone tried carbon fiber props and if so, what was their experience?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop